DJI should include a tablet

fhk

Reaction score
With all the issues with google play and lagging and overheating, DJI should consider including a tablet with the drone with nothing but their proprietary software on it. I'm sure a basic $40 7 inch tablet would work fine if pilot and a basic browser was the only software on it. Then they could control those aspects of their software.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
Mmmmmmmm. No

Some manufacturers are including tablets or displays with their models to give them a value added appeal to draw sales away from DJI. I like using my own tablet I just wish they didn't rely on mobile device apps and used an actual program written in C++ .

Some manufacturers are including tablets or displays with their models to give them a value added appeal to draw sales away from DJI. I like using my own tablet I just wish they didn't rely on mobile device apps and used an actual program written in C++ .
Thats what I am thinking, a tablet just dedicated to the pilot program. Seems like it would solve a lot of their compatibility issues.

With all the issues with google play and lagging and overheating, DJI should consider including a tablet with the drone with nothing but their proprietary software on it. I'm sure a basic $40 7 inch tablet would work fine if pilot and a basic browser was the only software on it. Then they could control those aspects of their software.
Absolutely not. I had to buy Ipad Mini 3 to overwhelm all issues with Google and lagging. You have to activate Hardware Decode option, and you will not find it on cheaper tablets. It would be much better to bundle a RESET button, so I can forget about 1.2.6 issues

Reactions: skyhighdiver
It was a royal pain, buying an iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular, just to enjoy problem free flight experience.

A tablet offering would have been thankfully received.

RedHotPoker

Absolutely not. I had to buy Ipad Mini 3 to overwhelm all issues with Google and lagging. You have to activate Hardware Decode option, and you will not find it on cheaper tablets. It would be much better to bundle a RESET button, so I can forget about 1.2.6 issues
I'm talking about a tablet with only DJI programming on it and gps, no google anything, no hardware decoding, no other uses except pilot, gps, maps and internet to update.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I haven't seen any major overheating or lag latency issues with my Galaxy Tab A or Tab S. My wife's iPad mini 3 works good too, but it won't playback video because it doesn't have a card reader like my Tabs.

I havent had any real issues either. I am thinking it would be nice if DJI could spend the time and resources improving the firmware rather than keeping up with android and apple and their issues.

I for one am glad they have not done so. I don't like any of the offerings from other manufacturers that do so. I feel they are inferior to adding our own tablet or screen solution. And it would also have to be added to the bottom line in terms of cost of the product. The only thing I would accept would be an add on tablet with just their software as a separate item.

I'm sure a basic $40 7 inch tablet would work fine if pilot and a basic browser was the only software on it.
If it was that simple no-one would have any problems.
But the app itself is very graphics intensive and requires a high performance tablet.
It's not going to work with a bare bones cheapie.

Given your comment I think it's obvious your knowledge of tablets is very limited! A $40 tablet will never have enough processing power to transmit and process hi-def video. No way never happen. The iPad Mini2 is barely good enough and Androids are always complaining. It's going to many years before an iPad Mini 2 class tablet will be available for $40...

I haven't seen any major overheating or lag latency issues with my Galaxy Tab A or Tab S. My wife's iPad mini 3 works good too, but it won't playback video because it doesn't have a card reader like my Tabs.
Get your wife a $20 reader adapter and she can enjoy that too. You must not be flying very far if you have not had any lag issues with a Galaxy Tab?

It was a royal pain, buying an iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular, just to enjoy problem free flight experience.

A tablet offering would have been thankfully received.

RedHotPoker
Why was that a pain? I would hardly call it a pain to own a 64GB iPad with cellular option? You could just as easily have purchased an iPad Mini 2 with 16gb and no cellular and saved a ton of money. Your iPad configuration is way overkill for what P3 needs. Especially the cellular part. The iPad Mini 2's are selling for very low prices on Amazon.

Thats what I am thinking, a tablet just dedicated to the pilot program. Seems like it would solve a lot of their compatibility issues.
Yeah if they threw in an iPad Mini 2. for $40 it would but that ain't going to happen. Even if they did some Android nut-head will complain that it does not run on Android so there goes any benefit to DJI to provide a tablet? Seriously this is a really dumb recommendation? How hard can it be for someone to decide on which tablet to get. There are thousands of user postings with all the info you need to decide which tablet fits your budget and needs. I think it ill-conceived to leave that up to the manufacturer because they inevitably decide on the cheapest option and hardly ever the best option. Just look at all the crap video displays that come with drones in the same price range as the P3...

I was having issues using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (freezing) until I rolled back the Google Play Service to factory version. Now it works great. I would really like to be able to use my HP Pavilion X2 Detachable though as my tablet. I guess I could if I installed Android but since it's a WIn8 tab it does not play nice with anything. Even Win7.

I have a iPad Air 1 and have no noticeable lag and the app has never crashed. I love it because it works great and I always have it with me for work.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Given your comment I think it's obvious your knowledge of tablets is very limited! A $40 tablet will never have enough processing power to transmit and process hi-def video. No way never happen. The iPad Mini2 is barely good enough and Androids are always complaining. It's going to many years before an iPad Mini 2 class tablet will be available for $40...

Any tablet today can play a 720p video - it's not really that intensive. I'm not sure why everyone is stating this app needs the resources equivalent of high end graphics games. What for?

Like the Q500... with (what I've read as) terrible lag? No 3rd party apps that are (usually) much better then the stock app?

There are trade off's to everything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic