DJI Phantom used for news footage

Reaction score
So we had major flooding this morning. I took the Phantom out to see what I could capture. Turned out one of the local news stations wanted the footage and an interview. I called it a helicopter so I didn't have to get into the whole "drone" issue.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXmK-1UPf4[/youtube]

Belowe is a link to the actual story.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/87879 ... orthfield/

I hope you got some money for this. If not you should always ask for a fee which can be what ever they are willing to pay but that being said most will pay a flat fee starting at around 75 dollars. BUT, if you don't ask you won't get anything which makes news directors very happy.
I worked in a TV news room for several decades and almost every amateur videographer was just happy to see their videos on the air...that's crazy and unprofessional...you must offer your video at some kind of cost since there is competition within the TV market to get the most interesting videos to air. Be "professional" in your approach but not over the top.

foosiemac said:
I hope you got some money for this. If not you should always ask for a fee which can be what ever they are willing to pay but that being said most will pay a flat fee starting at around 75 dollars. BUT, if you don't ask you won't get anything which makes news directors very happy.
I worked in a TV news room for several decades and almost every amateur videographer was just happy to see their videos on the air...that's crazy and unprofessional...you must offer your video at some kind of cost since there is competition within the TV market to get the most interesting videos to air. Be "professional" in your approach but not over the top.

foosiemac,
I will give you the fact thatfootage like this is worth something to the TV stations. However, I work with the media in my regular job and was doing this on my own time. I have to be very careful when it comes to working with the local media and if that means throwing them a bone from time to time, so be it. Good advice for anyone who does capture anything that news stations can use. It can never hurt to ask...

As a result of this footage, I was contacted by another producer who wants to do a positive story on the use of drones by recreational flyers. We talked for 30 minutes and she will be shooting with me next week. It will be nice to get some good media attention.

Very nice. It's good that some positive exposure came out of this.

brian60093 said:
As a result of this footage, I was contacted by another producer who wants to do a positive story on the use of drones by recreational flyers. We talked for 30 minutes and she will be shooting with me next week. It will be nice to get some good media attention.

That's great.....just don't mention our little problem with the "Runaway Phantoms". Hmmmmmmm, wait a minute, that could draw the interest of the DJI man himself to provide an explanation or possible solution for his current customers.

Great footage. I shot the news for Global TV in Montreal so I can appreciate the footage. What gimbal is on your Phantom?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj