Dji Phantom or Dji F550?

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and very exited about getting my new toy. I consider to spend under $1,000 for a decent setup. My two choices unless someone suggested otherwise are the Phantom and the F550 w/ naza-m v2 (not sure what receiver/transmitter). I have never used a drone before but I'm fairly comfortable with soldering or any DYI kits. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. :D

Well it depends pretty much on how do plan you to use it. The F550 will carry much heavier gear, for example if you already have a DSLR, then the F550 may be a wiser choice. However, if this is your very first quad then the Phantom will get you up in the air a lot faster and there will be plenty of accessories to be added on later. Building the F550 for the first time may be a little too much in term of setting up and understanding the flying details. Phantom is ready to fly in a sense but building the F550 will take some skill. In fact, many bought a palm sized RTF quad just to learn how to fly before getting into the this which is not a bad idea. Many things can go wrong for the first time F550 builder, especially if you are not familiar with programming the transmitter. If you fly rc helicopter or airplane before, the transition will be a lot easier. BTW, the $1000 budget may not be enough for the full geared F550 with respectable quality.

Look like you're set to go for aerial photography.
How about FPV?
You should get a prop balancer too.
The ND filter for the GoPro?

Wise words from tanasit. I have both phantom and 550 and they are for different purposes. The 550 is not a novice build, especially the transmitter setup, and you will have more fun with the Phantom as it is very tough and will survive the occasional crash with no more than a few grass stains. Get a gopro and a gimbal, the tarot from foxtechfpv.com is a very neat brushless gimbal and is great value for money. A fatshark fpv system will give you some exhilarating experiences, its like being inside the phantom looking out as you fly it, totally awesome experience. Good luck and happy flying. One last thing, please refer to your Phantom as either a quadcopter, uav or uas or anything other than "drone". Drones are the bad kind of uav's that spy on people and somtimes shoot them, and people love to overreact if you tell them you have a drone.

Thank you both for the advise. I definitely appreciate the price difference between the tarot and the dji one. I defenitely want fpv but figured it would be easier learning without one, thoughts? I'm definitely getting an ND. Suggestion on what prop balancer to get? howard you had me cracking up with the "drone" comment, thought about Bradley Manning for a second, I mean Chealsea Manning :shock:

Is this the link to the gimbal?
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/gopro-twoaxis ... -1096.html

Thanks again!

I have a Phantom and an F550.
I'm very glad I bought and flew the Phantom before I built the F550 as I'm much more familiar with how it "should" fly and so can set the F550 properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair