DJI to limit flights over DC and US Boarders

I think this is a good and also pointless excercise.
Its good because it would stop idiots like the CIA pretending people crashed into trees in gardens. And it will stop idiots that dont know what they are doing flying around airports, which is a BIG concern, the local airport was shut for an hour last week due to a total bellend with a "drone". I cant beleive people are stupid enough to fly near airports. Its good because it gives some impression of responsibility for the hobby.

its pointless because 1) im not sure they could fit all no fly zones worldwide on the memory they have available.
2) anyone who wants to smuggle or do illegal stuff in a no fly zone can just shove a naze32 or an APM etc into a cuad and do what the like, hell they can even stick on in a phantom and make it look like the NFZ restrictions dont work.

I think its a nice idea, but just a publicity stunt from DJI to try and stop the phantom being banned, which is what will happen if idiots keep flying it recklessly

m00se said:
I think its a nice idea, but just a publicity stunt from DJI to try and stop the phantom being banned, which is what will happen if idiots keep flying it recklessly

The flight restrictions in the Phantom are a corporate decision as DJI is the proverbial "deep pocket". They want to have a defense if someone uses a Phantom to cause a major incident. It makes a casual out-of-the-box inadvertent flight into an airport or prohibited area impossible. The operator has to make the decision (and assume the liability) to override the restrictions.

TeamYankee said:
Pull_Up said:
Just to add my understanding is that all no fly zones in DJI firmware work in ANY flight mode whilst GPS signals are being received... Even manual.

Silver foil over the top fixes that one....
... assuming DJI don't implement a "no sat lock, no motor arm" policy in the firmware for all flight modes to prevent disconnecting or shielding the GPS...

TeamYankee said:
Pull_Up said:
Just to add my understanding is that all no fly zones in DJI firmware work in ANY flight mode whilst GPS signals are being received... Even manual.

Silver foil over the top fixes that one....
... assuming DJI don't implement a "no sat lock, no motor arm" policy in the firmware for all flight modes to prevent disconnecting or shielding the GPS...

If the FAA follows what CASA has done downunder there will be an awful lot of unhappy flyers here in the US and maybe else where. Whether they fly a DJI or some other product if you continue to fly over the height limits and LOS you will end up paying the price for your actions. But sadly so will we for your indiscretions.

Well, I happen to be grounded as a Vienna, VA resident.

I was very weary of flying in my own back yard because of the FAA restrictions in my area. Dulles (IAD) and Regan (DCA) are both nearby and the NFZ are pretty large. Most private airports are closed north of Stafford VA which is 30 miles south after 9/11.

I have chosen not to fly my Vision 2+ from here on the chance that I break some FAA rules - I'm no expert. In fact I leave imy phantom in rural MD where so I don't get tempted to fly here... Unfortunately, I haven't flown since October because of this.

Now my wings will be clipped. I would have liked to get some pics of my new house...

I am a Police Officer therefore I respect and enforce the law. I must say, I disagree with the mandatory update. 1 mistake should not ruin it for everyone. The federal government folks will do anything they can to continue to take our freedoms away. This is a perfect example. If you think it stops here, it doesnt. They will eventually have us download software that will have altitude restrictions and distance restritions. Some of these laws are unjust and it might be time to contact your congrassman. With the DC restriction that means a hobbiest cant even fly in their own back yard.

Frank Cataldi said:
With the DC restriction that means a hobbiest cant even fly in their own back yard.

Exactly right. Dumb situation, but it is the law. FAA gets pretty testy with full scale GA pilots who stumble into the airspace, so they are taking it very seriously.

Last night while discharging batteries using P2 assistant software an 3.10 update window appeared and you had a choice to either upload or exit and this morning that update is no longer available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31