DJI PV+ Flyaway - Crash - Definition (all about flyways)

Re: So I might believe in flyaways more now

BobUnplugged said:
If your Phantom flew away, would you be on the discussion boards ten minutes later writing about it, or would you be out looking for it?

searching for it in the dark??

Chamb0 FPV said:
Thanks for all you input guys

So after it went to 0 satellites first time the main reason we took back off was to see if we could get sat lock again. If we couldn't we would be in atti-mode at close range so wouldn't have been a problem. So after flying around in atti-mode at about 50ft, my mate says "I have 7 satellites again" so he switched to GPS mode so he could concentrate on a bit of filming. After about 3 mins into GPS, the Phantom started to drift away. He then says "Dam zero satellites again." I said "Bring it back home must be a poor GPS location" (Even though a week ago I was in the same place with my PV2+) He tries to flip it into atti-mode to bring back home but it still drifted 300ft away. He handed the transmitter to me, first thing I did is give it throttle because it was only 100ft high at 300ft away so I thought I would have a better chance this didn't work! Then the WiFi connection brakes about 30 seconds later all visual was lost.
Very sorry about your loss!
Some things you did right, some thing you could have done different.
First it is important to understand that satellites come and go over the sky! One moment you can have 10, the next 4 and you are in severe trouble! PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html and http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com before take off. There are good apps also like GPS Plan.
When you get <6 satellites a lot of things will not work like you are used to, RTH, Home Lock and Course Lock for example. If the Phantom goes in and out of satellite coverage strange things can and will happen!
Taking off with <7 satellites is a calculated risk taking! If you do this in a satellite shadowed area and expect >7 satellites higher up the LET HER SETTLE ON THE ALTITUDE TO SET HOME POINT! Just in case better flip S2 5 times up and down and watch green blinking indicating you have a Home point!
If you experience any kind of satellite glitch during flight. TAKE HER HOME IN ATTI MODE RIGHT AWAY! This is almost impossible without FPV if she is far away. Even in LOS it can be very difficult to see what direktion she is in in order to steer her home.

Chamb0 FPV said:
BobUnplugged said:
If your Phantom flew away, would you be on the discussion boards ten minutes later writing about it, or would you be out looking for it?

You would have a far better chance finding it in the dark because the flashing lights are visible from a greater distance in the dark.

Madwak said:
Chamb0 FPV said:
BobUnplugged said:

You would have a far better chance finding it in the dark because the flashing lights are visible from a greater distance in the dark.

LOL

RealDeal said:
andrewket2 said:
Someone reported that the ram connected to the H.264 encoder was emitting strong RF signals. It sounds like that could be interfering with the GPS. GPS sat count quickly dropping to zero, etc. I noticed today that Amazon has stopped selling the P2V+. That may be a sign of too many returns or a know problem.

I'm still seeing them available from Amazon. They are just out of stock direct from Amazon but listed for $1318.98

Yes, sorry, I should have been more precise. I try to buy direct from amazon (not a 3rd party seller). If i do buy from a 3rd party, I look for fulfillment by amazon.

So you lose gps , isn't it supposed to go in atti ?

BobUnplugged said:

Ok man so it may have been 20 or 30. So what's your point here? I went to the last GPS fix and it wasn't there. So then I'm looking at my 23 acres of massive yellow pine plus another 4975 or so acres out there. It's getting dark and I'm pushing 60. It's hard enough to stay oriented in daylight let alone at night. Anyone that lives in the coastal plain south knows what I'm talking about. I walked several hours and found nothing this morning. Flew my P2V over the canopy as well as over 100 or so acres of wheat nearby. Nothing.

Phantom pilots or Phantom flyaway forum ?

Is it me or is their more flyaway post here than other forums ?
I also go to RCgroups and though I see some post about flyaways it's nothing like here.
God it's getting me paranoid , feel like it's going to fly out of its case and out the window!
Maybe it's the forums name that draws a lot of noobies when the do a google search.

Re: Phantom pilots or Phantom flyaway forum ?

No its ok, this pv2+ forum has been struck down with a horrible dose of phantom flyaway paranoia aslo known as new pv2+ flyers who dont have a clue what they are at. We are currently working on an antidote, sit tight, but in the meantime if you can ignore any post that even mentions the word flyaway you'll eventually get to the good stuff ;)

They're won't be anything to read except " has anyone used carbon props ".

What is the accepted definition of a FLY AWAY?

There are many descriptions of fly aways on this forum. Those members that have a different definition, will disagree that it was a fly away. This leads to much discussion, sometimes containing valuable information, sometimes not. So it begs the question, WHAT IS THE CORRECT DEFINITION OF A FLY AWAY?

Quick math on this page's subject titles, at the time of this post ..... would indicate that about 20% are about flyaways (as the subject).
IMHO that 'is' high.
I suspect that it would be even higher, but some are probably not all that willing to post about having a flyaway, in view of the grilling they will receive most of the time.

I also find it kind of weird/counterproductive that they receive such rancor from others, for simply posting about their misfortune.
After all (right or wrong) it probably does more good to push DJI for better reliability than it doesn't ...
Although DJI might not read this forum, I'm sure they are aware of it's ......"flyaway bent". ;)

I can only assume that the flaming is more due to some people being more "don't you call my stupid brother, stupid" than them actually using their brains and first asking ... what will this do to further more dependable products from DJI? ... before they start to make fun of a person that has already suffered a loss of their Phantom, and is (after all) a brother Phantom flyer. :?: :?: :?:

That said ..... I do understand that some might be of the persuasion that in their opinion posting abut a flyaway, is just diss'ing the Phantom and is undermining their investment, so in the end ... the forum is just what it is according to your personal perspective.

Re: What is the accepted definition of a FLY AWAY?

Ok a real flyaway is and always has been, you have normal control then all of a sudden the phantom just goes full speed in one direction, keeping altitude, normally in a forward right or forward left direction. That to me is the true and proper definition of a flyaway and the last time I saw proof of one of those was when the pv2 first came out. I've seen 2 conclusive videos that were recovered from a pv2, both happened about 7 months ago. I've seen another 5 videos that has constituted as true flyaways from original p1 phantom which did exactly the same thing. Since the second firmware update of the pv2 non plus I have never seen proof of one single flyaway, here's why: How to avoid DJI Phantom Fly-Away by Colin Guinn: http://youtu.be/2bxjL7wFyb8 This is probably the best video any new phantom flyer can watch BTW. So here's the deal, they changed a very simple algorithm that stopped flyaways, END OF STORY!!! Now back to the OP, so that's a flyaway, now when the first phantom vision came out this website was full of the word flyaway, why? Because 99% of pv2's were owned by first time flyers, including myself. I luckily read every bit of information, manual and most importantly every pv2 youtube video, especially the ones with Colin Guinn, but I even checked out all the original P1 videos while waiting for delivery because I knew I had to learn quickly before I was gonna stick a piece of equipment worth €1200 at the time up in the air and hope it came back or there would be war with the wife. Then as time went on the pv2 forum stopped having the word flyaway posted less and less and its almost extinct now. Then what happens? The pv2+ comes along with its 99% newbie pilot brigade, except this time there are probably even more new owners, and as we all know now its camera and gimbal are much more fragile than the original pv2 which in fairness is a tank and takes some hell or a beating. So here comes the pride and misunderstanding part. So new flyers dont understand, compass, naza mode, many other things but especially Atti mode....... dun dun dun...... Misunderstanding atti mode is the cause of 99% of pv2+ "FLYAWAYS" I'm more than **** sure of it. Thats the misunderstanding part, the pride part is "OH **** my $1300 new gorgeous flying carpet machine thats gonna impress the **** outta my friends and family has just gone, or crashed, or bent gimbal, or ........" the usual ********. It musnt be their fault!!!!! Oh no, it has to be them dirty dji bastards selling me a piece of malfunctioning ****!!!! Eh no........ This machine is ready to fly out of the box, new pilots are not ready to fly this machine out of the box. There is I reckon a 1-5% that are true malfunctions and not pilot error. Mark my words, come xmas when they release the pv3 history will repeat itself once again and the flyaway paranoia will begin again and all you pv2+ owners will have a smug smile and understand that I'm right. Phew, I need a ******* beer, that was a rant :)

Sorry meant to say as well, how many posts have we seen with, "my gimbal is bent, what now?, it was my first flight" look every week and see how many of these are posted, then look how many times this member has posted, normally 1-5 posts before the crash posting.

As a Vision+ owner, I always read flyaway reports with great interest, hoping to discern what may have been the cause, and wanting to avoid a mistake that might lead to the loss of my own aircraft. I approach each report objectively. There are obviously cases involving what appear to be legitimate flyaway incidents. There are also claims of flyaways that are clearly attributable to pilot error. One report actually made me laugh, when a guy reported he struck a building, the bird smashed to the pavement below, and then he complained how crappy the camera was for not surviving! Another notable report complained about the Vision+ durability, because the pilot had "crashed his Vision 100 times" without taking damage. I guess a man has to know his limitations... :roll:

I never reflexively dismiss a flyaway report. In fact, I usually only comment on flyaway threads to offer condolences or if I notice something in the report that might explain the outcome. OTOH, it appears that for some, to even question a flyaway report, or to inquire about the details, is somehow "disrespecting" the pilot. To immediately chalk up every report to "pilot error" is just as bad as stating "its just a matter of time until your Phantom flies away." Sorry, not all the Vision+s are going to flyaway! We've already seen several cases where the flyaway was attributable to pilot error. Taking off from a manhole cover, launching from a metal table without waiting for a home lock. I have absolutely no doubt that some of these reports are simply people hoping DJI or their dealer will pick up the tab for their mistake. We need to remain open-minded and objective with each individual report, bearing in mind that the vast majority of the Vision+ fleet are flying just fine.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Sorry meant to say as well, how many posts have we seen with, "my gimbal is bent, what now?, it was my first flight" look every week and see how many of these are posted, then look how many times this member has posted, normally 1-5 posts before the crash posting.

Not having a shot, just an example of what Mal is talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17356

+1

Ive just spent an hour responding to first time posters detailing as much as I can and my fingers hurt AND im not getting to drink my beer but I think any of us with experience should please comment on any new flyers posts especially if they havent crashed yet to help them out.

RCgroups has had a thread on flyaways for along time , maybe a year at least. This isn't just a phantom problem.
Samething everybody got flamed about calibration , solar flares , you name it. Even did the form thing that you filled out to see if they could figure it out.
But it always seemed that for some reason DJI was getting defended. I got tired of the DJI defenders.
People don't realized you have DJI shills who get new products for free to give great reviews. I'm not saying its happening here. But I saw it on RCgroups , now these guys basically work for DJI.
Believe me I've posted my share of flames, really have little patience for stupid questions.. I asked some dumb questions and had a lot of help, but I started looking stuff up or doing a google or YouTube search, after I got flamed a few times.
How can you not read the manual after spending 1300$ ???

I pity some, flame others, and believe whats left.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj