DJI Phantom Vision 2 (Questions)

Reaction score
Hello. I'm the proud owner of a DJI Phantom Vision 2. I purchased this because I'm a reality TV producer / director and wanted to be able to get some cool shots. So far I've gotten some pretty awesome stuff just flying high above my neighborhood but I've had to use image stabilization software in my editing system to give it the smooth look I'm after. I just purchased the vision gimbal from the Netherlands which should show up in a couple weeks. I was hoping someone could clear up a few things for me...

1. Firmware Updates - I've plugged the USB into the Phantom Vision 2, and I've done the latest firmware update in addition to calibrating my transmitter which is recommended after. Is there a firmware update that I'm required to do for the transmitter? I don't see any USB plug on the transmitter so I'm just making sure. The wifi extender has a usb plug but I haven't read anything about firmware for that.

2. DJI App for Iphone 5S running iOS7. This latest update is not allowing me to see the battery percentage left on my Phantom Vision. It's almost as if it's covered up by the iOS7 battery percentage indicator. I've quit the app, re-downloaded it and nothing!

3. If the Gimbal from Holland doesn't give me the broadcast quality smoothness I'm looking for, Can I mount the DJI H3-2D gimbal with a Go Pro 3 on the Phantom Vision 2 and just get rid of the Vision camera or do I have to by the Non Vision Phantom 2? Will I retain the wifi and tilt control?

4. Way point. Do I have to buy the blue tooth data thing that I've read about for the Phantom Vision 2 or is this going to work when they release a waypoint app. Will the Phantom Vision 2 be able to fly beyond transmitter range if waypoints are set or will it failsafe and come home?

Those are my questions! Hopefully one of you knows all the answers!

thanks!

Sean

nashvillephantom said:
1. Firmware Updates - I've plugged the USB into the Phantom Vision 2, and I've done the latest firmware update in addition to calibrating my transmitter which is recommended after. Is there a firmware update that I'm required to do for the transmitter? I don't see any USB plug on the transmitter so I'm just making sure. The wifi extender has a usb plug but I haven't read anything about firmware for that.

You have an older controller. You will need to open up the back of the controller and there is a small USB port inside. Newer ones have them on the bottom.

nashvillephantom said:
2. DJI App for Iphone 5S running iOS7. This latest update is not allowing me to see the battery percentage left on my Phantom Vision. It's almost as if it's covered up by the iOS7 battery percentage indicator. I've quit the app, re-downloaded it and nothing!

Same here. I'm sure there will be an update to fix this rather quickly as it affects everyone.

nashvillephantom said:
3. If the Gimbal from Holland doesn't give me the broadcast quality smoothness I'm looking for, Can I mount the DJI H3-2D gimbal with a Go Pro 3 on the Phantom Vision 2 and just get rid of the Vision camera or do I have to by the Non Vision Phantom 2? Will I retain the wifi and tilt control?

There are some third party manufacturers that are just now starting to make gimbals for the Vision Camera. If you take off the Vision camera you will need to find solutions for shooting video as well as FPV (First Person Video) because those are built into the Vision camera.

nashvillephantom said:
4. Way point. Do I have to buy the blue tooth data thing that I've read about for the Phantom Vision 2 or is this going to work when they release a waypoint app. Will the Phantom Vision 2 be able to fly beyond transmitter range if waypoints are set or will it failsafe and come home?

DJI will be updating the app to include waypoints in the near future. They said that no additional hardware will be needed. I'm sure it won't be as full featured as the iPad app with the Bluetooth add-on but it might suffice for basic waypoint flying.

Thanks for your answers! Since i have the older transmitter do I still need to do the firmware update or will it work with the update I just did to the latest firmware on the Phantom Vision 2?

nashvillephantom said:
Thanks for your answers! Since i have the older transmitter do I still need to do the firmware update or will it work with the update I just did to the latest firmware on the Phantom Vision 2?

I tried it the other day and it didn't find an update either.

nashvillephantom said:
Hello. I'm the proud owner of a DJI Phantom Vision 2. I purchased this because I'm a reality TV producer / director and wanted to be able to get some cool shots. So far I've gotten some pretty awesome stuff just flying high above my neighborhood but I've had to use image stabilization software in my editing system to give it the smooth look I'm after. I just purchased the vision gimbal from the Netherlands which should show up in a couple weeks. I was hoping someone could clear up a few things for me...

Those are my questions! Hopefully one of you knows all the answers!

thanks!

Sean

Sean, I can offer some advice on a couple of your questions:

- I have also ordered the DroneXpert gimbal, it should significantly reduce vibration and angled horizons....and AE's warp stabilizer should be able to smooth out any remaining shudder.

- There is suppose to be a waypoint feature coming, but I can't imagine it helping since you will still be bound by your control and FPV signal limits, which in the case of the PV is around 300 m. The IOC course lock and ATTI modes will be helpful in creating dolly and tracking shots.

- The PV footage (with some magic in post) can work for documentary/reality TV, but is somewhat limited by its smallish lens/sensor. We are exploring some larger birds that will carry something like the black magic or sony nex7 for higher end stuff.

If you ever need shots in Chicagoland, let me know, as we are doing some things along these lines as well, would love to collaborate. Dave

Regarding "old" and "new" transmitters, has anyone actually seen a "new" one yet. I have not, at least for the P2V...

Phantasmic said:
Sledge said:
- The PV footage (with some magic in post) can work for documentary/reality TV, but is somewhat limited by its smallish lens/sensor.

Not to mention the incredibly compressed video at a mere 11 mbps vs. 40+ from GoPro (with manual control over WB, sharpening and noise reduction)

Sledge said:
We are exploring some larger birds that will carry something like the black magic or sony nex7 for higher end stuff.

Flying a BMPCC with good glass with a real gimbal would be really cool. The Turbo Ace folks claim to have a working gimbal for their platform.

You'd be surprised what we get away with in the reality tv world. I've literally shot entire scenes of television on my iPhone. Now if I was on one of those huge budget shows like The Bachelor or The Voice, I'd probably be shot for using 11mbps.

Those slutty Housewives would probably look better on an iPhone, an HD camera is no friend to some of them!

Please don't abuse your Phantom by filming these awful people.... Unless you are going to mow them down with it - that would be good TV!

Well reading your post from Sunday saying that you ordered the Gimbal that was a pretty quick delivery as I see it arrived today as you posted on a different thread.

"Re: Anybody ordered de Dronexpert Vision Gimbal?
by nashvillephantom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Got my gimbal for the vision camera today from the Netherlands. Just posted a full review for everyone including video of installation and of it working!"

Top tip for you - get dressed, say goodbye to Mummy and go outside and play and leave the adults alone.

Once again another Troll blocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues