Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

DJI S800 fly-away while filming Gold Rush TV episode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhantomFan, Dec 22, 2013.

1. PhantomFan

Classic!! Looks like a fly-away can happen across all DJI platforms, not just Phantom and Phantom Vision. How embarrassing for DJI to have this broadcast! See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRYVyMIZ4s

PF

2. JTheed

Looks like a Futaba transmitter is being used too. Being as I am new to the RC world, is this just a DJI problem or do all other RC systems have this problem as well? Was this a Fly Away or did something go awry with the HexaCopter as it looked more like a malfunction being that it angled right to the ground.

3. OI Photography

Yep, and I'm curious to see what happened on their next test.

TBH, the S800 is not the platform I'd use for that grade of production. In fact, if I were those guys, I'd subcontract that to someone who already has some worthy pro-grade gear and more experience with the system.

I could tell that the guy who suggested using the S800 was all bummed when his clever plan to get to play with a new toy at work failed :lol:

4. Shrimpfarmer

You have got to feel for the guy. His hopes and dreams were smashed to the ground. How much you have paid for your craft is no guarantee of success either. :cry:

5. Gizmo3000

I've heard of many stories of big copters and big camera's that have come crashing down to earth.

Who knows what might have caused this crash/flyaway, but can happen to anyone it seems.

6. FlyingFish

Once the "Pro Pilot" stepped in everything was fine. Who knows what the other guy was doing. Love that show.... and how they film it.

7. PhantomFan

Never saw the show, but I had to share that video. I wonder what DJI thought or even if they are aware?

PF

8. phantomflyer

I'm sure DJI can care less and attributes it to user error, Could have been when that truck was coming in and maybe the trucker got on the cb who knows and the fact they where flying it over a water fall voided them out of any refund from DJI if things didn't work out and DJI seen the show! I am a big fan of the show and am glad the shots worked out for them to where they can incorporate the cool gadgets, But I was also wondering after seeing this episode about the FAA regulation and if Hollywood is exempt from them?

9. phantomflyer

Think he was more bummed on losing his job and having to go home, The Production Manager said that they but a bunch of money into the unit so he better get it working properly. So from the sounds of it it didn't belong to the operator but I'm sure he wouldn't have mind taking it with him if he got fired!!