DJI Phantom Newbie Needs Help!!!

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I've got a few questions that I'd really like answers to please by all the pro's on this site and I'm sorry if they sound stupid or obvious!

The first question is this.....

Am I right in thinking that it will ascend at 6 metres a second? Does this apply in GPS mode, ATTI or just manual? I've sent it up a few times really high in GPS mode but have still had the link up with FPV to the camera so even though it's just a small dot in the sky then according to the FPV range it can't have been more than 100 metres? I timed it to 20 seconds whilst holding the left stick all the way up which would put it at 120 metres approx if the 6 metres per second thing is correct but I could still see the live footage? My transmitter beeps twice when I switch it on which according to the manual says that the range is 500 metres so in theory could I time it to approx 1 minute 20 seconds and still have control of the quadcopter to bring it back down safely?

The second is if I program & set the S1 switch to manual mode will it behave like the Hubsan X4 H107 did in flight as I learnt the basics with a second hand one of these. I've also heard though that it's not recommended to select the manual setting?

The third question is can you fly these through a wood? The tree's are not too thick, prob about 1/2 metre wide but I want to try & fly FPV weaving slowly in & out & getting some great angles & footage for my GF as she love walking there but am not too sure about loosing the signal.

The last question (for now!) is failsafe really reliable? I know that if it's below 20 metres in height then it will go up to 20 metres & fly back home but say for example you're flying at 100 metre's due to high tree's near to the take off point. Will it maintain the 100 metre altitude & fly back then hover at 100 metre's above the take off point before landing or will it descend to 20 metre's & then return home from that height? Ps, I always wait for a full GPS lock before I take off.
There will probably be loads more questions as I progress and get more experienced/confident in flying it!

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

P.s The FC40 is totally stock & I've checked for software updates& I'm on the latest one. I've also done the compass calibration.

dirkclod said:
My first one was a FC40 and it's been awhile since I had it . As far as #3 If you get behind a tree its going to go into failsafe and go up to your set RTH height if it doesn't hit a limb doing so . and yes failsafe works great. If you are 100 meter's when you go into failsafe that's what it will come back at and then land unless you take it back .

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. It's a bit worrying about the failsafe bit though! I mean does it lose it's signal as easy as that?!!! The RTH answer is what I was hoping for, that gives me loads more confidence :) There's a few tall trees near to my take off point so that was a big concern that you've sorted. Cheers mate, Ben.

porg78 said:
dirkclod said:
My first one was a FC40 and it's been awhile since I had it . As far as #3 If you get behind a tree its going to go into failsafe and go up to your set RTH height if it doesn't hit a limb doing so . and yes failsafe works great. If you are 100 meter's when you go into failsafe that's what it will come back at and then land unless you take it back .

Brilliant, thanks for the reply. It's a bit worrying about the failsafe bit though! I mean does it lose it's signal as easy as that?!!! The RTH answer is what I was hoping for, that gives me loads more confidence :) There's a few tall trees near to my take off point so that was a big concern that you've sorted. Cheers mate, Ben.

Cool! I'll try that & see what happens!

porg78 said:
I've sent it up a few times really high in GPS mode ... according to the manual says that the range is 500 metres so in theory could I time it to approx 1 minute 20 seconds and still have control of the quadcopter to bring it back down safely?
Straight up is the trickiest angle for your Phantom to get a good signal. It will work better out and up rather than just up. Before you start making like a rocket though, you should understand aviation safety issues and how that affects you as a Phantom pilot. You should also understand that the Phantom descends much slower than it goes up. You don't want to run out of battery coming home.

porg78 said:
The second is if I program & set the S1 switch to manual mode will it behave like the Hubsan X4 H107 did in flight as I learnt the basics with a second hand one of these. I've also heard though that it's not recommended to select the manual setting?
Manual mode is a good way to crash your Phantom very quickly. Definitely not recommended.

porg78 said:
The third question is can you fly these through a wood? ... but am not too sure about loosing the signal.
You will probably lose GPS under the tree canopy so you would have to be able to fly atti (without GPS) Practice a lot out in the open before trying in trees. You will also lose radio signal if trees. branches etc get between you and the Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj