DJI restricted area question

2 summers ago I was in Detroit with a friend shooting for the Michigan Tourism Bureau- getting stills & footage of Detroit. We called & asked the FAA if we could fly within 1 mile of the stadium during a game day just to show the crowds around.
At the time we would have needed a Waiver. But he wouldn't even consider it as we didn't have our 333 certification and therefore had to stay 3 miles away during that period 1 hour before to 1 hour after the game.
No ifs, ands or buts.
Without FAA authorization- and they are REAL picky about getting close to any large stadium during a game- you are not getting close. Legally.

Also I know here in Chicago if I get too close to any of our major stadiums- Wrigley, Sox Park, Soldiers Field, I can't even start my motors. That's the DJI hard NFZ working there.

My point was that not even the FAAs own databases are infallible. I am well outside the 5 mile limit around the airport, but like I said, neither the NOTAM or TFR databases showed a NFZ before, during, or after Clinton's visit. I'm quite sure flying a quadcopter less than two blocks away would have seen the Secret Service take action.

Perhaps it was an oversight there were no TFRs, but considering that just about every place Clinton and Trump campaigned there were TFRs I decided to use common sense and kept the bird in its case. I doubt very much they would have excepted the excuse, "but sir, there were no flight restrictions listed."

My point was that not even the FAAs own databases are infallible. I am well outside the 5 mile limit around the airport, but like I said, neither the NOTAM or TFR databases showed a NFZ before, during, or after Clinton's visit. I'm quite sure flying a quadcopter less than two blocks away would have seen the Secret Service take action.

Perhaps it was an oversight there were no TFRs, but considering that just about every place Clinton and Trump campaigned there were TFRs I decided to use common sense and kept the bird in its case. I doubt very much they would have excepted the excuse, "but sir, there were no flight restrictions listed."

How were you checking for TFRs? The FAA only guarantees one method - call flight services. And if there was no TFR then there was no TFR - that's not a failure of the FAA databases - it may be a failure of the SS to request one. If there was a TFR and you were simply checking unreliable sources then that is also not a failure of the FAA databases.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
And if there was no TFR then there was no TFR - that's not a failure of the FAA databases - it may be a failure of the SS to request one.

If they didn't request one I doubt that would have stopped them from knocking on my door regardless. Common sense told me to keep the bird grounded and fly another day.

As far as the airport goes, they have never responded to any voicemail or email I have sent so I just don't fly within 5 miles of the airport. The hospital helipad on the other hand always answers promptly and lets me know if there are any MedStar flights in the area and has my cell number to let me know of any unscheduled flights are coming through.

If they didn't request one I doubt that would have stopped them from knocking on my door regardless. Common sense told me to keep the bird grounded and fly another day.

As far as the airport goes, they have never responded to any voicemail or email I have sent so I just don't fly within 5 miles of the airport. The hospital helipad on the other hand always answers promptly and lets me know if there are any MedStar flights in the area and has my cell number to let me know of any unscheduled flights are coming through.

That's a conservative approach and I'm not going to criticize you for taking it. Just trying to clarify the issue with regard to TFRs.

I commend all of your actions and attempts to do the correct thing.

Here is my question. I am looking to take pics of Detroit Lions and Comerica park stadiums. In the DJIGo app it shows the stadiums are in a restricted area. That's cool but when I go to DJI's flysafe website to apply for a temporary fly date and time, the stadiums do not show up as a restricted area. Has anyone experienced this? The website just shows it in an enhanced warning zone area because of a city airport.
I would get clearance from the top brass before making any unclear moves like that.
I am a newbie pilot and I have a lot of fun with my aircraft. I am 79 years young and I still like getting out there with the rest of the boys, but, let me tell you this. When I was a young boy, I was very mischievous and I had a lot of experience with the police telling me I was where I was not supposed to be. This caused a lot of grief for. mom and dad. To be succinct, I obey the laws now and I still manage to enjoy the crap out of what I do. I stay away from airports, ball stadiums, and other places where the FAA and other officials would feel the freedom to curtail mine, if you get my drift.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl