DJI secrecy...

Reaction score
Do we have to wait until the P3s are in our hands before we find out what software will be used to control our them?
Seems like, at least, we should be able to see an owner's manual.
All we have is conjecture, guesses, rumors.
We'll be flying the thing in a couple of weeks, isn't about time for some details, some solid facts?
Come on Dji, let's get with it.

Probably not secrecy so much as rushing to get it finished.
The software is the same app that the Inspire uses.
Download DJI Pilot and check some of it out.
Some you can only get to when you connect to the drone.
Also check the Inspire manual ... since the P3 is an inspire in a compact Phantom shell, much will be the same.

Facts and specs you can find under each product on DJI's site, it's not like you are buying a surprise you don't know anything about.
We know it's electric, it uses 4 motors, it comes with a controller, a camera, a gimbal, 8 props, charger. All the info you need you can find.
Or do you need the manual to tell you that the camera shoots in 1080p?
As stated before, you can download the software right now, it uses the same as inspire, that we knew from day 1.

You never ask for an iPhone manual before release, you never ask for the manual to the microwave you're about to buy, you get it with the product.

Either you're too lazy to read or I don't know, but these specs and this info is pretty obvious to me.

It sure looks like solid facts to me..

Weight (Including Battery And Propellers)
1280 g
Diagonal Size (Including Propellers)
590 mm
Max Ascent Speed
5 m/s
Max Descent Speed
3 m/s
Hover Accuracy
  • Vertical: +/- 10cm
  • Horizontal: +/- 1m
Max Speed
16 m/s (ATTI mode, no wind)
Max Altitude Above Sea Level
6000 m
Operating Temperature
0°C to 40°C
GPS Mode
GPS/GLONASS
Camera
Sensor

Sony EXMOR 1/2.3” Effective pixels: 12.4 M (total pixels: 12.76 M)
Lens
FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞
ISO Range
100-3200 (video) 100-1600 (photo)
Shutter Speed
8s -1/8000s
Image Max Size
4000 x 3000
Still Photography Modes
  • Single Shot
  • Burst Shooting: 3/5/7 shots
  • Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5
  • Bracketed Frames at 0.7EV Bias
  • Time-lapse
Video Recording Modes
Phantom 3 Professional
  • UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
  • FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
  • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
Phantom 3 Advanced
Supported SD Card Types
Micro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required
Max Bitrate Of Video Storage
60 Mbps
Supported File Formats
  • FAT32/exFAT
  • Photo: JPEG, DNG
  • Video: MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
Operating Temperature
0°C to 40°C
Gimbal
Controllable Range

Pitch -90° to +30°
Stabilization
3-axis (pitch, roll, yaw)
Vision Positioning
Max Velocity

Less than 8 m/s (when 2 m above ground)
Altitude Range
30 cm-300 cm
Operating Range
30 cm-300 cm
Operating Environment
Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (Lux > 15)
Remote Controller
Operating Frequency

2.400 GHz-2.483 GHz
Max Distance
2000m (outdoors and unobstructed)
Video Output Port
USB
Operating Temperature
0°C- 40°C
Battery
6000 mAh LiPo 2S
Mobile Device Holder
For tablet or phone
Receiver Sensitivity (1%PER)
-101 dBm ±2 dBm
Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC: 20 dBm
  • CE: 16 dBm
Working Voltage
1.2 A @7.4 V
Battery Charger
Voltage

17.4 V
Rated Power
Phantom 3 Professional
  • 100 W
Phantom 3 Advanced
  • 57 W
Intelligent Flight Battery
Capacity

4480 mAh
Voltage
15.2 V
Battery Type
LiPo 4S
Energy
68 Wh
Net Weight
365 g
Max Flight Time
Approximately 23 minutes
Operating Temperature
-10°C to 40°C
Max Charging Power
100 W
App / Live View
Mobile App

DJI Pilot
EIRP
100mW
Live View Working Frequency
2.4GHz ISM
Live View Quality
720P @ 30fps (depending on conditions and mobile device)
Latency
220ms (depending on conditions and mobile device)
Required Operating Systems
  • iOS 8.0 or later
  • Android 4.1.2 or later
Recommended Devices
  • iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
  • Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Xperia Z3, Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
  • *Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues

Last edited:
Reactions: Nas Bor
"Operating Range 30 cm-300 cm"

What do they mean by "Operating Range"?

That's for the ground sensor, it would seem.

The range over which the vision positioning system operate
The headings are missing from those specs. Check them properly on the DJI website

Last edited:
Ah, ok. Was going to say, that would be an all time record low for range if it was the operating range of a quad. My micro-quad goes further than 300cms LOL

Love the distance numbers on this quad. Dying to get mine, but won't buy it till all the beta testers report back to us on this forum. Thank you for your service. DJI, get them their quads sooner than later.

Bottom line; I'm anxious to see how they can make numerous improvements to a $1300 aircraft and sell it for $300 less.
I guess I'll find out I have one pre ordered.

Last edited:
As to the software...I just wish they could add "P3" to the description.
Why, exactly? You already know which app will be used. Adding 'P3' at this time would be misleading - the unit hasn't shipped; and more importantly, they haven't publicly released the update that handles the P3 detection.

The improved spec and reduced price will be down to several things:
- They will be planning to sell these in huge numbers bringing down the unit price as the manufacturing becomes more efficient
- The majority of the development costs have already been covered (as they are using a Phantom/Inspire hybrid)
- DJI will probably have cut their margins to squeeze out the newbies, at a guess the dealers will have less of a margin too.
- The sonic height sensor, lack of manual mode and glonass satellite capability will reduce the number of crashes (and hence the money they have put aside for warranty claims)

Reactions: bbfpv
I feel properly chastised. My post reflects the angst I feel because of having to wait to get my p3. I'm not a good waiter.

HD​

Yea well with a name like "hot dog " and a newbie at that you need to stand down a bit relax. Try reading the Inspire manual first off and stop flaming DJI. You haven't earned the right!

You also have to take into account that the USD has gone up in value about 25% since the Phantom 2 started sales and since China is cashing in those bills (exporting goods), they are able to lower the price accordingly.

I feel properly chastised. My post reflects the angst I feel because of having to wait to get my p3. I'm not a good waiter.

I am some times a good waiter. and I thought id wait a bit to see how the p3s are before even thinking about wanting to consider getting one. TILL the other day when I got to play with some ones inspire 1 and now it ruined me. and it even ruined my love for all of my other phantoms. I cant wait to get a p3 and have even had trouble sleeping the last week or so. Im even racking my brain trying to figure out how to scrape up some funds and even considered selling a lot of stuff I have including a some brand new an upgraded p3vs and even a brand new p2 with go pro and what other wise was a sweet fpv set up till last week now They dont even have much of a resale value being only a real sucker would be willing to buy my inferior junk for any thing even close to what they were worth before the p3 was announced. and id have to not only almost give them away. Tho I'm almost tempted to sell all of them but my beat up fc40 that I like as my beater fun/flyer and get a p3 now that i am actually jonesing and feinding for a p3 after playing with the inspire which is the same other then the shape and size and lower battery time. my old lady says I have even been tosing and turning and talking in my sleep the last week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic