DJI Phantom Restoration

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want to get some good advice on the internal restoration of a Phantom. I've attached a few photos of some of the internal components. The guy that sold it to us took out some key items after advertising that they were in it including the proper Flight Control System, Compass and GPS.

Any affordable places to replace internal parts?

Attachments

• 20130625_202959.jpg
    20130625_202959.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 830
  • 20130625_203017.jpg
    20130625_203017.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 853
cdnphantom said:
Hey guys,

Just want to get some good advice on the internal restoration of a Phantom. I've attached a few photos of some of the internal components. The guy that sold it to us took out some key items after advertising that they were in it including the proper Flight Control System, Compass and GPS.

Any affordable places to replace internal parts?

What on earth is going on there???

if I didn't know better, I'd say you were scammed,. looks like someone took the NAZA and GPS out of a Phantom and stuck other stuff in there.
hope you didn't may much for it.

Agreed! That definitely is not the internals of a Phantom. You can search on line to find them but it would be much less a headache to buy a brand new unit from a reputable distributor.

Wow :shock:
That is just incredible. What you have is pretty much worthless. Nothing inside is from a DJI Phantom. It really is a shame. And that Gaui controller isn't even pointing the right direction.

Whoever sold that to you, definitely did you wrong.

If you bought it as a proper Phantom you have been ripped off sorry to say, a new Phantom shell is about $80 and thats about all you got but in poor second hand condition, with some other random stuff that someone just threw in.

Way to kick a guy when he's down ;-)

If it helps you can buy all the parts you need on any quadcopter supplier site as most have whole sections on DJI Phantom spare parts. Certainly in the UK the likes of quadcopters.co.uk, buzzflyer.co.uk and heliguy.com all have spare parts.

You'll have to do the maths though as it'll probably work out cheaper to buy new.

Good luck.

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for the replies. My friend actually bought it from this guy on Craigslist but traded a Smartphone. Now had everything that had been included that was advertised including stock parts then it would have been worth it but he got scammed. He was going to sell it all to me for 250 and figured I'd probably have to drop about 350 into it for a complete return to stock if I bought it from him.

The IMU and GPS alone would set you back about $380. Throw in about $50 for ESC and another $300 for a TX / RX combo. You can buy the stock TX but don't know if you can get the RX anywhere. Basically it would be better for you to get a brand new RTF unit.

EDIT: oh and I forgot you also need to buy the main circuit board that costs $60.

Hey guys,

I guess I should be clear as far as what I actually have here. The whole phantom is pretty much there except someone sort of ripped off the parts on the inside. I have the Receiver, Charger, Stock Battery, Motors and Props (Stock) and the box. I've even found a place to get the GPS and Compass for like $114. Can someone please send me a good photo of what the inside of a stock phantom should look like?

Also where does the GPS and Compass plug into? The Naza?

Attachments

• 3I13M13N65I15K15Fad6i55731c0ba6411352.jpg
    3I13M13N65I15K15Fad6i55731c0ba6411352.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 748
cdnphantom said:
From what I understand the only things missing are the GPS, Compass and that the Naza is missing and replaced with the other FCS. If I buy this Naza unit below should it get the Phantom flying providing that everything else required to do so is there?

From what I understand the only things NOT missing are... is the shell. ;-) Sorry I had to!

I have the feeling that this post is actually a joke. If, it isn't then listen to the other wise ones on this board and buy a new one. Cheaper and more reliable than a "Franken-thom".
Take everything apart on this one and just list all parts separate on eBay, between the shell and other parts, you might be able to get a few bucks back and use that toward a real Phantom.

I actually meant to say that I the Transmitter not Receiver. This post is not a joke. I wouldn't randomly find a board to write BS on and waste mine and everyone's time.

It's not really a Frankenstein job if everything is restored back to stock. This quadcopter costs 800 brand new and if I buy it for 200 and then spend 100 on the Naza FCS and 114 on the Compass and GPS then what do I have to lose?

Did you bother to watch the video I linked(have to watch advertisement) then it show a clone phantom being built, that will give you an idea of what needs to be done.

Can you post picture of the motors, then give them a spin, if they aren't the correct ones or rough feeling you'll need to replace those too.

Can you take a full picture showing everything you have? If the parts you have arent in perfect working order then anything you put into it may well be damaged on your first test flight if it crashes. Its a bit of a risk flying a frankendrone around people or any property as your liable to any damage you cause and so I wouodnt risk flying something I am so unsure about.

cdnphantom said:
I actually meant to say that I the Transmitter not Receiver. This post is not a joke. I wouldn't randomly find a board to write BS on and waste mine and everyone's time.

It's not really a Frankenstein job if everything is restored back to stock. This quadcopter costs 800 brand new and if I buy it for 200 and then spend 100 on the Naza FCS and 114 on the Compass and GPS then what do I have to lose?

Actually to some extent it is a joke, it will cost you more to get this up an running than buying a new one. BTW the Phantom sells for $679

You still need to buy a main board, receiver, ESC's, misc. cables, battery charger. Does it have the landing gear with the Phantom compass, is the LED indicator assembly still there? How do you know if the battery is still good?

So basically you plan to buy a used housing for a Phantom with the wrong electronics, for $200 and think your going to spend another few hundred to get it flying? You can buy a brand new housing for $80 and do the same thing, $18 each for ESC's $24 each for motors all new and your already ahead.

Please post progress on the build with the running total for parts, I'd like to see this thing fly again.

This quadcopter costs 800 brand new and if I buy it for 200 and then spend 100 on the Naza FCS and 114 on the Compass and GPS then what do I have to lose?

The DJI Phantom is available at most locations for $679.00 From reading your recent posts, it seems as if you have access to
the parts, and are ready to take on this challenge.

First, pull EVERYTHING out of the Phantom shell, and do the following.
(Note) The Front of the Phantom is where the battery door is. Top shell front has two grooves that match bottom shell.

1. Install Phantom LED/Versatile unit with round plastic diffuser lens. (side opposite battery door)
2. Install Main board, which has power distribution solder points for the ESC'S
3. Install Naza controller in center of distribution board.(Important to have it with M1-M6,F1,F2 facing battery door)
4. Install stock Phantom ESC's, with plastic diffuser lens's, 2qty green for rear, 2qty red for front.
5. Solder the ESC's to the Main board, and run ESC controller wires to Naza. right front to M1, left front to M2, left rear to
M3, right rear to M4.
6. Plug the LED/ VU to the Naza horizontally where it says LED, and run the grey usb connection to front.(zip tie to main
board, and put the end into the battery compartment.
7. Install motors, and solder them to the ESC's. (Don't worry about which wire goes where, if you power it up and the
motor spins the wrong direction, just switch any two wires, and it will change rotation.
8. Install the compass to right rear leg, that cable plugs into the GPS board.
9. Install GPS in upper shell, (it MUST be installed facing the correct direction).(maybe someone will have a picture)
It is also important to have the grey foam RFI shielding gasket covering the gps.
10. Install whatever receiver you want. (If DJI receiver, connect control wire to S-bus port, on Naza.
You must "bind" the receiver to the transmitter by 1 turn on radio, 2 connect battery to Phantom, 3 push the little
button on the receiver.
11. Install the DJI Phantom drivers, and Naza Assistant on your computer, connect the GPS to the Naza. (you will have to
put the top shell in place temporarily. Program the Phantom in Naza Assistant software.
12. Start the motors, WITHOUT PROPS, using the method in the user manual. (Found on DJI website) check motor
rotation direction. (look on top shell, near motor openings, for directional arrows) change any two wires from motor
to ESC on motors spinning wrong direction.

Install top shell, with screws, and enjoy your Phantom.

Did you bother to watch the video I linked(have to watch advertisement) then it show a clone phantom being built, that will give you an idea of what needs to be done.

That was pretty cool. It was actually very well built. I would be interested to find out what led's he used, since he obviously
didn't use DJI ESC's.

It looked like it flew well too.

cdnphantom said:

It's just that from the pictures, it looks like you'd have to buy more than just a Naza and GPS. The Naza/GPS alone will cost about $400 if I am not mistaking, so your budget is already at $600. Brand new phantom can be found for $679 on amazon.

What do you have to lose is actually time, money and maybe more. The phantom is a system that works nicely because all elements are meant to work well together. Think of it as the "Mac" of Quadcopters. Limited with customizations, but all parts are supposed to work harmoniously together. Try to substitute a part in this synergistic system and you may end up with a very unstable system.

I am not saying that it cannot be done or should not, but it seems that given the platform (Phantom), the acquisition cost ($200), the required investment ($400+ & time), the guarantee (None that it will work properly), it would just make more sense to try to recover as much as possible of the $200 by selling individual parts and then buy a brand new Phantom.

Perhaps I'm getting philosophical in my old age, but this project may not be such a bad thing.

It may or may, or may not, be cheaper to buy a new one, but building it himself, will be a much more rewarding experience.
How better to learn of the workings, and gain knowledge ?

I think this project is definitely worth getting on board.

By the way, I don't think I would sell the Gaui controller, and Turnigy ESC's, as you may want to use them for a future project.

cdnphantom said:

If you're going to take the time to build a copter, skip putting it all in a Phantom and get a f450 frame instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers