DJI Phantom Won't take off: Flashing Red under full throttle

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdKctnCbPmg

Can someone please let me know what the flashing RED led mean when full throttle is applied during takeoff? I received the Phantom (Used) as a gift. I was told it is working, but i have never gotten it to work myself. The manual says flashing red LED is "Low Voltage Alert", but i have purchased a new battery from the hobby store and I have fully charged this battery prior to flight testing.

Things I have tried:
+ I have connected to DJI Nazam and have updated firmware.
+ Completed advance calibration.
+ On the Phantom I have also completed multiple successful GPS calibrations.
+ Used fully charged battery
+ Set (S1) to GPS ATTI. Mode & set (S2) to Off. -ie..Both switches to their top most positions.
None of these have helped.
In the video you will see the Phantom has full GPS signal, but shows two green led status lights (under propeller arms) and two red led status lights under the other two propeller arms. Is the RED normal? I suspect 'no', but manual says this is directional indicator LED. Seeing anything RED is a concerning color for me.

Please also notice the front LED starts flashing red when the throttle stick is pushed upwards to max (full power). I've confirmed blades are installed properly and blades direction matches the direction indicators on the Phantom arms.

Any ideas on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.
Questions:
1) Is it possible I've installed the "shell" of the Phantom in an incorrect orientation? If I have installed incorrectly (by 90 degrees), it is possible that the blade rotation is wrong even though blades match the directional indicators on the arms? I did have to remove the shell cover when I manually resetted the controller pairing to to the Phantom.

Re: DJI Phantom Won't take off: Flashing Red under full thro

Look for simple things first. Try a different charger, in case your current one is not working correctly and not fully charging your batteries.

With the rotors running, can you feel the air being blown down through the blades? Hold it above your head and run the props and you should feel a serious amount of breeze. If not, it is possible that either the props are incorrect or someone has re-fitted the speed controllers in the wrong positions. They would all need to be wrong however, or the quad would just flip over!

It is not uncommon for the light to flash red on maximum throttle, as this is peak battery drain, but the quad should take off.

Red lights at the front are correct and your light sequences indicates the quad thinks it is happy.

Did you set the default parameters after update advanced calibration ?
It's been awhile since I've had my P1 hooked up to PC in the assistant software you have the correct bird listed & do the motor test see they are spinning correctly .

I have watched your video many times. The sound of the motors sure sounds like it has the power to lift. To me it looks like the props are turning in reverse. It's hard to tell in a video but watch at the very end as they stop. Look at the props . The leading edge is higher than the trailing edge. The higher edge is the direction of rotation. Also at the end of arm where motor is mounted is a raised symbol indicating proper rotation.

I looked at the video again a few times. The right rear prop as you have your quad sitting seems to be turning clockwise which is correct rotation but the prop looks to be for ccw rotation. The quad looks to almost press down as you spool up the motors.

It is possible that you have the top shell rotated 90 degrees. I assume this is a Phantom 1 without the self tightening props.

I don't think the top shell has anything to do with it as far as getting off the ground. The motors are mounted to bottom shell.

Monte55 said:
I don't think the top shell has anything to do with it as far as getting off the ground. The motors are mounted to bottom shell.
When you install the top shell 90 degrees off then the labeling on the arm which shows prop direction is wrong. This makes you install the props on the wrong motors and they push down instead of lifting. (Don't ask How I know this ;-) )

I also noticed he had only one set of red stripes on the quad. Could be out 90 degrees and situated motors or props that way.

Thank you everyone for the amazing replies.

I revisited the shell placement idea. It does seem that I have it incorrectly installed the top shell and, as a result, rotational markings on the shell would not match to their proper corresponding motors.
I zoomed in on the video and the 'dji' sticker looks like it is rotated 90 degrees. In other videos, the 'dji' sticker is parallel with the nose.

It's been raining so I have not been able to test. I'll report back my findings ASAP.

syotr said:
It is possible that you have the top shell rotated 90 degrees. I assume this is a Phantom 1 without the self tightening props.

Yes. This is the Phantom 1 without self tightening props.

In the assistant software you can test each motor for proper rotation.

I was able to test the Phantom.

The problem was indeed a rotated shell.
Once I rotated the shell, the Phantom took off with no problems.

Thanks everyone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic