DJI..too unreliable to risk the $$$

Lost my P1 in the creek while following a boat. Most definitely pilot error. Was flying just above the dead air area behind a large object moving 25 mph. Decided that it would be a cool idea to get a low angle shot. Loss of relative wind = loss of lift = sudden decent = bye bye $1800 worth of heli, gimbal, camera, fpv gear, osd, flytrex, etc. Strong current, murky water. We used a net, submerged camera, and fish finder, but she was long gone.

Drank a beer and toasted my beloved P1, now contemporary crab housing. Was on B&H that night ordering up a P2, gimbal, etc.

Oh, the madness!

A guy a few blocks away from me who has been in to rc planes and hellos was sort of thinking for a while about picking up a phantom but was on the fence and not sure if he wanted to drop that kind of money or not. Till the day he was out side and watched on of my fc40s trying to return to home and right over his house it started to try and do a low battery auto land and the battery gave out way before it touched down and he watched it fall from about 400 feet up and bounce off the roof of his house. and land in his yard. and the only damage it had was to the camera holder and some scratched props. He was actually quite impressed by just how tuff that little bugger was and its what made him decide HELL YA IM GETTING ONE. He told me about all the times when even in a much lighter crash with most other rc plane or helicopter hes ever owned its usually a complete lose and a million pcs of broken bits and pcs scattered everywhere. and some times if lucky some of the radio equipment and motors are salvageable. But said he never seen any crash like That one were it just make it out with some dings and such minor damage.

Lost my P1 in the creek while following a boat. Most definitely pilot error. Was flying just above the dead air area behind a large object moving 25 mph. Decided that it would be a cool idea to get a low angle shot. Loss of relative wind = loss of lift = sudden decent = bye bye $1800 worth of heli, gimbal, camera, fpv gear, osd, flytrex, etc. Strong current, murky water. We used a net, submerged camera, and fish finder, but she was long gone.

Drank a beer and toasted my beloved P1, now contemporary crab housing. Was on B&H that night ordering up a P2, gimbal, etc.

Oh, the madness!
This is awful. What did your wife say you lost $1800 at a roulette wheel than you spend it again? What about your family's bills

Has anyone in here not lost a DJI Phamtom or crashed?

I was wondering the same thing. Motorcycle forums make it sound like you are absolutely guaranteed to crash many times on a motorcycle, but in reality there are lots of people with tens of thousands of miles under their belt and no (major) crashes. Stats are difficult to see on a forum board.

I was wondering the same thing. Motorcycle forums make it sound like you are absolutely guaranteed to crash many times on a motorcycle, but in reality there are lots of people with tens of thousands of miles under their belt and no (major) crashes. Stats are difficult to see on a forum board.
I had a crotch rocket for years. Never put it down either.

Reactions: N017RW
+1

This is awful. What did your wife say you lost $1800 at a roulette wheel than you spend it again? What about your family's bills

lol Me and my old lady have a thing were I dont really ask her exactly how much she really spends on shoes or when she gets her hair done and she dont really ask me how much my toys really cost. Tho we dont spend house or bill money on stuff like that. I also poured some sugar on her last week when I was waiting to get a p3 and I took her out and let her fly my FC40 So now I got a lot less of the raised eye brow when I told he I was going to get a p3. She also knows I get her nice girly things from time to time.. Like when her and a few of her teacher friends at work wanted to learn how to shoot and know how to defend them selves right after sandy hoax. I got her. Her very own AR15 Which got me a lot a lot of brownie points.
You just got to know how to put the suger on top every once in while.

$hit happens. Move or try to control anything at a faster speed than walking there is risk!

Can't tell ya how much in dollars and down care how much I thrown at or in electric rc cars, gas rc gars, worse yet cars that I have plopped down at the merchants counter for the enjoyment of control of my own free will. AND I LOVE IT ALL!!!!

that's why they call it a "hobby" Cheers !

Reactions: mohan and bbfpv

If I was at an income level that forced me to choose between feeding babies or buying another Phantom, the babies would eat for sure. Not saying that it didn't hurt emotionally, but fortunately crashes have been few and far between on the camera ships. So, I sucked it up, learned from my mistake, and began thinking of it more as a forced upgrade :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers