DJI Update - Phantom dropped from the sky at 400ft w/video. Options for sending in?

So what happened? Prop flew off? That's awesome that it's covered.

Not sure. They didn't say. But I'm guessing so. In their itemized list, it looks like they list only one motor. And it's a Counter Clockwise one. Is that what the front left one is from the POV of the camera?

So I sent the drone back to DJI, and am now confused if they are charging me or not charging me. Here's the email I got:

Dear Customer,

Your product sent back qualifies for repair under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to five business days.

Invoice

Customer: Dustin_W
Case No: XXXXX

So it says it's under warranty. Has a list of parts and the total costs. And then says to include the Case No. with my Payment info. So I'm really hoping that that last bit it tacked on automaticly to all emails, and the the list of parts and price is too. There isn't anything in the email that tells me how I should pay.

So please tell me that this is normal for complete warranty Coverage, and that I don't need to do anything. :)

Yay! I'll betcha there was information in the flight logs that led them to a hardware / firmware defect as the likely cause.

Now is the time to buy DJI Care on this drone if you want it... while they still have your drone. You can apply for purchase and where the blank is provided to enter the URL for the extensive video they normally require existing owners to provide to prove their drone is working, just enter: "You have this drone - Case No xxxx - no video needed." That worked for me!

Yay! I'll betcha there was information in the flight logs that led them to a hardware / firmware defect as the likely cause.

Now is the time to buy DJI Care on this drone if you want it... while they still have your drone. You can apply for purchase and where the blank is provided to enter the URL for the extensive video they normally require existing owners to provide to prove their drone is working, just enter: "You have this drone - Case No xxxx - no video needed." That worked for me!

I started the process and will need to enter the SN for the drone and the gimbal. What if they swap those out with different SN's? If all I need to do is submit a video of it working properly once I get it back, I can do that.

I started the process and will need to enter the SN for the drone and the gimbal. What if they swap those out with different SN's? If all I need to do is submit a video of it working properly once I get it back, I can do that.

I'd suggest you read up on what the video must contain. I thought it was a lot... shots of the aircraft doing several things, shots of the DJI Go app during some actions... and the biggest one... no edits allowed - all items (and there are many) must be completed in real time during one "roll" of the camera with no stops, breaks, or pauses. As for the serial number issue - I'd just add that the gimbal is being replaced and they'll need to get it from service. The worst they can do is say "no" - and you'll still be able to go through the video process if you have to. If they say yes, you've saved yourself what I think would be a lot of effort (for more than 1 person) to make the required video. Either way, I'm sure glad you got warranty replacement! Congrats!

How was it determined that the prop flew off? It looks to me like a bird hit it.

A bird strike would cause a sudden jolt (as appears in the video), whereas a prop fly-off would probably be less of an initial jolt--there wouldn't be a sudden impact--it would just fall out of the sky from not having any grip on the air.

Not an expert, just going on what I see in the video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj