DJI PV+ Flyaway - Crash - Definition (all about flyways)

Ok, so this is the response I got from DJI about my P2V+ flyaway. It makes me think that this is an ongoing well known issue with the Phantom. Any opinions? (I cut and pasted si it isn't exact)

Name
NO Phantom Model
How did you power on Phantom: Turn on the transmitter first or connect the battery first?
Where did you connect the battery: power Phantom on the ground or hold Phantom in your hand?
Did you modify the Phantom TX? (Modify the Tx stick command to meet your preferrence.)
Questions

Was it the first time you flied Phantom after you
1 purchased? If not, was it the first battery you flied
for the day?
Where did you fly your Phantom? Were there any HV 4 cable\ high-power device or power transmission
tower?
5 Was the self-checking process successful?
6 LED indicator status before taking off?(GPS signal?)
Did you calibrate TX physically? (Refer to A5
8 Transmitter Calibration in PHANTOM Advanced
Manual )
Is GPS/Compass calibrated recently and repowered the system?
10 How long did you wait before taking off?
Did you get 6 quick green flash before taking off? 11 Any solid red,yellow light during flight indicating
When does it behave abnormally? 1.on motor start-up (CSC)
2.on throttle up
3.in the flight
GPS/Compass interference?
Did you feel anything wrong at the beginning of the 13 flight,such as hard to control, random drift etc.,in
LED status when Phantom is out of control/abnormal.
case of flying away in normal flight?

What had you done when it's out of control and the response from Phantom?
1.moved the Tx sticks around see if phantom responded
15 2.switched to different modes and checked the LED status
3.disarmed the motors by CSC
4.throttled down to descend
5.turned off Tx to trigger fail safe go home

faadi80 said:
Hello People.
So i just crashed my DJI Phantom 2 Vision +. Before flying it the today (06/04/2014), I calibrated the phantom and than went on doing some test on it. As soon as I flew it in the air, it went off control in other words it flew away. It went really hight and all of a sudden dropped on the grass big time about 200ft away from me. When I checked it, the camera was broken from the gimbal, battery housing was cracked and was lying 30ft away from the phantom and one of the propeller was broken as well. I inserted the 2nd battery to see if this thing turns on, I was glad that it turned on but the camera is completely broken (pictures can be found on (http://www.fahadsworld.com/Drone.html)
Now the main issue is that I bought my DJI from B&H Photo, what should I do? Should I contact DJI about the repairs and warranty etc or contact B&H? A quick response will be really appreciated.
Since this is a flyaway problem what should i do? I am a semi-professional RC pilot. I am not a technical person but had numerous RC helicopters and airplanes in the past. I know how to handle RC toys and the DJI is very easy to handle but this time I don't know what happened.

I need help guys.
Sorry about your loss, after reading all comments on here I think a few people are just posting to increase their number of posts. I believe a flyaway is something that happens a lot but most are recovered and not lost, more experience one has the better probability it will be recovered in flight or by fail safe. When erattic behavior happens there isn't much time to gain control through whatever means available, wether failsafe, atti, or manual. After looking at the pictures I see only one end of one prop broke indicating the motors were stopped when it crashed, when it took off going up and not stopping I believe you tried to stop it by pulling the stick back to the point it shut the motors off. I had almost the same thing happen and to this point I believe it'ss something I did wrong trying to recover it, but it crashed in a pine tree 74 feet up when I took it up about 40-50 feet to avoid it hitting a building when it was not hovering and although responding to commands it was not a smooth control. Why it climbed to 74 feet I don't know and it flew 154 feet on it's own before crashing. The way I found it was from the sound of the motors as it was very well hidden in that tree. Only damage was two broken props on both ends because the motors didn't stop.

I've been reading up on flyaways since I see so many posts it has scared the piss out of me. My question is in regards to the 2 people who posted about the "flyaway" loss. If they had taken off with a correctly calibrated compass and at least 8 GPS links, if they had switched off the controller at the first sign of trouble do you think it would have made a difference? Thank you, good thread.

Joel

Another Fly a way!

So, my new Vision+ - just 5 days old - flew away yesterday to an unknown destination.

I am not a beginner, and I have been flying the old vision for a couple of months. This flyaway is basicly 95% pilot error and 5% hardware.

Things that did go wrong and something for you to think of next time you fly.

1. I had problems to get a GPS lock. It took at least 5-6 minutes. It was going up and down from 0-7 and I started as soon as I had green light.

2. It was very windy at 10-15 meters level, more calm at the ground.

3. I was flying around houses and threes. Not so much free space.

4. I lost GPS lock and it started to drift, very fast in the wind.

5. I tried to get control of the copter but lost sight for a couple of seconds, due to the sun.

6. The copter went out of my sight and my signals was blocked by buildings and threes.

7. I tried to run after it and I guess it took 10-20 seconds - but then it was gone - no sight of it and no radiosignal. Strange is that i flew 950 meters two days before...it should have picked up the signal??

8. From where it was lost there are kilometers of fields and it was very windy - so it could be miles away, due to the fact that the battery was almost fully charged.

Joakim

Re: Another Fly a way!

That only works as long as you have a connection to the copter, and the battery is charged. I lost controlsignal so that did not work.

You must go directly to B & H. Don't even try to deal with DJI. I had a similar issue and after I completed a survey form detailing everything about the flight, B & H decided it was not pilot error. They issued an RMA and I should receive the replacement Wednesday. If they handle your situation the same just be prepared to have all of the parts to return. It's taken about 3 to 4 weeks and a lot of effort but better that then a total financial loss. GOOD LUCK!

Re: Another Fly a way!

FearOfTheDark said:
That only works as long as you have a connection to the copter, and the battery is charged. I lost controlsignal so that did not work.

I would use the Find My Phantom feature, also. I know it works without a connection because I've tested it several times. After flying in a location, I would open the app and use Find My Phantom and there it would appear on a map exactly where it last was running, the day before! I've done that several times and each time it was correct. You might give it another try. I also agree to dealing with B&H. Wonderful company to do business with, with an exceptional return policy. Good Luck and I hope you get this all straightened out and back flying, soon!

How many have had no Flyaways or major issues?

Reading this forum can downright scare a new owner, and I realize we see the number of posts on people with problems because they come here looking for help, but how many people, if you had to guess a percentage, have purchased the DJI PV2+ and have owned one since they were released have had no serious problems? I'm thinking its higher than I'm getting the impression of. Or am I wrong?

Thank you,
Joel

If this aircraft [Phantom] is a person's first ever remote controlled aircraft... he/she should be scared ;) .

No, really they should respect it and what it is capable of doing to people and property if the operator is negligent.

A little fear is a good thing. It's part of the survival instict after all :lol: .

I would say that, of all the RC aircraft I own and have flown (40+), the Phantom (regardless of version) is hands-down the easiest RC aircraft I have ever flown. Unlike a conventional RC aircraft, the Phantom is very precise. If you fly an RC airplane, you had better be on top of things. One wrong control input, becoming disoriented for only a second, and your aircraft can be a total loss. The Phantom has a built-in pause...just let go of the sticks! With most RC aircraft, you have no telemetry at all. No altitude, heading, speed, battery level...you only know what you can see. Your flight time for most RC aircraft is based on a calculation and a timer you set on your remote. With many electric RC aircraft, your get under ten minutes of flight...sometimes as few as 4-5 minutes! Fly out of range with a regular RC and watch what happens. You certainly have no "Return to Home," "Auto-Land," or "Failsafe" at your back in the event you get lost.

For someone who takes the time to understand the aircraft, its controls & functions, and uses a bit of due diligence and common sense, there is no easier RC available.

For some time I've been boasting about how my PV and PV+ have always worked flawlessly and then today my P2V+ got a mind of its own.

Beautiful evening this evening with no wind, so I took the bird out into the garden. Within seconds I had 9 sats. I started the motors and whilst they were idling I walked a couple of yards to check the road was clear before I launched off in to the open fields beyond. To my horror with my back turned and absolutely no control input I heard then saw my P2V+ take off, climb to about 50ft and then hover ! The sticks would do absolutely nothing, so I flicked S1 to failsafe at which point it started to descend, I flicked S1 back up at which point I regained control, so I landed pretty sharpish.

Then it suddenly dawned on me what had caused the flyaway. I have a 5.8 panel antenna which connects to the remote control via a rp-sma connector on the top side of the RC. That antenna was missing, I had simply forgotten to screw it in after I got it out of it's carry case !

So it looks like, if your 5.8 antenna becomes disconnected the Phantom will do its own thing !

I wonder did it go into failsafe and try to RTH? 50ft is very close to the 20m it should ascend to, then flicking s1 you regained control as you would to take it out RTH. interesting.

It didn't say loss of control or returning home on the screen until I set the S1 switch down.

BTW : Watching USA V PORTUGAL at the moment. Good luck USA !!!!

Mossie said:
It didn't say loss of control or returning home on the screen until I set the S1 switch down.

BTW : Watching USA V PORTUGAL at the moment. Good luck USA !!!!

I'm with you on that, hope to see Ronaldo throw a huge strop and start crying :)

Back on topic, thats why they tell you to turn on tx and repeater first before powering on the phantom because in theory if the phantom is turned on without the others being turned on it can possibly go into RTH mode. Just speculating here.

ccrealestateguy said:
You must go directly to B & H. Don't even try to deal with DJI. I had a similar issue and after I completed a survey form detailing everything about the flight, B & H decided it was not pilot error. They issued an RMA and I should receive the replacement Wednesday. If they handle your situation the same just be prepared to have all of the parts to return. It's taken about 3 to 4 weeks and a lot of effort but better that then a total financial loss. GOOD LUCK!

He hasn't got any parts to return.

The Phantom will not RTH without CSC first (have to turn the thing on)
What happened here was the Phantom went to FS and that is why it took off like it did. I had a similar incident on my 2nd flight when the no-name batteries in the Tx shifted and power cycled the Tx. Phantom says "Loss of signal, I'm out of here!"

gmbn.inc said:
There is a hilarious video on YT where a guy has his Phantom on the kitchen table, props on & motors running (big no no). His transmitter is also on. Not sure what he was doing but when he finished he turned the TX off before the Phantom and this thing decided it would return home to the last place home point was recorded, which was NOT in the kitchen! Laughed my *** off watching this rampaging Phantom destroying the kitchen as it bounced off walls & seemed to attack the owner who was swishing at it like it were a giant bee or something! To top it off there's a woman screaming at the top of her lungs in the background. **** near peed myself.... If I can find it I will post a link!

Yes please, if you can find the link please post.

Looks like that is just what I experienced, a return to home from the ground.

Naza mode / Manual or Atti / Flyaway ???

Hi ,

My question is ....... When I use in Naza mode /IOC is enabled, S1 - top -Naza/ middle -Atti/ bottom -Manual mode

So .....when I flaying
1: in Manual mode is possible flyaway ??? or Atti mode ???
2: or... in Atti mode without GPS ????.
3: .....so flaying is SAFE, if I only used just 5,8ghz controller without GPS ?
Thanks for your reply

Re: Naza mode / Manual or Atti / Flyaway ???

From my reading on these "flyaways" they are possible in any mode. Many still think pilot error is involved, other experienced flyers have had them and say software. I think it's basically a signal hijacking of some sort, not a hardware issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20