DJI vision 2 pic blurry help!

Reaction score
Dear phantompilots,

Recently i bought a DJI phantom Vision 2. This quadcopter is seriously awesome.
But there seems to be a problem with the camera on ISO 100 the image is semi blurry and unsharp.
I'm currently running latest firmare on camera.
Is anyone having similair problems or does anyone knows how to fix this.

il add a raw pic to show the quality of it.
the specs of the pic are:
Non flying semi sunny day f/2.8 at 1/1900 sec on ISO 100

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... ad2420.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me!

Sincerely Chris

Impossible to tell much from this down-sized, over-compressed JPEG. At this resolution, most everything looks acceptably sharp. There seems to be some wind-caused motion blur on the flag and maybe some of the trees, that's about it.

Can you post a full-size JPEG image? Or better yet, the original DNG file? Also if this was a DNG/RAW file - keep in mind that RAW files are deliberately UN-sharpened, leaving that job up to the photographer to perform later in software.

Jimre can you give me your email adress then il mail it to you or is there a way to implement it in this post?
Thanks for the help.

Downloaded your original which looks pretty good except the upper edge may be out. Can you shoot/post another photo, this time flip the Vision upside down so we can see detail at the top of the frame instead of sky.

iDrone

chrisverst said:
Dear phantompilots,

Recently i bought a DJI phantom Vision 2. This quadcopter is seriously awesome.
But there seems to be a problem with the camera on ISO 100 the image is semi blurry and unsharp.
I'm currently running latest firmare on camera.
Is anyone having similair problems or does anyone knows how to fix this.

il add a raw pic to show the quality of it.
the specs of the pic are:
Non flying semi sunny day f/2.8 at 1/1900 sec on ISO 100

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac17 ... ad2420.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me!

Sincerely Chris

Hi but Im sorry to say, that it looks perfectly ok!

What I mean is, that this is what you can expect of this camera! Your photo (for what I can see) is not more blurry than all the others I have seen.
But as another one wrote, you have to see it in full resolution to be able to judge it.
I still think you should be happy with what you got. If you not are happy with that quality, Im afraid that you have bought the wrong one, sorry.

You'll have to download the original... The DL button is on the right. The problem I see is at 12 o'clock with the tall building and row houses on the horizon where they meet the sky. Overall image L-R & bottom look pretty good but need another sample w/o highlight clipping & washout. Same scene shot static upside down will tell us.

iDrone

chrisverst said:
Ok i uploaded a DNG of it to this site.
Check what you think.

http://www.filedropper.com/dji00049
The original DNG looks reasonably good to me. Like all RAW files, it's deliberately soft & flat - so it will need quite a bit of sharpening & contrast when you "develop" it.

The biggest issue is serious over-exposure in the upper half of the picture. Almost all of the sky completely blown-out & not recoverable - except for the top-right corner. Shooting into the sun like this is a challenge, even with pro-level DSLR gear. If I were shooting this with my DSLR, I'd use a graduated ND filter to hold back the sky exposure - and probably also shoot 3 to 5 bracketed exposures and later combine them in post, to capture such a huge dynamic range.

If anything, your lens might be slightly front-focused (eg, things in the distance may not be as sharp as they should). But it's hard to tell, since everything in the distance is so over-exposed & washed out.

X2. The exposure isn't helping things. But to me, it looks a tad bit soft overall. Shoot another test shot either on a nice cloudy day or on a sunny day and keep the sun BEHIND the camera. Point your camera down so that the horizon details are in the upper part of the frame.

For my test shots, I went up to about 200 feet and pointed down so I had ground details in most all areas of the image. Time consuming, but worth it.

Ok il upload a flying on decent hieght picture.
So what would you guys do after seeing this DNG? send the camera back for repair?
Cause i really think this camera can do more then this.

http://www.filedropper.com/dji00044

Can anyone of you give me a reference picture to compare unedited and edited?

I have the impression that it becomes less sharp towards the left side of the picture. look at the lower left corner, the short cutted hedgerow shows less structure than in the center. The same for the gray tiles, you don't see the row/column lines anymore.
Of course, lightning plays a role....
As suggested, make some more shots and compare. Also, check your video shootage.

I have the same issue (only stills, not video), towards the left side it gets blurry, especially in the lower left corner. I personally find it disturbing as I know it, but most people don't notice it as of the fish-eye effect (i guess) you tends to focus to the center of the picture.
I asked the dealer to replace the camera and he suggested to swap it with the camera of their demo model. However, after seeing some pictures from that camera I noticed it had the same issue but this time to the right side.
So be aware that after a swap you might end up with the same issue...

For the +500$/€ you pay more for the Vision edition, I think DJI should could have done a better job as far as the camera optics are concerned.

chrisverst said:
Ok il upload a flying on decent hieght picture.
So what would you guys do after seeing this DNG? send the camera back for repair?
Cause i really think this camera can do more then this.

http://www.filedropper.com/dji00044

Can anyone of you give me a reference picture to compare unedited and edited?

Your latest picture looks better than mine, even down the corners....

Hi

A lot of you guys are expecting way to much from this Camera!

This a $150 camera (I'm guessing here) and if you know a little about photography you will know that even lenses to $2000 are having problems in the corners and on the edges when we are talking extreme wide angle lenses like here. They are of course better than the Vision camera but even on the most expensive you can often see a fall in the sharpness towards the edges.

Next thing, again if you know just a little about Photography you will also know that the most important part after the lens is to hold the camera still and steady and that is not exactly what we are doing here. No we are talking our little $150 dollar camera and hanging underneath a moving object, yeah not only moving but also vibrating and you still expect sharp photos????
Another thing is the crap quality of the camera itself (not the lens) even with photos taken in Raw at 100 ISO there are so much noise which take away the sharpness, just take a look at the photos uploaded in this thread and view them in 100%, Im sure you will be disapointed.
Just to mention a third thing :( This camera only have one aperture, all photos are talking on f2.8 which is the worst for landscape photography (even with a Wide angle lens).

The funny thing for myself is, I know all this thing also before I bought my PV2 so I should not have bought it, but I was kind of blinded by all that new technology so I just had to have one :cry: But It is a very good starting point for learning and to see if all this is for you before you make the next step towards something better.
Hope it all makes sense.

Ok so if i can make a conclusion my camera is fine and i shoudn't expect more from it.

But if i want to go more professional, like using a DSLR what kind of copter would you guys recommend?
I was looking at the dji s800 or s1000 but they seem to be very expensive for what you get.

chrisverst said:
Ok so if i can make a conclusion my camera is fine and i shoudn't expect more from it.

But if i want to go more professional, like using a DSLR what kind of copter would you guys recommend?
I was looking at the dji s800 or s1000 but they seem to be very expensive for what you get.

You don't have to go for a DSLR (in my opinion) then you will need quite a big copter like the 2 you already have mentioned.
There are some quite good mirror less small cameras out there. Sony's Nex5 serie are very popular and you can still change the lens on them.
I have just taken the step-up myself (haven't got it yet, hopefully next week) and you can see here what I bought:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8139

chrisverst said:
You can expect a bit more, if you're willing to invest the time to process your DNG files - at a minimum, to add back in the sharpening & contrast adjustments that are deliberately omitted with DNG/RAW files.

But yes, it's still a very basic camera with a tiny sensor, fixed-focus lens, and fixed aperture. It can produce quite acceptable results in good light but it's never going to be close to DSLR quality.

Klaus said:
chrisverst said:

You don't have to go for a DSLR (in my opinion) then you will need quite a big copter like the 2 you already have mentioned.
There are some quite good mirror less small cameras out there. Sony's Nex5 serie are very popular and you can still change the lens on them.
I have just taken the step-up myself (haven't got it yet, hopefully next week) and you can see here what I bought:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8139

I would be willing to spend some more money for a phantom alike drone with a better camera, and I expect/hope that something will hit the market soon. Spending 10k for an S800 equipped DSLR drone is way too expensive for most people, and as you said, you don't need a DSLR. Put together a next generation phantom vision with a gimbal and a decent small camera, price it at 1k (or perhaps 2K in case of a hexacopter) more. I would definitely be interested......

The solution I went for cost me 2,000 euros, including the camera, which is twice what I paid for the P2V.

The 2,000 euros bought me:
1 x Phantom 2
1 x Sony RX100 camera
1 x platform and FPV kit for the above camera from Dronexpert.nl
1 x DJI iOSD-mini
2 x spare batteries

The RX100 platform arrived at the dealers from Holland yesterday and I was told today that the setup will be tested by them tomorrow, so I'm still awaiting delivery here. However, having shot identical scenes with the Sony RX100 and a Nikon D300 since the former arrived, I'm amazed at the image quality the Sony provides; except for extreme pixel peeping, the RX100 images are indistinguishable from the D300's. Therefore I'm pretty sure that this rig is going to give me excellent quality A3 prints - i.e. very, very close to what I'd get by spending three to four times as much (oh, and excellent video too).

I've yet to prove it as I don't have the kit here to send up and shoot but, after exhaustive research, I'm certain that this is going to be the most cost effective way to get decent images for commercial use.

So fingers crossed!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj