DJI, Please fix these things

Today, while trying to get a pic of my cabin, I was flying over my pond. I wanted it to hover at about 8 or 9 feet above the water so I could fiddle with the camera, When I let go of the sticks, the P4 starting rising. There were a lot of trees around, so I didn't wait to see how far it would rise so I took control and abandoned the shot.

Read about the VPS (Visual Positioning System) over water. Water throws off the sensors causing altitude changes. I've tested the same thing and experienced what you did. And while we're talking about P4 feature requests, I might as well mention that people have requested an option to turn off VPS but nothing has come yet.

I'm now reminded by another thread. If Imperial or Metric is selected, only that rule should be used throughout the DJI Go app. RTH always in metric is an example.

Not a fix , but an enhancement , Cruise Control .
You know , something like Ron Popeil would do, "Set it , and forget it " .
Tap-to-fly is pretty close to cruise control. It is still one feature I haven't used, but I'd like to use it in my distance runs because it is like cruise.

Tap-to-fly is pretty close to cruise control. It is still one feature I haven't used, but I'd like to use it in my distance runs because it is like cruise.
Mostly looking to set it for a certain speed and leave it there for the distance shoot out . Hard to keep your P4 going the same speed unless you have super steady hands and a table to set your controller on. I know they have the rubber band option , but there should be something on your tablet or controller (C1-C2) that you can hit to send your P4 into Cruise Control ,and use same buttons to disengage it .

I don't understand why they cut the video in 4G segments.

Limitation of the filesystem with which the SD card is formatted. Other filesystem formats without this limitation do exist, but they tend to be compatible with just one or two operating systems, so chances are that either Mac or Windows users would start complaining. Dropping frames between closing one file and starting another is quite poor however, you would have thought a software buffer exists to overcome this, kind of like the buffer a top-end DSLR uses when it's removable storage can't keep up. Maybe using a faster class of SD card would help?

Inconsistent altitude ruins nearly every shot as it yoyo's up and down!
Was filming some surfers and adjusting some settings while hovering and it descended on it's own and nearly ended up in the ocean. Yoyo can be up to 10 metres!
Usually my yoyo is about 3 meters, unless there is a gimbal guard installed. Gimbal guards interfere with the P4 vps sensors (unlike P3) and the P4 craft can yoyo about 25 meters!. You should never run a gimbal guard on P4.

Usually my yoyo is about 3 meters, unless there is a gimbal guard installed. Gimbal guards interfere with the P4 vps sensors (unlike P3) and the P4 craft can yoyo about 25 meters!. You should never run a gimbal guard on P4.

My P4 is stock standard. No gimbal guard.
I can't get a continuous shot without noticing the yoyo effect in the video. My P3 is rock steady in comparison. After any stick input, no matter how small the P4 altitude is affected.
Aside from this really bad behaviour i like the P4 however it is no longer my first choice to go flying now and has been relegated to being the "backup quad".
IMU calibrated several times and still no improvement.
Starting to regret my purchase actually..... sigh.

For the ultra-long distance flyers, I'd like to see DJI or someone develop a consumer drone similar to a P4 which doesn't use radio but a satellite uplink/downlink for both the bird and controller. With battery mods, the sky is the limit. To heck with the line of sight rule!!!

My P4 is stock standard. No gimbal guard.
I can't get a continuous shot without noticing the yoyo effect in the video. My P3 is rock steady in comparison. After any stick input, no matter how small the P4 altitude is affected.
Aside from this really bad behaviour i like the P4 however it is no longer my first choice to go flying now and has been relegated to being the "backup quad".
IMU calibrated several times and still no improvement.
Starting to regret my purchase actually..... sigh.
Yep, I'm the same way. My trusty P3P is what I can depend on, so that's what I fly when it's important. I hope someday DJI will figure out the cause of the yoyo effects in my p4.

Yesterday I was flying my P3p in 25 to 30mph winds on the California coast near Santa Cruz. Kinda scary flights, but my P3 was a real trooper. It never ceases to amaze me what it tolerates and comes back safe and sound.

Reactions: Alien Warrior
Yep, I'm the same way. My trusty P3P is what I can depend on, so that's what I fly when it's important. I hope someday DJI will figure out the cause of the yoyo effects in my p4.

Yesterday I was flying my P3p in 25 to 30mph winds on the California coast near Santa Cruz. Kinda scary flights, but my P3 was a real trooper. It never ceases to amaze me what it tolerates and comes back safe and sound.

Same.... I call my P3 "the work horse".

For the ultra-long distance flyers, I'd like to see DJI or someone develop a consumer drone similar to a P4 which doesn't use radio but a satellite uplink/downlink for both the bird and controller. With battery mods, the sky is the limit. To heck with the line of sight rule!!!
The latency would be unacceptable with satellite it cellular.

The latency would be unacceptable with satellite it cellular.
Probably so, but it would be neato to see P4s loaded down with extra batteries and flying runs like the English Channel. These ideas may be P10 territory, though.

Probably so, but it would be neato to see P4s loaded down with extra batteries and flying runs like the English Channel. These ideas may be P10 territory, though.
Well the shortest part of the English Channel ( Dover Strait) is just over 20 miles, so just be on a boat and follow your quad across the channel , or is that cheating?
Thank you Wikipedia .

Reactions: ftttu
Just spent 3 weeks in Hawaii and got a couple of good sessions over Wimea and Sunset beach . . I did not notice and significant yoyo over water. It seemed pretty steady even with 4ft waves passing underneath . . just 10-20 meters offshore. I did not think to retest it's tendency to slowly sink in a hands off hover at 10ft. It was doing that pretty consistently over solid ground back in Canada.. by the way . . no issues with traveling and customs either even FAA got me a registration number and approval to fly pretty quickly. . . so may try some more great lakes freighter shots across the bridge from the Michigan side soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik