DJI SDK

Reaction score
So apparently there is an SDK being released possibly today.

I thought maybe DJI would have made an inspire forum on their site but not activated it so I was trying a bunch of different forum IDs, but no luck, but came across the SDK instead. As it turns out there is an SDK site at http://dev.dji.com

SDK Features

Video
A long range video downlink, with a live on-screen videodisplay.
SDK Controls:
Real-time video preview, video data acquisition, and resolution settings.

Camera
Take 14 megapixel photos, 1080p/30fps full HD video, andmulti-angle aerial images.
SDK Controls:
Camera settings including Picture Quality, ISO, Exposure Compensation, WhiteBalance, and file Format. Ability to take photos, shoot videos, download photosand videos, and getting basic information from the camera and SD card.

Flight Controller
The world’s most advanced flight controller, combiningease of use and total control.
SDK Controls:
Transferring flight information such as longitude and latitude,status, altitude, speed, mode, home point, type of error, etc., and settingrestricted flight areas.

Gimbal
A 3-axis high performance gimbal, for complete cameradirection control and perfectly stable photos and videos.
SDK Controls:
Set and record camera position
Setting FPV mode.

Ground Station
A long range aerial piloting platform, with routeplanning and full flight telemetry.
SDK Controls:
Upload and download waypoints, set longitude and latitude, altitude, and flightspeed. Setup automatic return and one-tap takeoff and landing. Access fullflight data and joystick control mode.

Battery
High performance smart battery with safety functions.
SDK Controls:
Gather information on voltage, battery power, battery life, etc.

Range Extender
Enhances the Wi-Fi signal for image and videotransmission over longer distances.
SDK Controls:
Gather information on range extender power, voltage, link status and more.

Secure Wi-Fi Transmission
Wi-Fi encryption ensuring privacy and safety.
SDK Controls:
Activation/certification functions, and setting Wi-Fi passwords for the range extender.

DJI SDK V1.0 Release

Support for iOS and Android.
Support for Phantom 2 Vision and Phantom 2 Vision Plus.
Support for Level 1 and Level 2 partners.

Level 1 Supported Functions: Video, Camera, Flight Controller, Gimbal, Battery, Range Extender, Secure Wi-Fi Transmission.
Level 1 is a free, basic platform with limited features.

Additional Functions for Level 2 Only: Ground Station and Joystick Control.
Level 2 is for advanced users only, has a full set of features, and is not free to use.

h23YiXa.jpg

The DJI APP contest is starting now. Just submit an app you created using the DJI SDK, and you can win a Grand Prize of up to 100,000 RMB (approx. $16,350 USD) cash. Additionally, DJI employment opportunities may be provided to outstanding developers. Other DJI research funding may be provided and the best apps will be added to the DJI App Store.

So I guess there's also going to be a DJI specific App Store. Cool!

Sorry Coffee i am confused.
Who says no one wants your app ?
As i see it its a opportunity for you to enter the competition ?
Do it !

ToThePoint said:
Sorry Coffee i am confused.
Who says no one wants your app ?
As i see it its a opportunity for you to enter the competition ?
Do it !

I'm not a developer at all. I have never coded anything in my life other than in high school over a decade ago. I'm just a "tinker-er" like many of you :D

I didn't suggest no one wanted my app (it seems to have the most views on the whole forum), but with a bigger development community, I think a lot more progress can be made other than the small things I'm able to accomplish by modifying the existing stuff.

This is cool, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's iOS/Android only. Would be pretty great to get some basic Phantom functionality into a native Win/OSX app. Emulators only do so much.

ilovecoffee said:
The DJI APP contest is starting now. Just submit an app you created using the DJI SDK, and you can win a Grand Prize of up to 100,000 RMB (approx. $16,350 USD) cash. Additionally, DJI employment opportunities may be provided to outstanding developers. Other DJI research funding may be provided and the best apps will be added to the DJI App Store.

Where did you get this information? can't find it on their web site...

And btw I hate how DJI approached this SDK release. It is not open to everyone, you need to basically convince DJI to give you access to use it. And then you only get basic functionality. If you want full functionality which would for example include the things needed for ilovecoffee to recreate full ground station functionality, then you have to pay them!
They did not specify how much, the price will be revealed to you privately once you send them your proposal of what is that you want to create! It's probably gonna be pricy otherwise they would have no problem stating publicly how much it is!

What's wrong with you DJI!!! Just release it to everybody to download and use, and make cool apps for your drones! You will then earn from selling more drones! As people will have more reasons to buy them!
But noooo you have to impose tons of restrictions and then even charge for it!!!

I also believe this SDK and published terms and conditions are going to be used now by DJI as means to force Apple and Google into removing any existing apps for the phantom from the App Store/Play Store. Like booster and logger apps! As they would call it an act of reverse engineering which is now clearly stated as prohibited.

Nathan Carter said:
ilovecoffee said:

Where did you get this information? can't find it on their web site...

And btw I hate how DJI approached this SDK release. It is not open to everyone, you need to basically convince DJI to give you access to use it. And then you only get basic functionality. If you want full functionality which would for example include the things needed for ilovecoffee to recreate full ground station functionality, then you have to pay them!
They did not specify how much, the price will be revealed to you privately once you send them your proposal of what is that you want to create! It's probably gonna be pricy otherwise they would have no problem stating publicly how much it is!

What's wrong with you DJI!!! Just release it to everybody to download and use, and make cool apps for your drones! You will then earn from selling more drones! As people will have more reasons to buy them!
But noooo you have to impose tons of restrictions and then even charge for it!!!

I also believe this SDK and published terms and conditions are going to be used now by DJI as means to force Apple and Google into removing any existing apps for the phantom from the App Store/Play Store. Like booster and logger apps! As they would call it an act of reverse engineering which is now clearly stated as prohibited.

It was removed from their forum a few hours after posting

as i mentionen on another thread related to the sdk:

it sucks big time that you have to apply for the sdk, send them a brief about what you are planning to do, and even worse (i just found out) that at the end youll have to pay for using the sdk. and if that wasnt enough this is just a fragment of their terms of use...

DJI may permit you to develop applications to run on DJI’s products (“Developer Applications”) subject to your agreement to the SDK End User License Agreement (“SDK EULA”). By accepting the SDK EULA and developing any Developer Applications, you hereby grant to DJI a royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to publish and distribute your Developer Applications through any forum or marketplace for applications, including, but not limited to Apple’s App Store, Google Play or the Windows Store.

cmon dji that sucks

chapsrlz said:
as i mentionen on another thread related to the sdk:

it sucks big time that you have to apply for the sdk, send them a brief about what you are planning to do, and even worse (i just found out) that at the end youll have to pay for using the sdk. and if that wasnt enough this is just a fragment of their terms of use...

DJI may permit you to develop applications to run on DJI’s products (“Developer Applications”) subject to your agreement to the SDK End User License Agreement (“SDK EULA”). By accepting the SDK EULA and developing any Developer Applications, you hereby grant to DJI a royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to publish and distribute your Developer Applications through any forum or marketplace for applications, including, but not limited to Apple’s App Store, Google Play or the Windows Store.

cmon dji that sucks

Wait.... What?!

Does that mean that DJI will submit created apps by themselves to the App Store for example?! That would not make sense. How would then the original developer/s get paid?

Well, that's so weird. According to my knowledge, the SDK level 1 is totally free to all the users. And when we apply the DJI SDK, there is nowhere to ask you to pay for it "at the end" . Please advise if you saw any. And to what I understand, DJI will not put our designed app to the market unless the user would like to ask DJI for help and cooperate together.

Well I applaud DJI for what they are doing. They are basically finding programmers who are willing to pay them to program for them. Its a smart business move. Now as for its move in terms of its user base, it was a terrible move. There is really no incentive to program for them. In fact if you like the platform but none of the software, you can reprogram the drone itself, but then you have none of the backing to help trouble shoot. So basically you are paying to be allowed to program and then submit your program to DJI to be basically proofread so the drone doesn't launch itself into the sky or worse. Then you are also agreeing to revoke all claims to the programming.

Its probably a smart, quick and less resource consuming method of getting ahead of their competition.

I both applaud and boo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31