DJI Phantom FC40 Forum

Just got my FC40 three days ago. I have flown it every day since. I couldn't be happier. I like the fact I don't have to use my GoPro but still have that option once I get comfortable with it. I am still being very cautious with it. I got a package that came with the stock battery plus a 2700 mAh. I ordered two additional batteries but between the two that came with it I have had plenty of flight time while I am learning. I also ordered some 9" carbon fiber blades.

Here is one observation...I hit the ground kind of hard today and the door holding the camera popped open and the camera fell out. Luckily it was 15 feet from me and I could easily find the camera....but if it happened further from me it may have been harder to find or if it hits a tree or branch it could easily fall out. I figured a way to use small zip ties to help hold it closed during flight then just clip them off when I am done flying.

Here is a picture we took over the top of my house this evening...

2zqd8g1.jpg

Hi Guys
I have my new FC 40 but there is not much info on the DJI web site and i have not found any you tube videos on setting it up, which version of rc assistant do i download for this quad any help with setting it up is greatly appreciated.

Dennis

anyone else have a problem with connecting their camera via wifi, my android phone see's the camera but won't connect.

Dennis

jamerd said:
anyone else have a problem with connecting their camera via wifi, my android phone see's the camera but won't connect.

Dennis

I can't connect to mine either. I've tried on an iphone 5 running ios7, and on an ipad running ios 7. What are you running?
More specifically, it sees and connects to the camera in the wifi settings , and registers that in the app, but then when you tap the displayed name, the same window pops up "please go to the wifi settings and choose the camera".

I haven't tested it on ios6 since apple doesn't "do" downgrades, at least not without a fight. Could some people who haven't had a problem post what device and operating system they are using, as well as app name and version?

Thanks!

well i finely got mine working it 's great you have to get used to flying the quad looking at the screen i am used to flying by looking directly at the quad.
Anyway i will try and explain what i did to get the camera to connect via the wifi, first turn on the camera let it warm up until there are no blinking lights they are on steady next turn on the phone go to wireless networks then go to wifi setting's set up & manage wireless access points there you will see the camera ip address tap it let it connect after this go out back to setting's select the app boot it up in the center of the screen there will appear a bar with the camera name if the device connected to the camera it will have a check mark in the bar along side the camera tap on this and it will open the camera screen showing what the camera is looking at good luck i hope i have explained this is a way you can understand if not let me know and i will try and walk you through it again i had to hack my way through it as i could get hold of DJI support either by phone or email not good.

Dennis

Dennis,
That is exactly what I did, as I explained in my post, except when clicking the camera name in the app, it responds as if I was connected to another wifi channel (i.e. it does not recognize that I have selected the correct wifi network).

So my questions for you are:
1)What phone are you using?
2)What operating system are you using?
3) What version is the app on your phone?

Thanks, Chris

I am using the casio comando
i am using android operating system i see that there are a few systems that don't work
I am using the latest version of the app as i just downloaded it monday after noon.

Dennis

Great bit of kit, the camera is very good on this model especially for the price,
I am so happy I got this model instead of paying over twice the price for the vision
Great for surveying / business,
Check out this short video,
http://youtu.be/wQKHozNC4Uw

Hi Chris
You didn't say weather you saw a check mark in the title bar of your device that you were trying to link to the camera if you don't see this then it's not connected.

Antonio
I could not agree with you more once i got the system working it took surprisingly great pictures and videos.

Dennis

There is no gimbal tilt control to the rear of the transmitter, you have to set the angle of the camera up before flight,
just come back and hover it in front of yourself and adjust the angle whilst it is still flying it's no big deal,
and of course you can stop and start the video and picture capture, and zoom in and out whilst in flight.

Hi everyone, Had my FC40 for 2 weeks now and due to work and bad weather have only flown it in my front room, Everything seems good and the camera quality looks good on iPhone display and on the recorded sd card.
Have plugged it into pc and downloaded all the software from DJI, all installed fine and seems simple to use, Turned on the IOC function, also turned the screw on back of controller to put it into FCC mode.
I used to fly nitro heli's about 10 years ago so not a total novice but am well out of practice at flying, Very impressed at how stable a quadcopter is in the hover, Can't wait to get outside with it and try out all the features of the GPS.
Did not hear about all the horror stories about Phantom's flying away until I had ordered my FC40 so hope that most of this internet scare mongering and that if i follow all the instructions mine should be OK

So I was wrong in my previous posting i again opened up the back of my transmitter for a look and i found that there is a gimble pot and a usb port the port is upside down on top of the main board this is the reason i missed it and there is an extra connector on the main board not in use this may be the gimble connection i took some pictures and i will try and upload them for you guys who want to take a look.

Dennis

Yess yess pics please. :) And hopefully ones taken with a real camera and not a smartphone :roll: , properly lit and in focus and nice 'n close.

Not that I'm picky of course. :mrgreen:

yea right not picky at all well here goes well the reply is the file is to large and the site won't accept the picture so i will have to take another try.

Dennis

A few tips on adding photos.

You can upload photos directly on this site but understandably they have limited storage space and thus set limits to the file size of 600KB.

If necessary you can reduce the file size with the free RIOT. The lite version is also part of the plugins that can be added to Irfanview. RIOT is available as standalone package (also a portable version) and as a plugin. It works like a charm. I usually set it to 70% which I think is the default. You can also 'Reduce to Size' and set it to the maximum of 600KB allowed here.

Here an example of a 4,5MB full-resolution photo reduced to the maximum of 600KB using the Reduce to Size function. Very useful tool.

Link to photo.

Attachments

• DSCF3956-600kB-61 percent.jpg
    DSCF3956-600kB-61 percent.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 1,148
That's odd. It says Phantom II 2.4G Remote Ctrl V4 on the PCB.

This is the inside of a 5.8GHz FC40 transmitter?

jamerd said:
So I was wrong in my previous posting i again opened up the back of my transmitter for a look and i found that there is a gimble pot and a usb port the port is upside down on top of the main board this is the reason i missed it and there is an extra connector on the main board not in use this may be the gimble connection i took some pictures and i will try and upload them for you guys who want to take a look.

Dennis
Awesome, thanks for the pic. Yes, the USB looks like its tucked away inside for some reason, who knows if that's the case for every FC40 controller, or if DJI switched manufacturing process at some point. As for the gimbal, that pot IS the gimbal. You can get a lever from eBay that plugs into the pot through the hole on the back of the radio. There's no connection. I have no idea what that other header is for.. Maybe an extra 2 channels for something related to the Phantom II vision.. will be interesting to find out though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic