DJI Propeller Guards for P4P are in

Reaction score
Just received P4P propeller guards ftom DJI today. It is interesting to see that these are motor location-specific and are color coded to match the motor locations like the propellers. There is a warning in the propeller guard manual that says not to mix the installation locations "to avoid affecting the Vision System."

I will install them tonight and report back on that process. Won't be able to fly until later in the week to see if there is any impact to vision system.
IMG_1026.JPG

They act as a sail in the wind. That's why a lot of people don't use them.
They are most commonly used for indoors or very close-quarters flying at low speeds where any affects on flight characteristics are minimal.

The P4P prop guards show out of stock on the DJI Store. Note that there are two different style of prop guards that show up on the DJI site indicated as being for the 'Phantom 4 series' but neither makes any mention of 'Pro', even though the P4 and P4P prop guards are different. But I assume the link below is correct for the P4P, since it is the one that looks like the item you bought. Lots of vendors get these confused but it's pretty bad that even DJI can't get it straight.

Phantom 4 Series - Propeller Guard | DJI Store

Last edited:
Interesting.

I have never flow prop guards on any of my older Phantoms. I did not realize the P4P guards would snap on/off from a factory location. I do a lot of close proximity inspection flying. I might check those out if they were available

Interesting.

I have never flow prop guards on any of my older Phantoms. I did not realize the P4P guards would snap on/off from a factory location. I do a lot of close proximity inspection flying. I might check those out if they were available

I do close inspections as well. No need for prop guards. I just use tripod mode and utilize the 360 degree collision avoidance.

I ordered from DJI on Dec 29, and got an email from them in the middle of January stating that the guards were on back order. I got another email last Thursday saying my order had shipped, so I'm not sure why they are still currently listed as being on back order.

Here are some pics with the guards installed. My first attempt to get the clear plastic inserts out of the P4P was futile. Then using both thumbs to push up from the bottom while keeping my index fingers on the top of the arm had them all come out really easily. The prop guards slide into the slot with a solid click when seated. Removing is easily done by pushing on the tab and lifting off the arm.

Overall, I am not very impressed with the level of protection provided --- hitting a wall head on or while going backwards is going to make contact with the props. Side protection looks to be ok. I doubt that I will be using these very much.

Guards_3436.jpg
Guards_3439.jpg
Guards_3440.jpg
Guards_3441.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanK
Hmm... odd that there's no forward/backward protection. I guess the idea is that when flying indoors you're more likely to drift sideways into something then fly straight into it... maybe. The only good aspect is the minimal design may have fewer negative aerodynamic effects than larger guards.

I ordered from DJI on Dec 29, and got an email from them in the middle of January stating that the guards were on back order. I got another email last Thursday saying my order had shipped, so I'm not sure why they are still currently listed as being on back order.

Here are some pics with the guards installed. My first attempt to get the clear plastic inserts out of the P4P was futile. Then using both thumbs to push up from the bottom while keeping my index fingers on the top of the arm had them all come out really easily. The prop guards slide into the slot with a solid click when seated. Removing is easily done by pushing on the tab and lifting off the arm.

Overall, I am not very impressed with the level of protection provided --- hitting a wall head on or while going backwards is going to make contact with the props. Side protection looks to be ok. I doubt that I will be using these very much.

View attachment 77842 View attachment 77843 View attachment 77844 View attachment 77845

How do they absorb shock or hits from the side?

I'm getting a p4 just front OA, so it's ok with me if the protection is minimal. I have difficulties with side scrapes. At least while I'm still new at this they could work out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan