DJI wants you to call if you have shell cracks

thankfully after 12hr and 50min of total flight time, no sign of cracks on my P3P. When I purchased my P3P from B&H, I also purchased the extended 2 yr warranty.

If I sustain any cracks, I'll submit a claim through my extended warranty instead of dealing with DJI

Reactions: AbsPapa
No cracks on mine either only 2hrs of flight time though. The brace looks like a good preventative step.

No way am I sending it in for 2 months. See how pretty my red zip ties are girls? I'm thinking I will go out and buy multicolored zip ties and maybe put 4 or 5 on each arm for fun.:)

Please explain to me how zip ties will stop a motor that has cracked screw mounts from flying right out of the Phantom?

A new shell is $59 for the P2V. I just swapped it out today. Not a big deal. Take your time and take plenty of pictures as you go. YT vids are helpful. I like the idea of coating the sensitive areas of the new shell with epoxy. I might open it up and do that.

Last edited:
Please explain to me how zip ties will stop a motor that has cracked screw mounts from flying right out of the Phantom?
Hi John. It's not the motor mounting screws that have been an issue. Its the screws holding the end of the arm together.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
My P2 had the above issues. Then it bricked due to other reasons. No use in wasting energy. [Expletive Removed] DJI.

[Moderator edit: F bombs are not allowed. This is a family friendly site!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried any type of reinforcement prior to gettig cracks? and if so, what are your best solutions? Or is it better to just fly till the cracks either come or don't happen?
I've loosened the screws and tightened only finger and thumb to tight, and I mean only screwed in till they stop plus an 8th of a turn. I check before each flight. I've been up 6 times since and all screws are as they were. I've had a couple of brainfarts at about 3 feet which resulted in tumbles with bushes (flying through wooded area low level) .... no cracks, no screws lose ...

Just read this on the DJI Forum, crazy... I find myself reading these forums while drinking my coffee getting ready for work...

Anyway I just have hair line cracks (minor) in one arm but do plan on calling to see what there plans are...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=23241&extra=page=4&page=22&mobile=2
Time to pull out my Ultraprobe 10,000 to start a baseline http://www.uesystems.com/products/state-of-the-art-ultrasound-detectors/ultraprobe-10000

Best preventive is to loosen the screw and re- tighten them until snug by feal. The Loctite that is already there will act a a lock washer to prevent them from backing off. I suspect that DJI tighten them in a cool factory environment then when subjected to higher outside temps and with the expansion of the plastic it causes street and the cracks develop. Backing them off can help!

20 flights in and cracks appearing on one arm , wonder is it safe to fly? dont really want to void the warranty to fix their problem

That's crap. They do not want you to call. If you want to do serious business in the USA, set up some **** offices. And this New Android (PhantomPilots) App, a joke. Many of my posts are gone (more unexplained fly always) - and my photos/videos. What the hell happened. No excuse for this "stuff". Their motto should be "fly 'em hard, we have more".

Reactions: AbsPapa
Hi John. It's not the motor mounting screws that have been an issue. Its the screws holding the end of the arm together.

Actually, I have had more of a problem with the motor screw mounts not just cracking but actually breaking completely loose. There are others who have posted here having the same problem with the motor mount screws. In my case I doubt it was due to vibration because I balance my props and recheck them every so often.
Back a couple months ago I posted what I have found as a cure for the problem. I can't find the post now but it involves literally pouring epoxy all around the motor mount screw holes and I use a Dremel tool to make sure there is clearance for the motor shaft and e-ring to clear without touching any of the epoxy. When replacing any screws, I just tighten until they bottom and then about 1/8th turn more. Then just check them frequently to make sure they aren't coming out. So far, so good.

I will have the reinforcement plates available to ship by Friday. Just waiting on the screws to include in the kit.
Each kit will include 4 plates and 24 screws. Anyone interested can PM to preorder or visit our website.
reinforcement pns.jpg

Just found two tiny cracks on upperbody near front arms, believe my one P2 had these at one point 5 months in to flying. I don't believe these are the cracks other people are posting, but I have not crashed or even had a hard landing. I'm a little surprised as I've only had my P3 for less than 3 weeks.

thankfully after 12hr and 50min of total flight time, no sign of cracks on my P3P. When I purchased my P3P from B&H, I also purchased the extended 2 yr warranty.

If I sustain any cracks, I'll submit a claim through my extended warranty instead of dealing with DJI
I didn't think SquareTrade covered drones?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav