DJI wants you to call if you have shell cracks

This is depressing. So what I'm hearing is that there is (currently) no real preventative measure one can take - correct? Only to safeguard against Phantom-parts-raining syndrome?
Pretty much. So you can take action to help mitigate the problem, or sit and cry about it. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome! Oorah!!!

Reactions: Farmer and ctp
.I like the tie wrap solution. I installed 2 yellow ties on the end of each arm and snugged them up real tight.
IMG_20150707_183856224.jpg
IMG_20150707_184006978_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So I just finished attempting something to circumvent the cracks. Wrapped each arm with a PVC adhesive and molded each to the arms. During the molding process had to heat the ends of the arms to get the wrap to form, hoping some of the heat could possibly dissipate some of the stresses around the screws. You would think the motor heat would have already done that though. To top it off added some stress relieving zip ties to each arm. Not real sure if that actually makes it better or worse though.

As much as anything I am thinking the heating should have relieved manufacturing stresses, backing off all the screws and re-torquing the screws should have helped.

Last edited:
So I just finished attempting something to circumvent the cracks. Wrapped each arm with a PVC adhesive and molded each to the arms. During the molding process had to heat the ends of the arms to get the wrap to form, hoping some of the heat could possibly dissipate some of the stresses around the screws. You would think the motor heat would have already done that though. To top it off added some stress relieving zip ties to each arm. Not real sure if that actually makes it better or worse though.

Got pics?

Looks great. Got a link to the wrap?

HERE

When I first saw it I thought it was real carbon fiber but figured out pretty quick it is PVC. It looks good and is real easy to work with though. If I do get a crack in my ship I will be using the real deal. I don't know as I will even have DJI repair it. If it is going to be 6 weeks I will be laying the carbon fiber, bagging it up with a vacuum pump and injecting the epoxy. Tough decision though given the warranty probably covers it.

Reactions: Kman
You are going to find after opening up your shell that you don't have a lot of room to put stuff under the motor. The motor also has to be free to turn. Look up Bondic. you can get it on amazon. It doesn't set up until you apply UV light. I'm going to experiment with cotton balls. I plan on laying down some bondic. putting cotton down and pushing it into the bondic. Once the cotton absorbs the bondic, apply the UV light. Bonbic has some videos.

I ordered from Bonic website last friday and they hadn't shipped it today, so I cancelled my order and got it off amazon prime cheaper and shipped free. Will be here on Thursday. The bondic will be very easy to spread around the base of the shell supports. Where most of the cracking starts. Once it's all applied and you are happy, then shine the light on it. I also plan on putting it around the 4 screw holes for the motor mount and on the base between those 4 holes inside the shell. Problem with CA glue is that it eventually cracks and delaminates. I think the bondic is going to be a winner. 22 bucks on amazon, why not try it on something. Worth having around the house for plastic repairs if you don't end up using it. No. I don't work for them.

You are going to find after opening up your shell that you don't have a lot of room to put stuff under the motor. The motor also has to be free to turn. Look up Bondic. you can get it on amazon. It doesn't set up until you apply UV light. I'm going to experiment with cotton balls. I plan on laying down some bondic. putting cotton down and pushing it into the bondic. Once the cotton absorbs the bondic, apply the UV light. Bonbic has some videos.

I ordered from Bonic website last friday and they hadn't shipped it today, so I cancelled my order and got it off amazon prime cheaper and shipped free. Will be here on Thursday. The bondic will be very easy to spread around the base of the shell supports. Where most of the cracking starts. Once it's all applied and you are happy, then shine the light on it. I also plan on putting it around the 4 screw holes for the motor mount and on the base between those 4 holes inside the shell. Problem with CA glue is that it eventually cracks and delaminates. I think the bondic is going to be a winner. 22 bucks on amazon, why not try it on something. Worth having around the house for plastic repairs if you don't end up using it. No. I don't work for them.
Got my Bondic from Amazon and the applicator had leaked all over the container-- unusable-- had to reorder.

Just got off the phone with support. They have no idea about what's going on. You have to send in your phantom if you have cracks. Surprised? No.

Looking at the machine screws that hold the shell together, you will see the "blue" Loctite on the threads. Looking at Loctite's website, I found this:

LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER BLUE 242®
NUT AND BOLT LOCKER

Not Recommended For

• Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result

Looking at the machine screws that hold the shell together, you will see the "blue" Loctite on the threads. Looking at Loctite's website, I found this:

LOCTITE® THREADLOCKER BLUE 242®
NUT AND BOLT LOCKER

Not Recommended For

• Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result
Looks like DJI didn't read the specs-- or maybe that didn't use Loctite brand-- these thread lockers are all colored the same for different strengths-- Red-- Blue-- and Green

So here is a suggestion for ya. Cotton balls may work fine but I can tell you that if you can find some fiber optic zip chord you can recover some Kevlar fiber from them. Zip cord is usually orange or yellow and are like small plastic tubes with a fiber optic and a bunch of Kevlar strands. Those tiny golden fibers are unbelievably strong.

Looks like DJI didn't read the specs-- or maybe that didn't use Loctite brand-- these thread lockers are all colored the same for different strengths-- Red-- Blue-- and Green

Do believe you want the Loctite 425, it is blue to.

Loctite® 425™ Assure™ Plastic Fastener, Blue, Medium Strength Threadlocker is designed as a fast curing, low strength adhesive for locking metal and plastic fasteners. The product is designed for pre- or post-application. Loctite 425 cures quickly on plated metal and plastics fasteners; fixturing is achieved in less than 2 minutes and full strength within 24 hours. Fixture speed can be increased by application of a Loctite cyanoacrylate activator - e.g. 7113™. This product is typically used in applications with an operating range of -54 °C to +85 °C.

So here is a suggestion for ya. Cotton balls may work fine but I can tell you that if you can find some fiber optic zip chord you can recover some Kevlar fiber from them. Zip cord is usually orange or yellow and are like small plastic tubes with a fiber optic and a bunch of Kevlar strands. Those tiny golden fibers are unbelievably strong.
Zip cord. Not sure what that is. On the Loctite, just cure it as previously stated

Got the email today that they shipped my order, keep us up to date with it could you...seems like you have the knowledge... Thanks

You have a camera I hope...;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers