DJI putting no fly zones around stadiums now?

Gary, IMHO, DJI is not required to control the national airspace. And really shouldn't try. I think they are doing the NFZ thing for hobby pilots, to try to educate them that they are indeed entering the NAS when they fly. Pilots will use tools that are designed for managing participation in the NAS system. ie. sectional charts, FSS, ATC and WXBRIEF. The problem with dji doing this, is they give a false impression of the nas for hobby pilots. FAR's require a pilot to become familiar with ALL available resources for a flight and the PIC assumes COMPLETE responsibility for the flight. Not just some map from a private sector company. 2 cents. B
Brad,
I agree with you that DJI should stay out of the NAS system. My post is about a private company putting inconsistent flight limiting software into their products. Their choice I guess. Our choice to or not to do business with them. As a licensed pilot, I agree with you pilots are knowlegeable, or are supposed to be, about the NAS and it resources of information.

Brad,
I agree with you that DJI should stay out of the NAS system. My post is about a private company putting inconsistent flight limiting software into their products. Their choice I guess. Our choice to or not to do business with them. As a licensed pilot, I agree with you pilots are knowlegeable, or are supposed to be, about the NAS and it resources of information.
Exactly! My personal choice is for the person using products should have the choice, not to be controlled by governments and companies. More of a personal responsibility, conservative, libertarian point of view. It may be our governments pressure that makes them do that, political pressure etc...I think my next uav may be from a company that sees life more like I do. our government has grown so big and powerful, it now controls just about all aspects of day to day life. Which IMHO is unfortunate. You see this in many things, like uav use. I say prosecute the arrogant and educate the ignorant instead.

DJI is only doing this to avoid regulations against them as a company. Unfortunately this directly affect how we fly. DJI needs to show lawmakers that they are already putting measures in place to prevent issues with their products. This prevents further regulations against their products. DJI is not trying to directly limit the use of their product or regulate airspace. We can have this now or we can expect light tighter restrictions later on. Right, wrong... it does not matter. I'm sure there are so many things going on right now between DJI and various governments that it's not even funny. Wheeling and dealing behind closed doors.

DJI is only doing this to avoid regulations against them as a company. Unfortunately this directly affect how we fly. DJI needs to show lawmakers that they are already putting measures in place to prevent issues with their products. This prevents further regulations against their products. DJI is not trying to directly limit the use of their product or regulate airspace. We can have this now or we can expect light tighter restrictions later on. Right, wrong... it does not matter. I'm sure there are so many things going on right now between DJI and various governments that it's not even funny. Wheeling and dealing behind closed doors.
That may be true, but DJI hasn't done their homework properly with their inconsistencies in some airports being included and some not in their NFZ software. Another example: the airport here at my location. One end of the runway is in their NFZ, the other end is not.

And by doing this, they exclude themselves from the commercial operators. Who can file for authorization to fly closer to an airport etc...

Surely DJI are just doing their bit to stop the brand being associated with irresponsible flying. The no fly zone is FAA stipulated, not by the choice of DJI.
Maybe so but they can't just put a 24/7 restriction on all these areas that only need temporary NFZs.
Well the CAN- but it totally sucks.

Just had a shock when I tried to fly at sunrise by the Chicago Planetarium & Aquarium on the lake. One of the best spots to do lakefront cityscapes in Chicago.
Our Soldiers Field stadium is within a 1/2 mile of that spot and now I can't even start my motors.

It's sunrise on. Non game day. Totally legal to fly.
Very upsetting.

Dji you need to fix this!
I have an app called Hover that manages to show Temporary NFZs when applicable. And they aren't there when it's ok. Why can't you?!???

It is 100% Legal to fly near a stadium when not 1 hour before through 1 hour after a game.

Unfortunately I think that DJI's efforts to avoid tighter restrictions will not work at all, if in fact that is what they are trying to do.
Big government, like ours, implements restrictions, tighter and more tighter, that's just one of the many things they enjoy doing.

So has anyone actually tried to fly their P3's near any of this no fly zones around stadiums or you all just talking because you see it marked on the app as a no fly zone(yellow btw)... Im pretty sure you wont be able to fly above the actual stadium but if you live near the no fly zone you will be able to fly withing a height limit... The furthest you live from the center of the no fly zone.. the highest you will be able to fly...
Read my post ...

So has anyone actually tried to fly their P3's near any of this no fly zones around stadiums or you all just talking because you see it marked on the app as a no fly zone(yellow btw)... Im pretty sure you wont be able to fly above the actual stadium but if you live near the no fly zone you will be able to fly withing a height limit... The furthest you live from the center of the no fly zone.. the highest you will be able to fly...
Yes. This morning I tried to fly by Adler Planetarium in Chicago. A great place for lakefront skylines and wonderful line of sight for all of downtown Chicago. And my motors would not even start because of the stadium - Soldiers Field- within 1/2mile of the spot.
It was 6:45 am in the morning.
Ridiculous.

And by doing this, they exclude themselves from the commercial operators. Who can file for authorization to fly closer to an airport etc...

Yea, but, the Phantom is an 'everyman's flying camera'. Used by some commercially, sure but not it's targeted demographic.

Pro level MCs alone cost as much as the P3. Besides quads have zero redundancy and are not reliable [safe] enough to be put in many situations.

Last edited:
Why do people think that strapping a camera to a toy model aircraft somehow makes it any more acceptable in many situations then any other model aircraft?

If the 'every-man' began flying fixed wing models in the same locations and in the same numbers as drones the same result would likely have occurred many years ago.

Model airplane enthusiasts fly in controlled conditions with pilots who have taken the time and dedication to learn how to FLY a model aircraft and practice safety precuations to minimize the chance of injury or damage to other persons and property.

There's a lack of perspective and objectivity amongst some. These toys fly themselves and all the 'horror stories' we read here and elsewhere prove the lack of respect for others, poor judgement, and sense of entitlement of many of the 'every-man' operators.

Last edited:
Brendan from DJI here. We just reduced the radius to half (connect your GO app and the drone to the internet for the update). Also, this is a temporary measure and we are working on a more comprehensive approach, so please bear with us. Thank you.

Brendan from DJI here. We just reduced the radius to half (connect your GO app and the drone to the internet for the update). Also, this is a temporary measure and we are working on a more comprehensive approach, so please bear with us. Thank you.
Do you mean the permanent NFZ around all stadiums now have a smaller radius?if true that would be helpful.

None of you should be even flying near stadiums if there is a game or not. They are all located in populated areas regardless. I'm glad they locked it down. Freaking noobs

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

In my opinion, they should lock down any area that is populated

New for 2016 - UK Phantom Holidays (vacations)

Come enjoy amazing non-restrictive flying around the south coast of the UK.

Enjoy the miles of forest in the nearby "New Forest"

Or the (endless) miles of Jurassic coast & 7 miles of uninterrupted (international award winning) sandy beaches..

Avoid the disappointment of having to wait for you P3 batteries to charge by visiting in August - where you can also enjoy the the infamous "Bournemouth Air Show"

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444460678.236631.jpg

BOOK NOW TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT

+ 44 800 I-LOVE-UK

Brendan- how do I update the P3?
Another firmware update? My DJI go shows the new map, but when I got on site & plugged in the RC & connected to the P3 the map went back to the d larger NFZ.
Missing a gorgeous sunrise!

None of you should be even flying near stadiums if there is a game or not. They are all located in populated areas regardless. I'm glad they locked it down. Freaking noobs

God save us from Blowhard know-it-all's who don't know what the Frack they are talking about.
You know where every stadium in the country is?
Look at a map of Chicago, find Soldiers Field- on Lake Michigan , which you probably don't know is Really **** Big. And see the peninsula where Adler Planetarium is. .4 mile North of the stadium. Beautiful place for city skyline shots of Chicago.
And not a residence within a mile or more.
We fly over the LAKE there with no possible harm to anyone or thing.

USA questions: Just some things Iv thought about...
Q: Has the FAA mandated DJI to include restricted zones in the software? Did DjI volunteer to do that?
Q: If DJI is regulating airspace, will it follow the FAR's, or is it making up different rules?
Q: When DJI included airspace regulation in it's software that is more and sometimes less restrictive than the FAR's, will it come out with a software version for pilots and commercial operators? So those will be able to follow one set of regulations and not two? (The official FAA FAR's in the US.)
Thank you
b

I also sent you a private message.
After your post I did connect at home via Internet. I updated DJI Go and then turned on the P3.
Scrolled the map around where I wanted to fly this morning.
The NFZ around Soldiers Field in Chicagp showed the new smaller circumference which would allow me to fly from where I wanted. All good.

Until I got on site and as soon as I connects with the P3 that red NFZ circle jumped back to the larger circle, and again I was in an NFZ. Unable to take off.
What happened and how do we update the P3 itself- if that's what needs to be done???

Now I am back home and again connected to the p3 and wifi is on. I moved the map back to my spot downtown and it shows as the new smaller circle. Again. How can I be sure it's updated?

I am using an iPad Mini 3 - iOS 8.4 and the P3 is up to date with latest firmware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav