DJI tries to bill me for repair on a drone that is still on the river bottom..

Reaction score
Ok... just a quick spout off about how incompetent DJI customer service is..

Last month, lost P4 in the river.... sank... from "MY" position and from what I know at the moment of loss it was a loss of power in flight and fell.

Submitted that info and flight record for the last flight to DJI for analysis... Their response was NOT what I was hoping for but to tell you the truth I was expecting JUST that answer....

Yesterday afternoon I get home from work and find an email from DJI in my inbox, now I was not expecting to hear anymore from them so I was obviously intrigued...

This is the email....

On Feb 17, 2017, at 6:46 PM, DJI Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Customer,

DJI kindly remind you that you still have a repair invoice for your Phantom 4 with an amount of 934.15. Your case No. is:

CAS-424620-K1G8C0

Please use the link below to submit your payment.

https://repair.dji.com/payment/p ... 3-9455-aedd14def5fc

This is an automated message. Any replies to this message will not be monitored.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI North America Technical Support, Mon-Fri 9:00AM ~ 5:00PM (PST) via the following three channels:

Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: [email protected]
Online Support: Online Support

Thank you for choosing DJI

Best Regards,
DJI Support

=====================================

You can bet I called the California help desk and actually got thru in under 5 minutes.... after explaining how they could not have possibly repaired my P4, unless maybe they sent a scuba search team to West Virginia and recover my P4 from the river, transport it to wherever and fix it!, The young gal put me on hold for about 15 minutes while she tried to figure out THIS little problem...

Answer???? She could not come up with one.... once again I heard that catch phrase "I will Follow Up". She also went on to say, "Just Disregard that email invoice"

OH YOU BET I WILL!!!!!

This morning I woke up to a DJI email that wanted me to complete a survey on their support (or actually after I got done with the survey it was LACK of support)

I doubt very seriously that THEY take any feedback on their customer service seriously so all I did was make "ME" feel better once I was done.

I've about had it with DJI.... I do believe that I will be selling the controller, 2 batteries (should have 12 or less charges on them), props, DJI Lanyard, iPad sun shield, home charger as well as the car charger (all DJI branded)

Somebody make me a reasonable offer for the whole package... Oh and the foam case is also part of it.

OM in WVA Yeah, I completely understand your displeasure with DJI! They too sent me a survey which I filled out and then in the comment section, I type in about 1500 words explaining what happened and that I was still waiting on the analysis of the data onboard to determine that the crash was a Phantom 4 problem and not pilot error!!!!! I have emailed, called, emailed again, phoned again then yesterday I stayed on hold 93 minutes on a total of 3 phone calls, each time getting connected to the "supervisor in the USA" only to get disconnected just as this "supervisor" was about to connect! Before then, I had spoken to a Marquez who promised he would access the data logs and get back in touch with me without fail yesterday! Of course he did not. I then followed up with another email only this time with his name hoping it would get through and of course the weekend happened and I doube anyone is around there on the weekend so I am hoping (yeah right) for a response Monday.

From what I read, they charged you over $900 for repair? You could have bought a new drone only for that much! I hope you have a satisfactory outcome on your dispute with them and post it here. I wish I could afford to put more money into the hobby and I'd make you an offer on your surplus items. Keep on trying, someone out there will take you up on it. Again, good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

sorry I'm really struggling to see a major problem here or 'incompetence' . They sent you an incorrect or misdirected invoice, ok that obviously needs to be fixed and was accidental, but in the order of things in the world, is this worth getting worked up about? Think most people have sent an email incorrectly or to the wrong person at some stage in their lives.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Last edited:
Reactions: kirk2579 and Alba52
Issue is, if anything deviates in the slightest with the repair process, DJI customer service can't handle it and you get the runaround trying to resolve it and taking hours to get a hold of anyone.
Case in point. I had my P3A repaired. I sent them my broken props expecting them to include replacements in the repair invoice. It wasn't included. I called and went on chat waiting for at least an hour, probably spent an additional 1/2 hour on chat explaining I'd like to have the repair include the props. This to avoid a $10 shipping charge if I bought the props in their store. OK we'll do that. Will I get an amended invoice? Yes.
24 hours later, no updated invoice. Next day I bring it up in the forum. Moderator says they'll escalate. I've already waited two weeks due to shipping and repair process, don't want to tie up the process much longer so I pay the bill.
I get an email the next day that props will be included.
What was included was my damaged props.
Also I sent my lens cover/gimbal lock to protect the camera during shipping. Didn't get that back.
To their credit though, they quoted a repair of the gimbal but clearly I got a new or refurb as there was not a scratch on the camera body and the one I sent was badly scratched. Cost of repair was much less than what it should have been for what they did. That seems to be the exception these days though.

The invoice they sent you was probably for a replacement even if they stated 'repair'. But then we're not seeing the itemized invoice.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

sorry I'm really struggling to see a major problem here or 'incompetence' . They sent you an incorrect or misdirected invoice, ok that obviously needs to be fixed and was accidental, but in the order of things in the world, is this worth getting worked up about? Think most people have sent an email incorrectly or to the wrong person at some stage in their lives.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

I guess I should have started my email with a timeline that started back in November last year when I went about trying to purchase a P4 directly from DJI.... web site every day stating that the units were available to ship in one to 2 days after payment authorization.... so I placed an order.... 2 days after payment cleared I checked the status, shipping time still shows 2 days after payment cleared. expecting to see an email stating unit was shipped but never did... after several useless chats, all ending with "I will Follow Up And Get Back To You" which would not happen, 3 weeks later I decided to cancel my order and buy direct from a local store (Cabelas).

THAT started my perception of DJI customer service... and then after trying to find out why my P4 lost power and went into a river it just continued, the same level of INCOMPETENCE in dealing with a CUSTOMER who just spent a ton of money on THEIR product.

I own a business, I grew up in this SERVICE business from an early age, my father started it in 1964 and I was there when he opened the doors, I watched him build the business by dealing properly and fairly with the CUSTOMER.... No the customer is not ALWAYS right but even when they may not be they are treated like a customer to keep them coming back..
You DEAL with an issue right then, you don't tell them you will do something and then NOT do it. THAT will kill a business.

I see folks defend DJI stating that the complaints are VERY few compared to how many happy customers there are out there... REALLY... They have NO clue what their sales are, and how many complaints actually go thru to DJI... They ONLY see whats on this forum.. Less than 10% of people will push an issue to the point that I and several have on this and other forums. WE as consumers TRYING to get a product fixed are the minority... Most people don't know about these forums, don't participate and could care less what's in them. They have an issue, they call or email, MIGHT get services properly but if they don't in a quick manner they write it off as a loss and move on, These forums NEVER hear about those folks.

DJI has an issue with customer service, no doubt about it.

Reactions: The Ghost
Ok. But DJI is not on here, just pilots / users like you, so still wondering where this is going? What would you like your post to achieve? Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Ok. But DJI is not on here, just pilots / users like you, so still wondering where this is going? What would you like your post to achieve? Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
He's just venting AND I would also bet DJI monitors these sites. Just maybe the right individual will be looking!

AND these type of issues with dji CS and the fact they totally ditched on the P3 line just after XMas, is the reason I went to Autal.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

and the fact they totally ditched on the P3 line just after XMas, is the reason I went to Autal.

I am totally disappointed they did that. And it was my dad that bought me the P3A for Christmas which I considered extremely generous so I feel bad for him too.
Just as I felt bad seriously damaging it day after Christmas in a stupid mistake crash.

Reactions: jerryd
Ouch. Sorry. And no more software down loads. And no more parts.
Are being produced.

Well they probably will support it for a while, hopefully at least a year. App development probably will stop except maybe for geo updates and critical bug fixes.

Dealing with dji customer service for several weeks just for a refund on an item. They are absolutely horrible with customer service. Phone email whichever. Been getting the run around forever. I've dealt with many CS agents before and I can assure you dji doesn't give a ****. Once their monopoly on making kick *** products goes away, maybe they'll step their game up. I would expect the same garbage CS from them for the foreseeable future. Fill out a complaint with the BBB and affect their score

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Paul2660
Well they probably will support it for a while, hopefully at least a year. App development probably will stop except maybe for geo updates and critical bug fixes.
Just like virtually every other company, you can't support old versions of products indefinitely. Lots of people are still using old computers, phones, etc. with zero support and eventually they get replaced.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
I get the feeling you are clueless! DJI service and customer contact sucks. And it is not a once in awhile thing!

Sent from my P01MA using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just like virtually every other company, you can't support old versions of products indefinitely. Lots of people are still using old computers, phones, etc. with zero support and eventually they get replaced.
No, I don't expect forever, but P3 was (and still is) plenty popular and being sold right up to and past new year's. It would suck if all of a sudden DJI decides not to support them including bug fixes.

I get the feeling you are clueless! DJI service and customer contact sucks. And it is not a once in awhile thing!

Sent from my P01MA using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for that constructive feedback, really think personal insult is the way to go? only your view is ok right?

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Ok... just a quick spout off about how incompetent DJI customer service is..

Last month, lost P4 in the river.... sank... from "MY" position and from what I know at the moment of loss it was a loss of power in flight and fell.

Submitted that info and flight record for the last flight to DJI for analysis... Their response was NOT what I was hoping for but to tell you the truth I was expecting JUST that answer....

Yesterday afternoon I get home from work and find an email from DJI in my inbox, now I was not expecting to hear anymore from them so I was obviously intrigued...

This is the email....

On Feb 17, 2017, at 6:46 PM, DJI Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Customer,

DJI kindly remind you that you still have a repair invoice for your Phantom 4 with an amount of 934.15. Your case No. is:

CAS-424620-K1G8C0

Please use the link below to submit your payment.

https://repair.dji.com/payment/p ... 3-9455-aedd14def5fc

This is an automated message. Any replies to this message will not be monitored.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI North America Technical Support, Mon-Fri 9:00AM ~ 5:00PM (PST) via the following three channels:

Tel: +1 (818) 235 0789
Email: [email protected]
Online Support: Online Support

Thank you for choosing DJI

Best Regards,
DJI Support

=====================================

You can bet I called the California help desk and actually got thru in under 5 minutes.... after explaining how they could not have possibly repaired my P4, unless maybe they sent a scuba search team to West Virginia and recover my P4 from the river, transport it to wherever and fix it!, The young gal put me on hold for about 15 minutes while she tried to figure out THIS little problem...

Answer???? She could not come up with one.... once again I heard that catch phrase "I will Follow Up". She also went on to say, "Just Disregard that email invoice"

OH YOU BET I WILL!!!!!

This morning I woke up to a DJI email that wanted me to complete a survey on their support (or actually after I got done with the survey it was LACK of support)

I doubt very seriously that THEY take any feedback on their customer service seriously so all I did was make "ME" feel better once I was done.

I've about had it with DJI.... I do believe that I will be selling the controller, 2 batteries (should have 12 or less charges on them), props, DJI Lanyard, iPad sun shield, home charger as well as the car charger (all DJI branded)

Somebody make me a reasonable offer for the whole package... Oh and the foam case is also part of it.

when was DJI bought out by Humana?

I know there are some DJI FanBoi's out there but it's totally legit to let fellow DJI pilots know about bad DJI service. Not that bad DJI service is actually news. But invoicing for a drowned bird takes incompetence to a new level. Thanks for the report and very sorry to hear about your loss. The only reason DJI is still in business is because they make an amazing product. They have single highhandedly created an industry. Too bad they haven't mastered even rudimentary customer service.

I guess I should have started my email with a timeline that started back in November last year when I went about trying to purchase a P4 directly from DJI.... web site every day stating that the units were available to ship in one to 2 days after payment authorization.... so I placed an order.... 2 days after payment cleared I checked the status, shipping time still shows 2 days after payment cleared. expecting to see an email stating unit was shipped but never did... after several useless chats, all ending with "I will Follow Up And Get Back To You" which would not happen, 3 weeks later I decided to cancel my order and buy direct from a local store (Cabelas).

THAT started my perception of DJI customer service... and then after trying to find out why my P4 lost power and went into a river it just continued, the same level of INCOMPETENCE in dealing with a CUSTOMER who just spent a ton of money on THEIR product.

I own a business, I grew up in this SERVICE business from an early age, my father started it in 1964 and I was there when he opened the doors, I watched him build the business by dealing properly and fairly with the CUSTOMER.... No the customer is not ALWAYS right but even when they may not be they are treated like a customer to keep them coming back..
You DEAL with an issue right then, you don't tell them you will do something and then NOT do it. THAT will kill a business.

I see folks defend DJI stating that the complaints are VERY few compared to how many happy customers there are out there... REALLY... They have NO clue what their sales are, and how many complaints actually go thru to DJI... They ONLY see whats on this forum.. Less than 10% of people will push an issue to the point that I and several have on this and other forums. WE as consumers TRYING to get a product fixed are the minority... Most people don't know about these forums, don't participate and could care less what's in them. They have an issue, they call or email, MIGHT get services properly but if they don't in a quick manner they write it off as a loss and move on, These forums NEVER hear about those folks.

DJI has an issue with customer service, no doubt about it.

I don't know why it is, but I really despise DJI, but I keep buying their products??

This IS NOT and isolated incident, DJI, Yuneec and Many other companies in this country have this problem. TOO MANY Uneducated, Dis-Interested people working for companies in America and Overseas. Employees who could care less about your problems and have to get back to Texting on their cell phones or CHIT CHATTING on Facebook on company time! This is the World we live in.

Good companies will have a Great Customer Service program and will usually jump through the HOOPS to help you and fix the problem. Just recently (this week) I had a small broken part in my 5th wheel trailer. Called the manufacturer of the company and they said not a problem and would have the part sent out right away. It arrived in my mailbox the next day! Now, that is good customer service!

DJI is just one of those companies, based in CHINA that has one thing in mind, MAKE MONEY! Their Customer Service people don't have the authority to fix problems, only to pass them on to a higher authority, which doesn't happen.

This is a case that hopefully DJI will fix and you won't hear anymore from them. SO SAD a company has to be this way.

From what I have seen from DJI customer service, it only exists as long as DJI profits from it. My theory in their "repair" service is that they don't repair your drone. If you send it in and YOU have proof it is a warranty issue, then they might repair or replace it with a refurbished drone and you might pay for one way shipping but that's all. If you send it in and it is admitted that it is your fault, or DJI claims it is pilot error then again they "repair or replace" depending upon how compelling a claim you make. Then the dispute escalates until one party breaks and pays. The other party wins. Now exactly where does DJI get these "refurbished " drone's? Think about it awhile before reading further--------

Ok so where does this supply of drone's that has been refurbished come from? Then consider what happened to me! My drone was sent in for gimbal repair and top shell replacement. I was given a web site so I could watch repair work progress. I was even gives a DETAILED list of parts needed plus two hours repair time, which I immediately paid in hopes of getting my drone back sooner. I closely watched the repair steps down to flight testing and certification all still showing MY SERIAL NUMBER! I was especially happy since my drone was repaired and shipped back to me in less than a week!!! YES, that fast! Be aware that this was my drone as verified by the serial number. This drone was FLOWN AND TESTED as per written information that was sent to me. However, a different serial number appeared on the paperwork of drone being shipped! I immediately phoned DJI and got no where. I emailed "April" who verified I had a new drone being shipped back because my drone "was not repairable"! This is after it was flown and analyzed. Bear in mind, all the drone needed was to fix the gimbal partially binding AND replace the top half of the shell!!!! It flew and performed perfectly!! Plus the invoice I paid listed ONLY the items needed to repair those items!!! Wonder why a new drone was shipped to me?? Hmmm, I wonder, was it to so please me that I would take it, shut up, and just go away?? Well, that might have worked except DJI refused to tell me why the drone flipped over and crashed and therefore made it "pilot error" and the $239.00 I had already paid un-refundable!

So the question still remains for those still reading. Where do the new and refurbished drone's come from? Is the new one just one that they ripped open a box and took the drone out, leaving the controller and battery and propellers and charger? I don't think so! And is the refurbished one just a spare they just happened to have because they actually repaired one??? I think not! So is it like this: DJI gets my drone in for minor repair. They see it will cost maybe $50 to repair and take an hour tops. They bill me for a total of $239.00 which I pay, then they call up a similar drone some customers ago and ship me theirs, having hopefully repaired it. I get it back and it looks and flies OK so I shut up and go away. Then later as needed they take a few minutes, fix mine and put it in the warehouse to wait on the next gullible DJI customer just hoping his drone is repairable and he can afford it. Not correct? Then substitute your information for mine and see if it fits, then read some others similar to yours and see if they compare! I bet they do!

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Mavikhan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers