DJI restricted area question

Reaction score
Here is my question. I am looking to take pics of Detroit Lions and Comerica park stadiums. In the DJIGo app it shows the stadiums are in a restricted area. That's cool but when I go to DJI's flysafe website to apply for a temporary fly date and time, the stadiums do not show up as a restricted area. Has anyone experienced this? The website just shows it in an enhanced warning zone area because of a city airport.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 463
Here is my question. I am looking to take pics of Detroit Lions and Comerica park stadiums. In the DJIGo app it shows the stadiums are in a restricted area. That's cool but when I go to DJI's flysafe website to apply for a temporary fly date and time, the stadiums do not show up as a restricted area. Has anyone experienced this? The website just shows it in an enhanced warning zone area because of a city airport.
An FAA Sectional is the only legal method to determine airspace. Apps are not legal and all will say as much in the fine print, (even the FAA's B4UFly app). On the Sectional link that I have included for you, there is Young Airport, (DET) Class D very close by, that you do not want to have to deal with. Other then that, the Class B would not be a factor, since you should not be above 400 AGL.
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Reactions: loonie01
I know I tried to fly one day that there wasn't a game that day but that was awhile ago.

I know about the hours before and after games but for some reason on non game days I still couldn't take off.
thats been the general problem with how DJI has implemented control around TFR's. They log all of them (at least the ones published at the time they surveyed them), but don't track the schedules of the facilities covered! So what the FAA published as a TFR becomes, in effect, a permanent DJI NFZ. Of course, even then, there is no guarantee that all are covered. You are still responsible to do your own checking for any temporary or new restricted areas. Begs the question if DJI can't guarantee that all of the areas are properly listed, why cover a partial list? At best, it gives pilots a false sense that they are complying!

Reactions: sar104 and loonie01
It should be very clear to anyone that has read my posts, checking NOTAM's & TFR's prior to every flight is imperative. In this particular thread, I referenced the overall airspace regulations that are in place and made no mention of NOTAM's & TFR's that would, by their nature, supersede general Airspace Regulations.

Update. I bought Litchi today and tried it out tonight. DJI Go still will not let me fly near Detroit sports stadiums. Even when there was no games tonight. I used Litchi and was able to fly near the sports stadiums. I think I'll be using Litchi more often.

So if it's not game time and not a NFZ due to an airport would it be sufficient to simply contact the stadium administrators and seek permission?

So if it's not game time and not a NFZ due to an airport would it be sufficient to simply contact the stadium administrators and seek permission?

The restriction is in the form of an FAA TFR (FDC NOTAM 4/3621), and only applies from one hour before until one hour after the game, so there is no requirement get permission outside those times.

Reactions: loonie01
I wouldn't think so because I really didn't fly over the stadium. Just flew within the NFZ zone just to see if I could fly in it.

Thanks, my thinking was that if someone saw a UAV flying around a stadium it may seem suspicious. But when the police arrive it would ease the conversation if we could give a name that has given permission.

Well that covers an "event". It also states that Leo can pursue charges.. And trespassing is mentioned. See.. Rather than argue the laws and rules, I'd rather be able to say "yeah I spoke with Big Dan and he gave me permission to get some video footage for my own use". Now permission may not be granted but it would definitely make the whole shoot a lot more satisfying. Of course having the laws and regulations will only make you look more responsible.

Well that covers an "event". It also states that Leo can pursue charges.. And trespassing is mentioned. See.. Rather than argue the laws and rules, I'd rather be able to say "yeah I spoke with Big Dan and he gave me permission to get some video footage for my own use". Now permission may not be granted but it would definitely make the whole shoot a lot more satisfying. Of course having the laws and regulations will only make you look more responsible.

It certainly can't hurt, especially if you are flying at the stadium. But note that the TFR covers a 3 NM radius, and so presumably you would not be calling the stadium for permission to fly a couple of miles away from it.

It certainly can't hurt, especially if you are flying at the stadium. But note that the TFR covers a 3 NM radius, and so presumably you would not be calling the stadium for permission to fly a couple of miles away from it.
I seem to aim high. I'm thinking full access. From inside. Lol

It should be very clear to anyone that has read my posts, checking NOTAM's & TFR's prior to every flight is imperative.

And even those are not infallible. Common sense should also prevail. For example I noticed during the presidential campaigns everywhere the candidates went there was a NFZ. When Clinton came to Johnstown her rally was less than two blocks from my house. Neither Airmap or UAV Forecast showed any restrictions. Nor were there any NOTAMs or TFRs listed when I checked.

Needless to say I kept my bird grounded. I'm pretty sure if I had decided to fly I'd have had the Secret Service knocking on my door.

And even those are not infallible. Common sense should also prevail. For example I noticed during the presidential campaigns everywhere the candidates went there was a NFZ. When Clinton came to Johnstown her rally was less than two blocks from my house. Neither Airmap or UAV Forecast showed any restrictions. Nor were there any NOTAMs or TFRs listed when I checked.

Needless to say I kept my bird grounded. I'm pretty sure if I had decided to fly I'd have had the Secret Service knocking on my door.
I will say it again here, for probably the 10th time. 3rd party apps are not legal for navigation. None of them. ONLY FAA charting & databases are legal for flight planning. Use of 3rd party apps will not hold up in court as a defense against an FAA Certificate Action.
Taken directly from AIRMAP:
"Any and all airspace maps, airspace data and flight restrictions provided through the Apps (a) may contain inaccuracies and are provided for informational purposes only, (b) do not constitute an official aeronautical source, (c) are not exhaustive and (d) may not be updated regularly or monitored for compliance".
Taken directly from vfrmap: "Important: We do not guarantee the accuracy of data on this site. Always use official FAA sources for flight planning".
FAA VFR Sectional raster charts:VFR Raster Charts
FAA TFRs:TFR Data Elements

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj