DJI will soon be offering an HDMI out for the P3 remote

New Nvidia Shield Tablet gen. 2 coming out this summer, twice the speed of previous tablet. May be the best tablet PERIOD for the Phantom as it will be way more powerful than anything else out there.

Reactions: Cyclone
You are right.
I've been over excited with recent results. I'll tone it down.

My first paragraph actually about the thread topic.... I think is how DJI actually designed their release of the hdmi option.
Thanks for that!

I don't think there will be GPS on it. This was in that same post:

"For Dynamic Home Point, you will need to have a mobile device with GPS integrated, ie one with cellular service."
My Samsung Tab S has gps and I don't have cellular. Best to check if android being looked at has it or not.

Thanks for the post, so glad I passed on the Inspire.
I think DJI is feeling the competition and is in a rush to stay ahead. That's good for all of us.

If DJI is offering a HDMI out capability, they didn't say it means you'll get full 4K streaming video out to a 4K or 1080p capable video monitor, live streaming from the P3. So far the USB out it currently allows for 720p live stream from the quad which gives the Inspire an leg up on the P3. Maybe I missed it but this DJI add-on for HDMI out says nothing about whether it's HDMI 2.0a (4K capable) or just the "old" HDMI out for 720p or 1080p.
As far as DJI making the P3 as capable as the Inspire goes... the Inspire has capabilities that the P3 can't have by mere fact of their differing form factors. Also, believe it or not, and as I'm finding out, there's a prejudice against small quads like the Phantom when it comes to being hired for aerial video projects. Bigger is Better is what a lot of Film/TV and Advertising businesses prefer and laugh at the use of small quads like the P3... IMHO they're idiots.
But show up with an Inspire for a project while the next guy shows up with the P3, guess who wins the gig? Don't flame me for saying it... its a fact, it happens all the time, and it has happened to me. And even more importantly, there are those who insist 8 rotors ( or more) is the only way to go... with the capability of hoisting a Red into the air where as a proprietary P3's 4K camera isn't good enough.

I bought my iPad mini with cellular capability when I realized the WiFi only version didn't allow for accurate flight plans using DJI's Ground Station app. Well beyond the 30 day limit Apple puts on "returns no questions asked" policy, I returned my WiFi only iPad mini to the Apple store 35 days after I bought it, they happily handed over a iPad mini with Cellular and WiFi, no questions asked. I couldn't have been happier. Now my Ground Stations flight plans are spot-on. I know I said I wouldn't be updating my P3's firmware until the next update comes out, but one of the posters here convinced me otherwise (or was it on the P3 Facebook forum?) so I'm updating it. I'm also reading ALL the manuals and guides for the P3. Its clear to me that some P3 owners did the "guy thing" and just started her up and flew her right out of the box figuring they'd read the instructions later. One woman did this and allegedly crashed her P3 on takeoff and I wondered if she had the WiFi turned on her tablet and on her cell phone? Because DJI says all WiFi devices you have on your person need to have WiFi turned off as the TX runs at 2.4Ghz. I've also noted that there are conflicting statements in DJI's own documentation between their Quick Guide and their Manual... one says if the batts run low, it auto-lands right where it is in 8 seconds... the other says if the batts run low, within 10 seconds it will RTH (Return To Home) automatically. There are other conflicting statements regarding the VPS (Visual Positioning System), and the list goes on.

Can you tell me how the cellular version works better for ground station? Do you need a plan or it it that it has GPS?

Can you tell me how the cellular version works better for ground station? Do you need a plan or it it that it has GPS?
Well, proof is in the pudding so to speak. When I used the WiFi only iPad mini, I would program in my flight pattern/path for Ground Station, have the P2 v.3 auto-launch and fly it's pre-programmed flight path/pattern but when it arrived at Waypoint #1, it was consistently 10 meters to the left of where it should have been. After reading online reports by other users of DJI's Ground Station who repeated my own ground-truth findings about using an iPad mini with WiFi only, I exchanged my iPad for one with cellular capability, got it registered with Verizon, took it and my P2 v.3 out again, flew some more waypoints on Ground Station, and it was more accurate. FWIW, I modified my P2 by adding copper foil to the inside of the arms of the quad to shield the ESC's from the GPS unit at the top of the P2 and I consistently get 11 to 12 satellites. I don't think the GPS antenna (which is square I believe) is accurate down to the square foot or square inch like Milspec GPS is, it seems to be accurate within a meter or two... better than 10 meters I'd say! If you have an opposing view or opinion, great! But this what I've found works great with my setup. Your mileage may vary.

BTW, I'm not sure exactly what it is you were asking since you typed "Do you need a plan or it it that it has GPS?" which made pretty much no sense to me. Ground Station allows you to pre-program up to 15 waypoints whereas the iPhone version only allows for 6 waypoints (if memory serves me correctly). I can set waypoints, altitude of each waypoint, speed, heading, and type of turn from one waypoint to the next one. I use it for Photogrammetry.

BTW, I'm not sure exactly what it is you were asking since you typed "Do you need a plan or it it that it has GPS?" which made pretty much no sense to me. Ground Station allows you to pre-program up to 15 waypoints whereas the iPhone version only allows for 6 waypoints (if memory serves me correctly). I can set waypoints, altitude of each waypoint, speed, heading, and type of turn from one waypoint to the next one. I use it for Photogrammetry.
Well, I always thought that in order to use GPS, you had to have cell coverage. I understand after reading a bit, you do. My mini is only 10 days old, I just exchanged it for a cellular version. So I can activate if I need to. I've been caching locations witht the wifi only version

Here are more details on the HDMI upgrade board:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2422113

a7907452-198-20150526_170642.jpg

What software do you use for photogrammetry?

"Do you need a plan or it it that it has GPS?"Ground Station allows you to pre-program up to 15 waypoints whereas the iPhone version only allows for 6 waypoints (if memory serves me correctly). I can set waypoints, altitude of each waypoint, speed, heading, and type of turn from one
chances are you will not require a cellular tablet for ground station on the P3. See note below from the Auto flight logic software team. They have the autopilot app for the P2V+ and are in beta for the P3.
"...The P3 RC has GPS on it, so we are looking at using that GPS signal instead of the phone / iPad as well..."

chances are you will not require a cellular tablet for ground station on the P3. See note below from the Auto flight logic software team. They have the autopilot app for the P2V+ and are in beta for the P3.
"...The P3 RC has GPS on it, so we are looking at using that GPS signal instead of the phone / iPad as well..."
Ya, I saw the Autoflight Logic website and their app for the P2V+ and yes, I hope they come out with one for the P3A and P3P, but I also hope DJI takes their "Guides" to the next level and do the exact thing 3DR did with their Android app where you draw the circle or pattern you want with your finger onto a iOS tablet and then tell it to "GO" and have it do POI or Follow Me and possibly 3DR's new capability where you can have the P3 do quad/camera moves along a flight path and have the quad yaw to keep you subject matter in-frame as the quad flies along your finger-drawn route.

Well I do have a WiFi / Cellular enabled iPad 2 Mini and found that when I used my GS sware and hware, it was more accurate flying to its pre-programmed waypoints. I know this because I use to have a WiFi only iPad 2 Mini and it was NOT accurate in as far as the quad flying to its waypoints... with WiFi only it was approx. 40' off the waypoint I wanted it to fly to... iPad 2 Mini with cellular made it way more accurate. But in all honesty, I also installed copper foil over the ESCs and under the GPS unit internally in my P2 v.3 and I went from an average of 6 sats to 12 sats. and I'm sure that helped a lot too.

Well I do have a WiFi / Cellular enabled iPad 2 Mini and found that when I used my GS sware and hware, it was more accurate flying to its pre-programmed waypoints. I know this because I use to have a WiFi only iPad 2 Mini and it was NOT accurate in as far as the quad flying to its waypoints... with WiFi only it was approx. 40' off the waypoint I wanted it to fly to... iPad 2 Mini with cellular made it way more accurate. But in all honesty, I also installed copper foil over the ESCs and under the GPS unit internally in my P2 v.3 and I went from an average of 6 sats to 12 sats. and I'm sure that helped a lot too.
yea, the P2V is different than P3. The key here is the P3 has GPS in the remote controller, so the position of the tablet and remote controller are equal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj