I have heard and seen video that shows how you can bypass the 500M limit but I have not had the opportunity nor conditions to test this yet. The only safe and legal way would be to fly up the side of a mountain, reach 500M and then attempt the bypass... A little research goes a long way.

I believe you are conflating two different things. The service ceiling is the maximum altitude at which the aircraft is designed to safely fly. A Phantom can lift off up to 6000m ASL. The 500m limit above point of launch is a separate issue.
True, but it's actually AGL (Above Ground Level)

ASL is chat slang for Age/Sex/Location. We all know where Dirty Bird is hanging. ;)

Could not let that one pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Adams
Really, the typhoon H is limited to 120m at present when and if it will go higher depends on the release of extra software.
Yes correct, the H is limited to 120m out of the box BUT it is already able to be reset out of the box. Just a change of settings. but he wasnt talking about the H. Not having a dig but clearing that point up.

The Phantom's designed operating range is up to 6000m ASL. This is not an AGL specification (try taking off from the peak of Mt. Everest - ;) )

True, but it's actually AGL (Above Ground Level)

ASL is chat slang for Age/Sex/Location. We all know where Dirty Bird is hanging. ;)

Could not let that one pass.

I have heard and seen video that shows how you can bypass the 500M limit but I have not had the opportunity nor conditions to test this yet. The only safe and legal way would be to fly up the side of a mountain, reach 500M and then attempt the bypass... A little research goes a long way.

i have p3p with old firmware which can fly over 500m altitude, and i plan to sell it for person who want to fly over that

dji Store is not telling the truth
Technical specification for phantom 4 is wrong by big number
It say clearly at dji shop:
Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level
19685 feet (6000 m) for Phantom 4
but should say 500 meter over take off ground. That can be 5500 meter wrong !!!

I am in Iceland with lots of high mountain over 1000 meter and I need to search for missing people or airplain.
We order some Phantom 4 and on first test day we where stop, Phantom 4 only go 500 meter from ground.
Well Truth is Phantom 4 max altitude is 500 meter over take off ground ,not 6000, .
In Europe are rules that ban wrong fact or go around right numbers.
How can DJI get so easy telling lie ?
is this legal in USA ?
Ari

i have p3p with old firmware which can fly over 500m altitude, and i plan to sell it for person who want to fly over that

The 500 meters is relative to launch.

The 6000 meters is relative to sea level.

Ex) So you can launch at sea level and fly up only 500 meters.

Ex2) You can launch from a mountain top with elevation 5900 meters but fly only 100 meters up.

The P4 is not a suitable aircraft for this scenario - it doesn't have the range, endurance or optical capabilities to be conducting search and rescue missions in the kind of terrain that you are discussing. We have tested and used P3s and P4s for SAR, and they are most suited to low-level grid/line searching. It turns out that one can search approximately 0.25 km² square on one battery. Anything over around 50 m AGL and you won't necessarily even see people or significant clues in other than ideal conditions. Trying to operate in 1000 m mountainous terrain is not going to be at all effective, even if you could get the aircraft up to those altitudes.
Key points here. This is a hobby drone, not designed for the demands of mountain search and rescue. I just can't see the practicality of search and rescue from a 2 lb hobby drone with a fixed camera lens, no capability for thermal imaging, 20 minute battery life, and no operation in temps less than 0 degrees C.

I think this is loosing sight of the original problem is it not?

Although if you did fly up to 500 meters above take of (that's 1640.149 feet) firstly it would take a time to get there (then how long could you be there), it would take a far time to 'fly' down again. It would be interesting to know how much battery all that would take? (safely)

Although if you did fly up to 500 meters above take of (that's 1640.149 feet) firstly it would take a time to get there (then how long could you be there), it would take a far time to 'fly' down again. It would be interesting to know how much battery all that would take? (safely)

IMHO it is exactly the point. A 2-pound hobby drone with 20 minutes of battery life trying to do SAR in the mountains at extreme altitudes is pretty much a no-go.

If he wasn't mad about the altitude restriction, which he is TOTALLY screwed up about, he'd be pissed when the battery didn't last 28 minutes because he's flying at high altitude, IN THE COLD!!!

The DJI manual a bit foggy. Yes it does say: "Maximum Service Ceiling Above Sea Level: 6000m"

Not sure what they mean by that because the standard term is just "Service Ceiling" There is no "maximum" and of course it's above sea level.

Service Ceiling is the altitude above which, a 100 foot per minute climb can not be maintained.

There is also "Absolute Ceiling" which is the maximum altitude that level flight can be maintained.

So, you bought 20 phantom 4s without testing one? What did your boss say about that?

I did this kind of flight last Saturday. The P4 has enough battery to climb 1600' a mile away and loiter 5 or 6 minutes on a good day with little wind. The secret is you don't need much battery to get home from that high, you can't depend on the DJI battery gauge for accuracy to determine when to RTH. However you'll need to experiment doing this to gain the confidence you need and gauge how long you can loiter.

This example from last week was not ideal conditions, at ~5600' take off elevation. Very windy. Distance was about a mile away when I RTH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon4420
I did this kind of flight last Saturday. The P4 has enough battery to climb 1600' and loiter 5 or 6 minutes on a good day with little wind. The secret is you don't need much battery to get home from that high, you can't depend on the DJI battery gauge for accuracy to determine when to RTH. However you'll need to experiment doing this to gain the confidence you need and gauge how long you can loiter.

This example from last week was not ideal conditions, at ~5600' take off elevation. Very windy. Distance was about a mile away when I RTH.

I think that your estimates are over-conservative. I regularly fly at take-off elevations of around 9000 ft, and the P4 will easily climb over 10000 ft and achieve flight times of 15 - 20 minutes. With a 5 or 6 minutes loiter it's returning with around 55% charge remaining.

i experience fly over 500m altitude until 1300M altitude and my phantom land at 13% baterai less, maybe must get a mod dual bateral to get extra time on the cloud/ tall mountain

Well thanks to the friendly group on here such as John Locke, and others, I wanted a P4 for a 1,500 acre ranch, with zero knowledge of using drones!
After 24 hours of asking stupid/newbie questions, I got the exact kit I needed!!
So as a member on here for about 24 hours, and don't know anybody on here, I find this forum to be very useful, and helpful!!
Thanks again to those who saved me tons of money, by answering all my newbie questions!!!
Another reason why, in just 24 hours of being a memeber, I already enjoy the forum, and it's members for having The patients that's required to answer all my questions!!
Can't wait to start flying, and showing videos/pics from all yalls help!!
Thanks
Jason

Reactions: Turbomania
I think that your estimates are over-conservative. I regularly fly at take-off elevations of around 9000 ft, and the P4 will easily climb over 10000 ft and achieve flight times of 15 - 20 minutes. With a 5 or 6 minutes loiter it's returning with around 55% charge remaining.
I was referring to the area I posted in the video, the Flatirons. That flight is a mile away, taking off from outside the preserve, climbing 1600' to the top. Loiter time is about 6 minutes normally, landing with 30%.

I really like that flight, I try to do it every time I'm in the Denver area.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4