DJI Vision Android App Update

gunslinger said:
gpauk said:
gunslinger said:
Has anyone else actually flown with this update yet? I just came back from a flight after the install and I had to back my preview off from 640x480 @15fps to 320x240 @15fps. The Nexus 7 could not keep up with the vid. I couldn't see what was going on in FPV. I'll do some more testing this afternoon, but I've never had that happen before and I'm pretty sure it's the app.

Also... if you have a "max height" set, a warning (that covers half the frickin' screen) alerts you when you've reached it. And the frickin' warning stays right there in the middle of your screen. It's exactly what I want to look at when I'm at my MAXIMUM FRICKIN' HEIGHT !!! Oy vey....

-slinger

Any update on that? I did read someone in another forum reporting something similar....
Does the repeater battery level show up for the PV?

Good question, but I have no answer. Between the screen freezing up and the max height warning I didn't notice.. :D

-slinger

I tested 640x480 30fps video quality and it worked flawlessly on my 2nd gen Nexus 7 and it's noticeably smoother and more responsive than the 640x480 15fps setting. My test was with it on the ground and moving the Phantom around agressively to test responsiveness. Now for an actual long range flight with it set that way. It will be interesting to see the difference in distance I'll be able to fly between the 640x480 15fps vs 30fps setting.

Seahorse said:
Byrdimaging said:
I don't remember being able to select 640x480 30fps before.

Yes you could and it's what I have always used. It's also why I wouldn't bother using a 7" tablet... :arrow:

No the 640x480 30fps has only been available as of the latest software update to the dji app and as a side note is not yet available on iOS as of this post. Hopefully the updated iOS version will also become available soon. Good thing though I have both :)

BenDronePilot said:
I tested 640x480 30fps video quality and it worked flawlessly on my 2nd gen Nexus 7 and it's noticeably smoother and more responsive than the 640x480 15fps setting. My test was with it on the ground and moving the Phantom around agressively to test responsiveness. Now for an actual long range flight with it set that way. It will be interesting to see the difference in distance I'll be able to fly between the 640x480 15fps vs 30fps setting.

I was okay on the ground too, Ben. Once I got it up a few hundred feet, the fun began. I also have the previous version of the Nexus, so it just might not be as fast. It looked, to me, like there's a lot more going on over that link and my Nexus didn't have the resources to handle it.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
BenDronePilot said:

I was okay on the ground too, Ben. Once I got it up a few hundred feet, the fun began. I also have the previous version of the Nexus, so it just might not be as fast. It looked, to me, like there's a lot more going on over that link and my Nexus didn't have the resources to handle it.

-slinger

You may want to do a clean reboot of your Nexus 7 before flying. Android can be quite glitchy and doesn't always clean out the old background programs and tasks well. I find myself having to reboot mine often. Anyway I'll probably get a flight or two in today so I'll let you know the results. It's also worth noting I have modded antennas on both the range extender and Phantom which will improve quality.

BenDronePilot said:
gunslinger said:
BenDronePilot said:

-slinger

You may want to do a clean reboot of your Nexus 7 before flying. Android can be quite glitchy and doesn't always clean out the old background programs and tasks well. I find myself having to reboot mine often. Anyway I'll probably get a flight or two in today so I'll let you know the results. It's also worth noting I have modded antennas on both the range extender and Phantom which will improve quality.

Cool, thanks... I'll reboot the Nexus and take another spin with this version before I downgrade. I'll let you know how that goes...

Hey... I just thought of something. Could you test the altitude limit as well? I'm not sure if that warning was staying on my screen by design, or if the Nexus was choking and couldn't update.

Thanks again...
-slinger

I also had trouble with FPV this morning, flying with the new Android app. Same symptoms (frozen image). I was running an Andoid device (Samsung Galaxy camera). Never had this problem with the previous version of the app.

I will downgrade the resolution in the app and try again. If that does not work, i'll try flying with my IOS device (which runs with an older version of the app).

You'd think it would be simple to identify and correct a bug this big before relasing the new app.... In the meantime, I suggest you stick with the older version.

BDP, mine worked much like Gunslingers... fine on the ground yesterday at first... got it up only 30' and poof no image or highly pixelated and choppy. This was until I went to the lowest preview resolution setting. Never had to do this before on the last android version.
I am using a 2012 version Nexus 7 running 4.4

I swapped over to my iPhone 4 and a older version app and it worked as before but the iPhone 4 was choppy then too because it is not a viable device for the P2V

my dji vision app updated yesterday (had auto update enabled..didn't realize it). the new update is crap. it crashed several times on me yesterday when before the update, I never had issue with it crashing..wtf dji.

piloto said:
I also had trouble with FPV this morning, flying with the new Android app. Same symptoms (frozen image). I was running an Andoid device (Samsung Galaxy camera). Never had this problem with the previous version of the app.

I had the "frozen image" problem this weekend, but it was different. In the past, I could exit the app and restart it. This time, the video was frozen until I completely shut down the phone and rebooted it. i could have probably cleared the app's data or whatever, but restarting the phone was easier. In the past, though, just restarting the app always worked.

-- Roger

Thanks guy's. I can always find answers to problems here. I also had the monitor freeze up after I was up and setting up for a shot. I didn't even think about checking the app. I was blaming the airframe update 3.0....
Again.... Thanks

BenDronePilot said:
Seahorse said:
Byrdimaging said:

Yes you could and it's what I have always used. It's also why I wouldn't bother using a 7" tablet... :arrow:

No the 640x480 30fps has only been available as of the latest software update to the dji app and as a side note is not yet available on iOS as of this post. Hopefully the updated iOS version will also become available soon. Good thing though I have both :)
Seahorse said:
Byrdimaging said:

No.. Yes... I'm confused. I remember having to choose between 640x480@15 and 320x240@30 previously and now I have the option for 640x480@30. I don't think I'm crazy.

I haven't had any trouble with it but then again I don't fly very far away. I'm sure as the signal gets weaker you would need to reduce the quality to maintain connection.

gunslinger said:
Cool, thanks... I'll reboot the Nexus and take another spin with this version before I downgrade. I'll let you know how that goes...

Hey... I just thought of something. Could you test the altitude limit as well? I'm not sure if that warning was staying on my screen by design, or if the Nexus was choking and couldn't update.

Thanks again...
-slinger

Sure,Im running the previous firmware to the new one, and the new dji app on both iphone and android. If i get a chance today i'll give it a whirl, though we're getting 27mph wind gusts so not sure I want to fly very high but I'll feel it out.

I flew my Phantom this evening in the near 30mph gusty winds and it flew rock solid. I used the new version of the iOS and Android app and my P2V is on the previous firmware that's not gimped with the flight safety restrictions. My Phantom has 2 skew planer antennas on it and repeater 12 DBI helical.

I first flew my Phantom a bit past 2,000 feet using my iPhone 5 with 640x480 30fps preview quality and it worked flawlessly without a glitch, I then took the Phantom up near 500 feet with no problems and warnings. If I was on the new firmware my max altitude would have been stuck somewhere between 300 and 380 feet.

Next I used my second gen Nexus 7 with latest kit Kat android os and the latest DJI app. Again I used the 640x480 30fps option. It worked perfectly at first to my 2,000 foot destination but on my way back it began randomly pausing for a couple of seconds at this time. It kept doing this on and off even at closer distance. So their may possibly be issues with the android app. I then proceeded to 500 feet without a problem or random warning messages, I'll do another test flight tomorrow to confirm results.

I love the new app!! Once I noticed that it had changed my preview from 640x480@15 to @30 and toned it back down, my FPV started working as I expected. I was out about 2000' at the time. Then I flew to about 4000' and noticed it said 4000' instead of N/A! Awesome! Since I noticed a big improvement going from @30 to @15, I set it all the way down to 320x240@15 and flew out to 7000'. Lost control soon after but had FPV the whole time! That's no where near my record distance but I've never had FPV beyond 5000' or so. Awesome to finally see the distance while flying like that. P2V and TX are unmodified and the repeater has a pair of 9 dBi cheapo directionals. I fly with the repeater powered so never saw anything other than the blue repeater icon once I was going. Before that it was grey with a little percentage thing next to it. When I upgraded to V2.0 firmware/assistant I of course set the flight limits high (5km or whatever). Don't want any limits.

Have not tried V3 firmware yet but 1.0.39 is a keeper for me.

gbshovel said:
My FPV works like **** since the update. Was always smooth before now it freezes and is choppy at its best.

WTH :evil:

Mine too, I just sent in a support ticket to DJI.

First - greetings everybody! I'm new to flying and new to the forum.

I just wanted to chime in and report that I am having the same problem with FPV freezing since the update. I just started flying last week and it was somewhat choppy then occasionally, but this morning it was completely unusable. I think I may not have had a good charge on the extender but still. . .

I do not have any mods and only have Phantom 2 Vision standard features that come with the package from Amazon. Can anyone clue me in as to what sort of ranges I should be able to expect out of the box?

Thanks! Definitely sounds like (re: reads like) I found the right place.

Christian

chrstnmchl said:
First - greetings everybody! I'm new to flying and new to the forum.

I just wanted to chime in and report that I am having the same problem with FPV freezing since the update. I just started flying last week and it was somewhat choppy then occasionally, but this morning it was completely unusable. I think I may not have had a good charge on the extender but still. . .

I do not have any mods and only have Phantom 2 Vision standard features that come with the package from Amazon. Can anyone clue me in as to what sort of ranges I should be able to expect out of the box?

Thanks! Definitely sounds like (re: reads like) I found the right place.

Christian

Christian had the same problem after 1.0.39 update. FPV was totally unusable. Changed back to 1.0.38 and everything is working fine now.

From reading forum complete stock PV2 range is really variable. I was getting around 900ft with FPV. Since have added new antenna to Tx and wifi extender for around 1600ft. Many pilots are achieving much better with mods.

I flew yesterday and noticed the small range extender icon that wasnt there last time I flew and my video feed was shite !!....kept freezing then lost it altogether and abandoned the flight completely as I had no camera !!

What the hell is going on !?

RCRookie said:
gpauk said:
Yep -- I do. PM me with your email and I'll email it when I get home...

Thanks Gpauk, All is well in the kingdom again, back to 1.0.38 app :D

How do you get the app back to v1.0.38 ??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj