DJI to limit flights over DC and US Boarders

I don't have a problem with someone saying 'screw you, I'll do what I want' if they're being safe. Swapping antennas, flying over 400 ft - these are not inherently dangerous things. This 15 mile radius is just ridiculous - mostly from the FAA, but also on DJI's part.

darkoth23 said:
Well that action does not solve much. It's still possible to fly without GPS in those areas.
My thoughts exactly. Isn't all of these limitations based on someone using GPS? So wouldn't switching to ATTI or Manual, defeat any restrictions based on the lack of GPS being used?

Morgon said:
I don't have a problem with someone saying 'screw you, I'll do what I want' if they're being safe. Swapping antennas, flying over 400 ft - these are not inherently dangerous things. This 15 mile radius is just ridiculous - mostly from the FAA, but also on DJI's part.

The issue is that many of the folks with the "screw you" attitude are anything but safe. Swapping antennas may not be inherently unsafe, but it is positively illegal in the US. See Part 15.203.

§ 15.203 Antenna requirement.

An intentional radiator shall be designed to ensure that no antenna other than that furnished by the responsible party shall be used with the device. The use of a permanently attached antenna or of an antenna that uses a unique coupling to the intentional radiator shall be considered sufficient to comply with the provisions of this section. The manufacturer may design the unit so that a broken antenna can be replaced by the user, but the use of a standard antenna jack or electrical connector is prohibited. This requirement does not apply to carrier current devices or to devices operated under the provisions of § 15.211, § 15.213, § 15.217, § 15.219, or § 15.221. Further, this requirement does not apply to intentional radiators that must be professionally installed, such as perimeter protection systems and some field disturbance sensors, or to other intentional radiators which, in accordance with § 15.31(d), must be measured at the installation site. However, the installer shall be responsible for ensuring that the proper antenna is employed so that the limits in this part are not exceeded.

Seems crystal clear, yet it is mostly ignored. Frankly I think DJI should include this with their products and make it clear that it is illegal in the US to alter the antenna on either the transmitter or Phantom itself.

I’m with SilentAV8R on this one.

Just yesterday I posted “Maybe DJI should include autonomous safety zones in the next software update. Seems like they could input the GPS coordinates of all U.S. restricted areas and instruct the Phantom to enter into a safety mode to prevent the flight or land automatically if it enters a no fly zone.” I must be psychic…now if I could just guess the lottery.

When it’s all said and done national security, airline safety, and privacy comes first, NOT recreational hobbies. :shock:

drifter said:
I’m with SilentAV8R on this one.

Just yesterday I posted “Maybe DJI should include autonomous safety zones in the next software update. Seems like they could input the GPS coordinates of all U.S. restricted areas and instruct the Phantom to enter into a safety mode to prevent the flight or land automatically if it enters a no fly zone.” I must be psychic…now if I could just guess the lottery.

When it’s all said and done national security, airline safety, and privacy comes first, NOT recreational hobbies. :shock:
Nobody's saying that restrictions are bad (well, a few are), it's just that 15 miles outside of DC is excessive. That swallows IntelligentUAS whole, for instance. It includes a lot of suburbs that also have open recreational areas. We need to be pushing back for reasonable restrictions.

So, with all of these TFRs in mind, does this mean now that we'll need to DL updates before EVERY flight? There are many TFRs that pop up when the POTUS or VOTUS visit different parts of the country. Then you have the 3nm TFRs for the VIPs (Secretary of State and such) and we can't forget the TFRs around sporting events like the superbowl, major college games, etc.

It won't take long until we are MORE restricted than flying an actual airplane!

Just want to say Thank you to the idiots who blow away any common sense and pick just the best times to break the rules and draw attention to us. Argh!

Wow.... and look what I just got from the FAA via email:

Unmanned Aircraft and NFL Football Don't Mix

January 28–Many familiar sounds are associated with the Super Bowl: Cheering fans. Referee whistles. The spectacular halftime show. Booming fireworks.

But one sound you shouldn’t hear is the whirring of an unmanned aircraft overhead. The Super Bowl is strictly a “No Drone Zone.”

The FAA bars unauthorized aircraft – including drones – from flying over or near NFL regular- and post-season football games. The same restriction applies to NCAA college games in stadiums seating 30,000 or more fans, Major League Baseball games and many NASCAR events.

The FAA Notice to Airmen makes it crystal clear that anyone violating the rules may be “intercepted, detained and interviewed” by law enforcement or security personnel. Besides possibly landing a violator in jail, flying an unmanned aircraft over a crowded stadium could result in an FAA civil penalty for “careless and reckless” operation of an aircraft.

Bottom line: If you want to see video of the Big Game, watch it on TV. Leave your drone at home.

Morgon said:
SilentAV8R said:
OK, so we have established that the FCC and FAA can be ignored. Wonderful. And we wonder why they want to ***** slap us.

I don't necessarily agree with his post. But to be fair....
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." -- Thomas Jefferson

I think you can understand that this increasing overreach is quickly going down that path.

OK. But the fCC rules have been in effect for a very long time and for good reasons. Simply because a number of new on the scene Phantom owners want to ignore the rule does not by itself make it an unjust law.

Morgon said:
IntelligentUAS whole, for instance. It includes a lot of suburbs that also have open recreational areas. We need to be pushing back for reasonable restrictions.

The DC restrictions went into effect almost immediately following 9/11. They apply to general aviation and most other man carrying aviation. I agree that including models seems too much, until you see what the dumb@$$ did on Monday. Yes, I know, he was ignorant of the law, but maybe now he, and many others, are not any longer.

The AMA has been battling to get models excluded from this and the other TFRs that apply to models. But as long as we hobbyists continue to provide the FAA and DHS with ample evidence that we cannot act responsibly I suspect they will likely keep those rules in place.

NickCopter said:
we don't have to update firmwave do we?

wouldn't it be possible for people just to not update and avoid this entire thing?

Sure. But that does not mean that they are OK to fly in the DC no fly zone area. DJI is trying to cover their @$$&$, but the question remains, why would anyone knowingly fly where it could bring huge negative attention on us??

Watching the regular news over irresponsible piloting and the resulting outcry, restrictions and laws is like watching a slow motion train wreck.

SilentAV8R said:
the question remains, why would anyone knowingly fly where it could bring huge negative attention on us??

On one hand, it's very easy to say this was intentional (which a good amount of people around the web seem to think). Some government staffer tasked with raising red flags to let the FAA tighten its grip.

On the other hand, the dude was under the influence, flying in the middle of the night, and turned himself in. I don't have a whole lot of faith in the average mental capacity of a government pleb, so my bet is on Option B.

Haven't heard of any consequences for the pilot, which really angers me. We need less blanket ban, and more personal consequences. If individuals get the book thrown at them, people will be pay more attention. It's too easy to flip the bird at the FAA itself with these broad rules (I know you said they've been there, but this is the first time most people have been introduced to them; many of the media didn't even report on that part, making it sound like it was something new)

Love my Phantom 1. Did DJI just totally give up trying to put the old ones on electronic leashes/muzzles?

Not that I'm complaining about my "freedom" or anything, just wondering. :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj