DJIGO4 v4 . . NOT GOOD!

Reaction score
Just installed and flew first mission with DJIGO4 v4 . . . NOT GOOD!. Flew 14min photo and video within 500m or so and noticed the live video feed was flickering and blooming irregularly. Did not think too much of it at first but as I dropper down to 75ft AGL about 150m away . . . the screen FROZE! and commands stopped working. ( it had just gone below the tops of the trees between me and the subject, a boat launch area). The touch screen was totally unresponsive, and no switched did anything.

I assess the machine is just hovering so I hit RTH . . .nothing . . . I can't issue ANY other command except did not try CSC for obvious reasons and the DJIGO4 software asks me if I want to close the program or wait. . . .at which point it crashed completely and I powered the controller OFF and ON and it came back. The first thing I hear is the RTH audio and the bird comes home.

A new P4P owner who was out with me to observe immediately wondered "what the heck" . . went looking for a better view to see if I'd crashed the drone or not. I was only slightly less concerned until the app rebooted and I could see the machine heading home.

I think there is more work needed before version 4 is ready for prime time. Looking into how to downgrade.

Is this a Phantom 4 Pro PLUS, David?
If it is, there is a button on the top edge of the monitor that will let you power-cycle the monitor/app without powering down the controller.

Is this a Phantom 4 Pro PLUS, David?
If it is, there is a button on the top edge of the monitor that will let you power-cycle the monitor/app without powering down the controller.
P4P+ and yes I know about that but the APP CRASHED . . . talking to dji CHAT right now about it

They want me to FACTORY RESET and lose all my data . . .not sure I want to do that so quickly

Last edited:
Im running a Nexus 6P with my P4P.. And if i go beyond 4-500 meters i lose signal/FPV.. And sometimes the app crashes the phone so i have to reboot it..

Just installed and flew first mission with DJIGO4 v4 . . . NOT GOOD!. Flew 14min photo and video within 500m or so and noticed the live video feed was flickering and blooming irregularly. Did not think too much of it at first but as I dropper down to 75ft AGL about 150m away . . . the screen FROZE! and commands stopped working. ( it had just gone below the tops of the trees between me and the subject, a boat launch area). The touch screen was totally unresponsive, and no switched did anything.

I assess the machine is just hovering so I hit RTH . . .nothing . . . I can't issue ANY other command except did not try CSC for obvious reasons and the DJIGO4 software asks me if I want to close the program or wait. . . .at which point it crashed completely and I powered the controller OFF and ON and it came back. The first thing I hear is the RTH audio and the bird comes home.

A new P4P owner who was out with me to observe immediately wondered "what the heck" . . went looking for a better view to see if I'd crashed the drone or not. I was only slightly less concerned until the app rebooted and I could see the machine heading home.

I think there is more work needed before version 4 is ready for prime time. Looking into how to downgrade.

Below the tree tops?

When you are out of line of site (LOS) because of something between you and your Phantom, you will always have issues. This sounds like one of those times. That makes this seam a little more like operator error than the app. Not saying that to pick on you, but so that you learn from the mistake. RTH on disconnect did its job exactly as designed. Thankfully you had your RTH height properly set, or you may have been looking for a tree climber.

Learn from the lack of LOS issue to take care not to let that happen again. Then practice using RTH from the remote button in a nice clear area with good LOS, so in the stress of another issue you can think more clearly

I tried 2.4 Ghz today.. I were running 5.8 Ghz, which you should not do in europe apparently.. I got further than 1000 m before i started loosing image, so its better with 2.4 Ghz

Below the tree tops?

When you are out of line of site (LOS) because of something between you and your Phantom, you will always have issues. This sounds like one of those times. That makes this seam a little more like operator error than the app. Not saying that to pick on you, but so that you learn from the mistake. RTH on disconnect did its job exactly as designed. Thankfully you had your RTH height properly set, or you may have been looking for a tree climber.

Learn from the lack of LOS issue to take care not to let that happen again. Then practice using RTH from the remote button in a nice clear area with good LOS, so in the stress of another issue you can think more clearly
OK . . I guess I'm not very good at explaining . . . I am an experienced flyer . . 250+ missions on P4Pand Mavic and 3700hrs low level helicopter ops Military and civilian . .It was not my mistake . . the APP FROZE and about 30 sec or so later CRASHED. As for the VLOS . . it was leafless trees and I could actually see it if I wanted to move it back up 20 ft . . but as I looked at the display to achieve 75ft AGL for the photo I looked up to notice it had just gone below the top of a leafless treetops in between . . no loss of signal and so knowing it was safe (over open ice harbour) at least 100meters beyond the 2-3 tree that were between . . I looked back at the display to line up the shot and while doing so the app FROZE . . now maybe those few branches scrambled the signal but I doubt . . just minutes before I noticed the video display flickering and blooming when much higher and closer . . . but did not stop the mission because it was only a short period and went away. . . after an hour chat with DJI tech support it may have been a software version miss-match between controller and DJIGO4 APP. . still trying to decide if I need to do a factory REST to clear any (errant code) as that involves losing clearing all my flight data . . if it does not backup properly

Yes EVERYTHING in aviation is a learning curve. . . . as it should be!

Last edited:
Im running a Nexus 6P with my P4P.. And if i go beyond 4-500 meters i lose signal/FPV.. And sometimes the app crashes the phone so i have to reboot it..
I too have had same thing happen a couple times! Scary stuff when over water!!

It seems like every week my P4P is saying firmware is out of date and needs updates. I did it last week and 5 days later it is saying it again!! Is anyone else experiencing this? Thx!!

It seems like every week my P4P is saying firmware is out of date and needs updates. I did it last week and 5 days later it is saying it again!! Is anyone else experiencing this? Thx!!

Yes.. this happen way to often.. Sometimes it even prevents me from flying.

They want me to FACTORY RESET and lose all my data . . .not sure I want to do that so quickly

You don't really lose any data as all your flights will be on DJI's servers (or you can sync them prior to the reset)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan