DJI updates for Activating Software and Firmware Updates

Reaction score
I just received this in my email. Anyone know the details on having to Re-Activate your DJI drone? Sounds like your DJI Phantom will have to be updated before they activate it? I hope not.

Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team

I just received this in my email. Anyone know the details on having to Re-Activate your DJI drone? Sounds like your DJI Phantom will have to be updated before they activate it? I hope not.

Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Sincerely,

Your DJI Team
All threads that have been opened on this topic in the last couple of days have been locked and people are directed here:

Confusing dji article

I received the same email this morning. Seems like we don't really have a choice in the matter.

I received the same email this morning. Seems like we don't really have a choice in the matter.
Sure you do. Just don't ever update your drone's firmware or apps.

Reactions: Falcon900
It is not an update, it "updates nothing".
It is a contract offer to enter a binding contract with DJI or they will stop your product from doing what they told you it could do when they sold you it.
It is also a step on to one huge big slippery slope.

I bet Autel Xstar think all their Christmases habe arrived at once.

It is not an update, it "updates nothing".
It is a contract offer to enter a binding contract with DJI or they will stop your product from doing what they told you it could do when they sold you it.
It is also a step on to one huge big slippery slope.

I bet Autel Xstar think all their Christmases habe arrived at once.
I think that most of us already suspect that now the P3S is the only drone marketed by DJI from the P3 line, we're not going to get much update-attention from them anyway. Of course, they, as a forward looking company, are moving on to other things...

However, I thank them for having sold me my drone at a (to me) affordable price and for all the things that I can do with it. It was great when I bought it, I've had hours of enjoyment flying it - and it's still great now!! (IMHO).

At the moment my plan is too lock out all possible updates to software and firmware and even if I make a mistake, I know I can still rollback pretty easily, on software at least...

So thank you DJI!

(However, should you ever FORCE me to update to something that I don't want (although I realise you had to do that once on software, for safety's sake) then that's when the cussing will truly begin.... :) )

I did the "sign in" with DJI go's app ver 3.13 and went back to Litchi and the drone flew again.. It wouldn't connect the controller to the drone before the sign in. "If" the sign in is a contract with DJI, it's a coersed one.

I did the "sign in" with DJI go's app ver 3.13 and went back to Litchi and the drone flew again.. It wouldn't connect the controller to the drone before the sign in. "If" the sign in is a contract with DJI, it's a coersed one.
What I am fearing lies ahead is that Litchi will also not work in the future if you upgrade the DJI software but don't re-register with DJI.

Previously, I believe that at the first use of Litchi after purchase, you had to connect with the DJI servers to 'authenticate' the program.

It's very difficult to sign any contract when the clauses, either now or in the future, seem totally unknown. If I can, I'm going to sit on the fence on this one for now... :dizzy:

It has been almost 1 month now since I first received this email from DJI. Besides lots of posts on this topic I have not heard anything else about this new process from DJI. My Dji-Go app (which I hardly, if ever, use) on my android is still at 3.1.5 and so far have not noticed any need to re-sign in. Anyone with a P3S noticed any changes in updates??

It has been almost 1 month now since I first received this email from DJI. Besides lots of posts on this topic I have not heard anything else about this new process from DJI. My Dji-Go app (which I hardly, if ever, use) on my android is still at 3.1.5 and so far have not noticed any need to re-sign in. Anyone with a P3S noticed any changes in updates??
No news is good news ;)

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I have a P3S and not been asked yet to sign in on my iPhone or iPad Mini 2.

Last weekend after my IPad updated I flew a two mile Litchi mission . I have not updated the firmware yet.

While I can see why the DJI announcement is confusing, there is one part of the announcement that is key:

"you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App"

So, you have a choice.
1. If you update to the latest version of the DJI GO app you WILL have to login again and be the recipient of the DJI changes.
2. Don't update DJI GO app and DJI will not "require" you to do anything. Your quad will continue to work as before.

Of course, make sure you don't have the GO app set for automatic updates. Else you may find you do have no choice!

"you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App"

Yes but the message also implied that the update(s) where being implemented "next week" after the announcement was made. That was almost a month ago. Havent seen a GO (android) update since April 1st, 2017

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan