DJI Phantom Flight GS/FollowMe

Reaction score
Note: I've only uses the Android version of this app.

Right now this is my "go to" aftermarket app to fly the Vision Plus. I've used 3 others and would (right now) rank this one above the others in design and function. The initial screen set up is different in that it opens to the boost screen. It's here, rather then an option in flight mode. It's still a clean interface and it works.

You then use the 3 dot's in the upper right (usually reserved for settings) to select how you want to fly. The main choice will be Camera FPV. From this mode you can use free flight, Ground Station and Follow Me (think... Follow Me is an off shoot of Ground Station). A nice feature is that the user can slide the right map/location screen and left camera view in order to size them to any percentage of the screen. Just press on the left pane and slide your finger to change the size of the screens. Something that makes this app shine above the rest is the way Brad has set up Ground Station (GS). Let go back a little... there is a glitch in the current SDK release from DJI that does not allow the camera to be turned on and off in GS mode. It's a _real_ pain. In other apps you need to go into settings and turn video on/off from take off. Its an all or nothing setting that applies to all flight modes. In Phantom Flight there is a button on the map/location screen (GS) that you can simply turn on/off whenever you want. Turn it off an you are in free flight and can take pictures and video. You can turn video on while flying in this mode and then press GS and fly your GS waypoints. Once the Vision returns just take control of it, press the GS button and turn off the video.

Follow me works in the same way as its really a function of GS. Turn on video while in free flight mode, press GS and then press play without setting up waypoints. You are now in Follow me mode and recording. To turn it off, just take control of the Vision, press the GS button and turn off the recording. Right now, I think this is the best way to work around the SDK glitch. This app makes it very simple and easy.

I mentioned in another post that I could not get another app to go back into GPS mode from Follow Me (that may have been corrected). With this app, I've not had any issues. It pops right out of Follow Me and back into GPS mode.

I've also used the GS/waypoint mode in this app and found no issues.

Below is a quick demo I made of Follow Me mode from my phone.

Note: I've since found out that you can tap that message on the screen and it will go away.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.beyondthecube.DjiVision&hl=en

Last edited:
Is there one for Iphone? I am currently using DJI ultimate flight on my Androlid tablet but would like another option that has GS for my iPhone. I love it and it seems to work as it should although I have not used follow me. I really like the split screen of camera and Google Earth.

I just bought it on iPhone. How do you set it up GS? I was able to cache map and get the camera feed working but couldnt see how to set flight plan. I closed the app and then got back on and couldnt get camera feed again. I tried several times.

Last edited:
I just bought it on iPhone. How do you set it up GS? I was able to cache map and get the camera feed working but couldnt see how to set flight plan. I closed the app and then got back on and couldnt get camera feed again. I tried several times.

I've not used the iPhone version but it appears to operate in the same way. Here are the instructions from the developers website:

1. Warning: before using ground station you should know how to exit a flight plan using only your controller, toggle the flight mode switch (upper right)
  2. From the FPV view click the GS button in the top right corner.
  3. Tap the map to drop new flight point markers
  4. Adjust the altitude after dropping a marker. The next marker added will reuse the current altitude.
  5. Drag markers to adjust position.
  6. Click a marker to view its details.
  7. While viewing a marker's details click next to cycle through all markers.
  8. Click the trash can to delete the flight plan.
  9. Close the app and restart, the last flight plan has been saved.
  10. Click the play button, click yes to the confirm dialog to start the flight.
  11. Click pause to stop the flight plan, click continue to restart.
  12. Flight plans to not include a home leg by default.
  13. Click home and the confirm dialog to trigger go home mode. Warning: The go home feature will cause the drone to fly back using the configured go home altitude.

Are there distance limits in ground station with this app, or is it unlimited like Ultimate Flight?

I took a look at the GS demo and would recommend that users set the last waypoint near the controllers location. Right now, the Vision will fly to the last waypoint and then ask if the user wants it to return home. This seems a little "iffy" if the drone is very far away. It relies on sending and receiving that RTH command from the WiFi extender. I think it's better to have the Vision return close to it's home position via waypoint. The user can than either take control of the Vision via switching to Atti/GPS mode or reply to the RTH question with the Vision close to them.

So set that last waypoint back near your home position. I think its less risky.

I've not used the iPhone version but it appears to operate in the same way. Here are the instructions from the developers website:

1. Warning: before using ground station you should know how to exit a flight plan using only your controller, toggle the flight mode switch (upper right)
  2. From the FPV view click the GS button in the top right corner.
  3. Tap the map to drop new flight point markers
  4. Adjust the altitude after dropping a marker. The next marker added will reuse the current altitude.
  5. Drag markers to adjust position.
  6. Click a marker to view its details.
  7. While viewing a marker's details click next to cycle through all markers.
  8. Click the trash can to delete the flight plan.
  9. Close the app and restart, the last flight plan has been saved.
  10. Click the play button, click yes to the confirm dialog to start the flight.
  11. Click pause to stop the flight plan, click continue to restart.
  12. Flight plans to not include a home leg by default.
  13. Click home and the confirm dialog to trigger go home mode. Warning: The go home feature will cause the drone to fly back using the configured go home altitude.
hmm, I didnt see a GS button at all.

I took a look at the GS demo and would recommend that users set the last waypoint near the controllers location. Right now, the Vision will fly to the last waypoint and then ask if the user wants it to return home. This seems a little "iffy" if the drone is very far away. It relies on sending and receiving that RTH command from the WiFi extender. I think it's better to have the Vision return close to it's home position via waypoint. The user can than either take control of the Vision via switching to Atti/GPS mode or reply to the RTH question with the Vision close to them.

So set that last waypoint back near your home position. I think its less risky.

Thanks for that information. I flew my very first GS mission a couple of days ago, leaving the last waypoint quite some distance away, far enough away to break WiFi connection. When I sent the RTH command and it didn't respond, I started to get worried. As you suggest above, I regained control by switching to Atti/GPS mode and all was well.

The fact is, I hadn't appreciated RTH was sent via the WiFi extender, I thought it was sent via the TX. That explains a lot and is a very useful piece of information. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for that information. I flew my very first GS mission a couple of days ago, leaving the last waypoint quite some distance away, far enough away to break WiFi connection. When I sent the RTH command and it didn't respond, I started to get worried. As you suggest above, I regained control by switching to Atti/GPS mode and all was well.

The fact is, I hadn't appreciated RTH was sent via the WiFi extender, I thought it was sent via the TX. That explains a lot and is a very useful piece of information. Thanks a lot.

Wow, I had a GS flight that lost WiFi. Glad I didn't hit RTH then. Thanks for the input!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj