DJI repair/replacement worthy for horizon tilt and disconnect issues?

Reaction score
Love my phantom, but two issues are the constant horizon shifts and app no signal/disconnects on android. Should I send it to DJI? What should I expect?

Love my phantom, but two issues are the constant horizon shifts and app no signal/disconnects on android. Should I send it to DJI? What should I expect?
For the horizon shifts you can find numerous threads in here, but it boils down to Level, Level, Level. Make sure you are perfectly level, run IMU calibration COLD and then without touching the bird perform a gimbal calibration. Once all of that is done perform compass calibration before flying. The signal issues could be from an upgrade, but I don't see DJI considering them warranty, search the forums, you can find info on almost any concern. Happy Flying

It's a horizon tilt shift. No amount of calibration/fix works unfortunately

I have suffered with a drifting horizon for a while and can find no way to fix it that sticks. The people who don't have it think you only need to do a level calibration or adjust the gimbal roll setting. The people who do have it know that there is no amount of calibration, level or cold, that will fix it. (Note that a "tilted" horizon is not the same as a "drifting" horizon)

A few people have however. One guy, @Kman, was able to fix his by doing his cold IMU / gimbal calibration with the Phantom facing perfectly North. I tried that as well, but it didn't work for me. For some reason, I think that @snerd also was able to get his to work doing something similar, but I'm not 100% sure. His may have been helped with the update to 1.3.2.

I do think that the drifting horizon issue is in some way related to direction. For example, the horizon may be always level facing North or South, but tilts on opposite directions while facing East or West. I realize that may sound bizarre, but it was a compelling theory brought up by @BudWalker this thread.

I have contacted DJI about it in the past. After 20 days of trying I finally got through to them and they told me that it was not a warranty repair unless it was a tilt greater than 5 degrees. To me however, a tilt of only a couple of degrees is really bad in a video. A still picture is just so easily fixed that I don't care, but when the horizon drifts in a video it is far harder to fix since it is not constant.

You might want to consider that FPV Camera app. After I gave them feedback a while ago, they added an auto gimbal roll adjustment that checks the gimbal level every 2 seconds. Of course, the Phantom has to know what is level and what is not level. I am not sure that it does for people who suffer from the drifting horizon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20