DJI putting no fly zones around stadiums now?

This has gotten completely out of hand. Dji basically put a no fly zone around the whole downtown of my city. Even the parks are a no fly zone now

If I can't find a way around this, I'm done with dji.

I haven't updated my firmware to 1.4 but it still shows up in the app. Can I use autopilot to fly ?

Last edited:
WTF! DJI is getting a little out of hand. I live near Baltimore and I like to get early morning footage at sunrise. There are not games going on around 0630. These restrictions cut into the harbor.
Surely DJI are just doing their bit to stop the brand being associated with irresponsible flying. The no fly zone is FAA stipulated, not by the choice of DJI.

This has gotten completely out of hand. Dji basically put a no fly zone around the whole downtown of my city. Even the parks are a no fly zone now

If I can't find a way around this, I'm done with dji.

I haven't updated my firmware to 1.4 but it still shows up in the app. Can I use autopilot to fly ?

Don't blame DJI, you can thank our fellow drone operators that can't/won't exercise safe/smart flying.

What's possible next? Maybe we should not give out Ideas?
The Stadium and Sporting Venues are going to get hit as stated above, some DOLT thinks it's cool to fly over crowds of bystanders to show off his toy. :rolleyes:

On the Other Hand
The School across the street from me has been designated as an Emergency Helicopter Landing Site, in part due to the Large fields and lack of obstructions and central location during wild fires or injured Victims. Now I Off road in wilderness areas and come across landing pads for fighting fire fires are these both next?

Hospitals not all but some have Landing pads on the roofs for Life Flights are they Next?

As for the school I fly across the street, if I'm up in the air and one of these Life Flights comes zooming in and I can't land fast enough because I am in the Air ( Of course trying to bring it in knowing whats going on) I see the head lines now! Drone Operator prevents Life Flight aircraft from landing to pick up critical victim of car crash.

My First thought when this news of the designated area was made public was no more flying across the street or near by. I see a no fly zone being setup once someone makes a mistake of flying in this area at the wrong time.:( But You know what! Kids fly Kites all the time on the fields same scenario no kite flying signs going up too. Just a dumb place to put IMO soccer games all kinds of issues are going to arise.

Not enough coffee complaining must leave. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary E and S5S5G6
Yeah. My problem with this in general is that there is no way to stop DJI from restricting flight in whatever areas they feel are necessary to make the Feds happy. If the app restricted flight consistent with the conditions of the TFR then that's one thing. But they obviously have no ability to do that.

When does DJI start incorporating state and muni laws too? My city has a complete ban on drones. Put a no-fly zone in the software for my whole city? No flight below 350' over schools during school hours. Just throw in no-fly zones around all schools all the time? I could go on and on.

Yes this is due to some bad apples but it is also hugely overbroad.

When does DJI start incorporating state and muni laws too? My city has a complete ban on drones. Put a no-fly zone in the software for my whole city?
Assuming you're in the US, are they allowed to do that?
I thought the FAA claimed absolute authority, and municipalities couldn't ban flight (though I guess they could ban takeoff/operation, similar to Federal Parks).

"Land of Confusion"

Has anyone tried to fly in these areas? DJI lists them as "special area." Looks like they added Wrigley field and Soldier field in Chicago. Seems like a 3,000 foot radius around the stadiums.

So the average NFL stadium is off limits about 50 hours a year per the Feds, but 8,760 hours per DJI.

I see the Superdome in New Orleans is a no fly zone. It has a roof which I'm sure is Phantom 3 proof.

This kind of arbitrary limitation by DJI is ridiculous and overbearing.

Reactions: Gary E
Assuming you're in the US, are they allowed to do that?
I thought the FAA claimed absolute authority, and municipalities couldn't ban flight (though I guess they could ban takeoff/operation, similar to Federal Parks).

"Land of Confusion"

I don't know what they can and can't do, but nonetheless here is the code section, and most of the surrounding cities have similar ordinances (though some are less restrictive than this).

Municode Library

On my map, Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium are blocked. The Coliseum and Rose Bowl are not blocked. Disneyland (which has had a TFR for years) is not blocked.

I am going to stop talking now because I don't want to give anyone any ideas.

Reactions: thtguyjosh
Yeah this is a bummer being that I now can't fly near downtown San Diego because of Petco Park. I operate my P3P for construction documentation and have a few sites within this that I can't get to now.

So out of curiosity, what if you set your phone to airplane mode? Would you be able to bypass the zones because your phone won't know via GPS where it is? Or maybe disable the GPS? I'm sure the firmware depends on the phone/tablet to know where it is in relation to the restricted areas. Correct? Or perhaps ATTI Mode?

Reactions: meringueman
Wrong GPS receiver.

The one in the a/c is used for location.

You can't bypass it (as of yet).

Wrong GPS receiver.

The one in the a/c is used for location.

You can't bypass it (as of yet).
I understand DJI is trying to protect it's interests and business but it does seem a bit over-reaching. Honestly I don't even understand the reason why stadiums are off limits according to the FAA anyway. They aren't for other aircraft. Blimps fly over them all the time. Airplanes fly over with banners for advertisement.

I guess they try to plan for the occasional idiot with an expensive toy. But to try to control everyone based on the off chance of a few, well, it seems way overboard to me. And I'm sorry... But I don't see one of these causing that much damage anyway. If a plane crashes into a crowd people will die. If a P3 crashes into a crowd, someone may get a cut. o_O

So, I am pretty sure that if you live within one of these Stadium no fly zones (as someone else posted in another forum) that you cannot even arm your motors in your OWN home! So, maybe (not verified) you would not even be able to use the flight simulator in your home either if you lived in those areas.

I understand DJI is trying to protect it's interests and business but it does seem a bit over-reaching. Honestly I don't even understand the reason why stadiums are off limits according to the FAA anyway. They aren't for other aircraft. Blimps fly over them all the time. Airplanes fly over with banners for advertisement.

I guess they try to plan for the occasional idiot with an expensive toy. But to try to control everyone based on the off chance of a few, well, it seems way overboard to me. And I'm sorry... But I don't see one of these causing that much damage anyway. If a plane crashes into a crowd people will die. If a P3 crashes into a crowd, someone may get a cut. o_O

Really,

There were two reports of drones crashing in stadiums, while people are in attendance, in the last few days.

Some drone pilots' lack of objectivity regarding safety for non-participant/non-consenting people vs. their 'right to fly' are the reason you hear these stories and such restrictions are put in place.

But since the overwhelming majority of Phantom owners never flew an r/c a/c before it's somewhat understandable as they have no experience with in-flight failures or respect for what they can do to flesh and bone.

Reactions: sergekouper
Really,

There were two reports of drones crashing in stadiums, while people are in attendance, in the last few days.

Some drone pilots' lack of objectivity regarding safety for non-participant/non-consenting people vs. their 'right to fly' are the reason you hear these stories and such restrictions are put in place.

But since the overwhelming majority of Phantom owners never flew an r/c a/c before it's somewhat understandable as they have no experience with in-flight failures or respect for what they can do to flesh and bone.
Yeah, I understand the reasoning. There is incompetence and lack of understanding about aircraft failures I'm sure. I just don't like the mandatory, across the board restriction by the manufacturer. It's intrusive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31