DJI Phantom II on CRUISE SHIPS ?

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience in flying Phantom I +II on CRUISE SHIPS, respectively while flying during a cruise on high sea (wind, antennas of ship)?

Reason why I ask:
CALIBRATION of compass/GPS might be a problem due to METAL surface of the ship, but some ships have WOOD decks (and may be directly below is metal). How does it affect flying if metal is not directly below copter but covered by the wood panels? Or is the complete metal ship itself the problem???

"Fly Aways": GPS does not work properly over metal and as the ship is moving "Fail Safe Mode" is not possible, or we have fish video...
However, manual flight in "Atti" mode should be possible? Or is it still a risk to fly (also wind)?

Depending ship antennas I heard that they might NOT interfere and NOT affect the copter/rc (2,8Gz + 5,8Ghz) as they beep on completely other frequencies. What about better rc controller like Graupner T8J with FREQUENCY HOPPING (instead the DJI controller) to make sure interferences (if so) can be at least reduced?? WIFI BLUETOOTH during cruise are usualy not working well, so people have phones mostly off, unless near shore.

What is to consider?
Professional solutions? Any instructions available? What copter would be ideal?

I have Phantom II with Gopro 3+ and 3D gimbal.

marky said:
Does anybody have experience in flying Phantom I +II on CRUISE SHIPS, respectively while flying during a cruise on high sea (wind, antennas of ship)?

Reason why I ask:
CALIBRATION of compass/GPS might be a problem due to METAL surface of the ship, but some ships have WOOD decks (and may be directly below is metal). How does it affect flying if metal is not directly below copter but covered by the wood panels? Or is the complete metal ship itself the problem???

"Fly Aways": GPS does not work properly over metal and as the ship is moving "Fail Safe Mode" is not possible, or we have fish video...
However, manual flight in "Atti" mode should be possible? Or is it still a risk to fly (also wind)?

Depending ship antennas I heard that they might NOT interfere and NOT affect the copter/rc (2,8Gz + 5,8Ghz) as they beep on completely other frequencies. What about better rc controller like Graupner T8J with FREQUENCY HOPPING (instead the DJI controller) to make sure interferences (if so) can be at least reduced?? WIFI BLUETOOTH during cruise are usualy not working well, so people have phones mostly off, unless near shore.

What is to consider?
Professional solutions? Any instructions available? What copter would be ideal?

I have Phantom II with Gopro 3+ and 3D gimbal.

No one here will recommend you flying off a moving cruise ship for obvious reasons. You will not have a RTH point if the ship is moving. There may not be a written law about it but If I was a captain of a ship and had no idea what that thing that was hovering around my ship, I would call the coast guard. But if you do get the caps permission, more power to you.

My suggestions, wait until you get to port and fly it at your ports of call.

Any reason why you had to fly it during high winds, high seas? Sounds like you have science experiment.

Thanks for feedback , I appreciate! I agree with you filmng when at port as best alternative, of course this is also planned.
DURING the cruise filming would of course only be done with permission and not when high winds come up - we´d never risk anything. I have good contacts to cruise lines as i am in touristic industry, nevertheless, it has to be prepared and proposed well to fly on (over! not beside!) the ship while cruising (or better WITH the ship as its moving) as we want to do a film/advertising project with guests on board in cooperation with the cruiseline.
However, beside the alternatives filming in the ports, I am in generally interested in technical facts & tech solutions, ON the ship (no matter if we film at last or not).

Be sure and get written permission. I had friends that tried to take a Phantom aboard and it was promptly confiscated. He could not even get it back to use while stopped at foreign ports.

fastsmiles said:
Be sure and get written permission. I had friends that tried to take a Phantom aboard and it was promptly confiscated. He could not even get it back to use while stopped at foreign ports.

Do you know what cruise line that was?

I have got written permission by MSC CRUISES for MSC MUSICA, that I can take the copter, as long as I guarantee not to use it on board but only while ashore.

I'm going on a cruise next yr.. Ship will cruise from San Fran to Alaska and Canada.
I'm from Aus.. so obviously flying to San Fran first..
anyways... do they actually check what you have in your luggage ? You mentioned they confiscated it ? Did your friend have it in clear sight ? or mention he had it or something ?

I don't plan to bring it, or carry a kilo of coke (this time!! :p... j/k) or have anything to hide, but yeah just wondering if they go through your bags or something ? Seems kinda bizzare if they do lol... ?

Hmm thinking about this actually... getting some shots of Alaska would be amazing!! But yeah... I suppose I could get one of those fancy cases for it and take it as hand luggage on the plane... hmmmmm still 9 months away till the trip.. Perhaps I'll have a bit of a think... all though with my current track record of hobbies I'll either have the S1000 (or whatever the $10k version is heh) or be totally disinterested and moved onto the next toy.

I recently took my PV2+ on the P&O Azura, only flew it in port and had no problems keeping it with me, went through security many times with no issue, in Malaga had a good conversation with the security man over how good they are

Also... Do not forget. Big cruise ships can go fast, and that you will need to keep up with them!
So not much time for just hovering!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj