DJI Smart Battery-Not!

It's post like this right here that causes others to be misinformed. My references are with the current battery setup. The battery itself could be a great product. The problems most likely are with the firmware developers. That's why we've seen problems one day and not the next.
Why does my post quoting the manual cause others to be misinformed?

Reactions: smyers63
Okay. I just gotta chime in on the , what I feel, is the deep seated center of this. It's basically like the old saying at a high end restaurant. If you are reading the menu and it has no prices and you ask how much a steak is, then you probably can't afford it. If someone goes out and buys a Mosaritti (spelling) and then complains about the price of gas..................get the idea? This is a high end quad. If one is unable to do the upkeep on it ,then maybe, just maybe, the word "Syma" comes to mind. I hate the cost of the batteries, but that is a part of owning a Phantom. Nuff said.

Apparently you must have missed the point of the thread.

I'll try to explain using your analogy. Say after purchasing your Maserati, the manufacturer updates the icm firmware and now your car will go no faster then 70mph. They give a reason for this, but let me 1st point out that your Maserati came equipped with the most expensive and state of the art battery in the car industry. Ok now the Maserati manufacturer says the reason they choked the performance of your super car was because the state of the art battery was unable to supply the needs of the super car.

So anyway, in my case I simply don't like the fact that another band-Aid was used just to get by....instead of taking care of it the the right way and be done with it.

Btw, I chose not to load the firmware. I use firmware 1.04.0010 and have no speed reduction or GEO Zone restrictions.

Reactions: Apilot101
then why are you complaining about speed reduction if you haven't even experienced it??? Don't complain about performance if you don't even update the firmware.

I think it is easy to say that the dji smart battery isn't so smart. As it is, it counts the number of days and can provide a drain after a set number of those days.

What is can't do, but should be able to do, is supply the P3 with enough power to perform as it should. We pay the crazy price of around $150 for a battery that is anything but smart. Anyone flying below 70f degrees will be faced with a near 41% reduction in speed. No...let's not set the battery up to supply the aircraft the power it ask for. And the reason for this is because the way they have had the batteries set up, it caused the temps to rise and be the blame for another jacked up part which is the body, as in motor mount area.

So we now have batteries that almost double the price we were paying just before the P3 was released. The smart batteries have their own firmware. For what? To have internal calendars to begin a drain cycle? Seriously...the smart battery is simply a ripoff. These batteries were a reason why we couldn't use the multiple batteries we already purchased for the P2V+'s. We had to be required to start over and reinvest to a different battery setup.

Surely, there is a better option that is less expensive, and not prone to dropping aircraft out of the sky?

Hmm.. 70f. Lesse... its February in Wisconsin. And the last time it was 70 around here? Hmm, that would be back in November or October of last year. So far I have NEVER flown in 70f or above.

The coldest I have flown was 12f. The warmest was 45f. And my highest speed was >46mph. Boy, I can't wait until it gets >70f and I can really open the P3 up and see what she can do. Hmm, 46mph plus 41% is 65mph. Holy cow! You mean I can fly faster than the freeway speed is here by the house? Man, I can't wait for spring! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters 2016-02-11 12-46-55.png
    HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters 2016-02-11 12-46-55.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 453
Technically prices of the P3 batteries should now fall as demand for batteries has shot up. It should not remain at the same introductory price. Prices of P3A and P3P have already shown downward trend.

Technically prices of the P3 batteries should now fall as demand for batteries has shot up. It should not remain at the same introductory price. Prices of P3A and P3P have already shown downward trend.
I have seen the P3 batteries go on sale at bestbuy a few times for $125

The price of these batteries are simply scandalous £124 for 18mins at best flight time is disgusting, add on to that they are the reason for some birds dropping out of the sky it puts dji to shame why have the reduced the price of all the phantom 3 range yet never once have they reduced these over priced batteries. I fully agree with frank on this topic!!
Sure there dear batteries but therse nothing we can do apart from not buying a dji ,take your choice

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think flynfrank is just trying to kick up dust with this thread, he accused me of misinformation for quoting the manual and never replied when I questioned him about it, complained about battery issues and then said he personally hasn't experienced any of those issues himself, trash talked DJI but then said he wouldn't get anything else? This guy has either had his account hacked, is having a bad day, or is just trying to stir stuff up.

I think flynfrank is just trying to kick up dust with this thread, he accused me of misinformation for quoting the manual and never replied when I questioned him about it, complained about battery issues and then said he personally hasn't experienced any of those issues himself, trash talked DJI but then said he wouldn't get anything else? This guy has either had his account hacked, is having a bad day, or is just trying to stir stuff up.
Why is he kicking up dust, he in my opinion is making a valid point about the batteries, he isnt making anything up its been proven with these batteries the flaw or whatever you want to call it that they have and they are in no uncertain terms a rip off!! Some people spend well over £1000 on 4 spare batteries,you could buy a couple of phantom 3 standards with that sort of money and gain 2 batteries that way instead, the price they are selling all the phantom 3 range for now doesnt line up with the cost of the batteries. I think its you mate that is stirring stuff up!!

Why is he kicking up dust, he in my opinion is making a valid point about the batteries, he isnt making anything up its been proven with these batteries the flaw or whatever you want to call it that they have and they are in no uncertain terms a rip off!! Some people spend well over £1000 on 4 spare batteries,you could buy a couple of phantom 3 standards with that sort of money and gain 2 batteries that way instead, the price they are selling all the phantom 3 range for now doesnt line up with the cost of the batteries. I think its you mate that is stirring stuff up!!
He isn't making anything up? How about when he said I was spreading misinformation by posting a page from the Manual? How about his claim of 41% shorter flight times whenever the temp is lower than 70 degrees Fahrenheit?

He isn't making anything up? How about when he said I was spreading misinformation by posting a page from the Manual? How about his claim of 41% shorter flight times whenever the temp is lower than 70 degrees Fahrenheit?
try reading my post again where did i state anything that you have just mentioned im purely talking about the battery and the cost of it which he originally posted, that isnt kicking up dust his other claims i cant comment on as i dont know the full facts as regards to them!The batteries arnt perfect and they bloody well should be for the price we have to pay so i think its a valid post with some good points raised!!

try reading my post again where did i state anything that you have just mentioned im purely talking about the battery and the cost of it which he originally posted, that isnt kicking up dust his other claims i cant comment on as i dont know the full facts as regards to them!The batteries arnt perfect and they bloody well should be for the price we have to pay so i think its a valid post with some good points raised!!
You quoted my post and asked why I thought he was kicking up dust, this is the post you quoted:

"I think flynfrank is just trying to kick up dust with this thread, he accused me of misinformation for quoting the manual and never replied when I questioned him about it, complained about battery issues and then said he personally hasn't experienced any of those issues himself, trash talked DJI but then said he wouldn't get anything else? This guy has either had his account hacked, is having a bad day, or is just trying to stir stuff up."

So I answered you
"He isn't making anything up? How about when he said I was spreading misinformation by posting a page from the Manual? How about his claim of 41% shorter flight times whenever the temp is lower than 70 degrees Fahrenheit?"

This is the 5th sentence of his 1st post:
"Anyone flying below 70f degrees will be faced with a near 41% reduction in speed."

Maybe you should re read the whole thread.

You quoted my post and asked why I thought he was kicking up dust, this is the post you quoted:

"I think flynfrank is just trying to kick up dust with this thread, he accused me of misinformation for quoting the manual and never replied when I questioned him about it, complained about battery issues and then said he personally hasn't experienced any of those issues himself, trash talked DJI but then said he wouldn't get anything else? This guy has either had his account hacked, is having a bad day, or is just trying to stir stuff up."

So I answered you
"He isn't making anything up? How about when he said I was spreading misinformation by posting a page from the Manual? How about his claim of 41% shorter flight times whenever the temp is lower than 70 degrees Fahrenheit?"

This is the 5th sentence of his 1st post:
"Anyone flying below 70f degrees will be faced with a near 41% reduction in speed."

Maybe you should re read the whole thread.
im not tit for tating with you his post has SOME valid points, end of!!

I think I've read every battery thread since August. Lots of discussion in this thread about air temp, but little about battery temp. Re flying in cold weather, what we've learned in multiple threads is, the air temp is not so important. What's been established is that you don't want a cold battery. What is a cold battery? 20C is cold. 15 C is much worse and I believe it will trigger a warning in the P3. 10 C is worse yet and it tempting fate. If you are flying in winter air and start off with a WARM battery (and I don't mean room temperature - I mean something around 30-40 C (86-104 F), your battery will perform much better with a much lower risk of catastrophe. Your battery is not going to heat up while flying as you might expect. It will actually drop in temp while flying in cold air which is why you want to give it assistance by heating it up prior to flight. How you heat it up is your business. Some have used hand warmers. Use your imagination. Just be sure not to allow your battery to reach 60 C (140 F) because that's the point where your battery will become dangerously volatile.

Hope this helps.

I saw a chap setting up to fly a Phantom so I went over to have a chat. Not that friendly. I felt sure he thought I was up to something, I wasn't, I just wanted a chat. I digress. Anyway eventually he got chatting about his setup and he said he had to get another battery. He reached into a cool box. In which he had a hot water bottle and his spare batteries. At the time I thought this was just a excessive but now I can see why he did it.

Whilst we are talking about 'smart batteries' my controller yesterday did say battery was too cold to fly. Ended up with a cold battery in my trouser pocket, fun, and going for a walk to warm both of us up.

I think the current battery system is at full capacity now. It must be a trade off between weight and life. For the battery to last longer it would have to be bigger? But bigger batteries are heavier so need more power to lift it off the ground? Therefore you need an even bigger battery.............. etc.

On a personal front I too think these batteries are VERY expensive but Id rather pay more for a battery than spend time on the local hills looking for a heli that just dropped out of the sky. Not knocking anyone. Everyone's opinion is valid. This is just mine. :)

PS. not to be confused with the original poster named Frank.

I wish there was a button on the forum to "dislike".
Some fast typing posters might be more reserve with their thoughts...

No, a few other posters...
and not just pertaining to this thread.
The bickering is entertaining to a point, but kinda sad for the hobby.

Last edited:
No, a few other posters...
and not just pertaining to this thread.
The bickering is entertaining to a point, but kinda sad for the hobby.
I know you are talking about me, if someone accused you of misinformation would you not be upset when all you did was quote the manual? There are too many complainers in this thread, if they don't like what they have they are more than welcome to sell it and go buy a different brand. Go back and read my posts, I post facts and try to help people.

Bickering is a human condition.

Everyone wants to be the alpha male.

You don't know these people and they don't know you so make your point [once or twice] and move on. Those who wish to research the facts will learn who is/was correct in time.

Meanwhile all this stuff just fades away.

Reactions: Sinisalo
Why would they need to cut motors in flight to begin with?

I'm guessing you will say it has to do with keeping the batteries from going below a set amount of volts?

I look at both converted .txt and .dat flight logs of every flight I go on. Would you happen to know if when the a/c is under a load if only 2 or 3 cells are being used, or if all 4 cells are used?
If it was say 3 cells leaving 1 for reserve would explain why there always seems to be a variance with 1 of the cells in the battery, wouldn't it?
Hi all, Just thought I would add something in reply to Marknmd, since I updated my p3p as its cold here in UK at the moment (some will say its always cold) but now when I set everything up to fly (the p3p that is) it comes on the dji app at the top middle with a warning saying (Warming up) is this because of it being below 10c, only takes a minute or 2 then all is fine and off I go.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub