DJI Propulsion Systems

Reaction score
Greetings, all. Kind of a noob still and new to this site. I was looking for a set of props and noticed some of them are made/matched for particular aftermarket DJI Propulsion Systems. Can someone please explain what this is, how it might benefit my phantom and if its worth the money. Thanks, guys!

Those are for people building their own drones. Start from a frame, choose the flight controller, ESC, motors, propellers, battery, radio, etc

Not for Phantoms. Your Phantom is already fully optimized, and using the correct propellers is the best way to keep it flying efficiently. There are third party propellers that are cheaper than DJI's, but rarely as good. But no other DJI propeller works as well as the one designed for the Phantom and its motors

Oh, so I could theoretically build my own Phantom but with a different body?
You can build a drone, any size/feature/number of motors (from 3 to 8, usually). It would not be a Phantom, though, since most of the Phantom components (like the flight controller and gimbal) are proprietary and not likely to work when installed in different size drones. You could move your P3S components to different frame, but would need to keep (roughly) the same distance motor to motor and roughly the same weight and weight distribution (i.e. would basically end up with a very similar drone). The P3S firmware is optimized for a drone that looks like a P3S, and won't work well outside of that. Generic flight controllers allow you to change its parameters for any size drone (any weight, number of motors, etc) but require some understanding of PID tuning

Here are a couple of links to give you a sense of what it looks like DIY drones: 20 kits to build your own - TechRepublic and How to Build a Drone - A Definitive Guide For Newbies

There was a time (like in the prehistory of 4 years ago :)) when building a drone was the way to go: more features, cheaper. These days if you need a generic drone for video applications, a P3S competitor is impossible to build DIY for less/same features (i.e. you can either build something for less, but will have fewer features, or something better than a P3S but for much, much more). Vertical integration and mass production has dramatically lowered prices (in no small part because DJI wants to maintain their market presence by pricing pretty aggressively).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj