DJI Phantom - Crash bang etc etc :0(

Reaction score
My DJI Phantom (my second one) decided to do its own thing, again!

Everything setup correctly, all green leds so full gps lock and I did a compass dance before the flight.

The GoPro went flying off the phantom when it hit the ground. Seems these anti-jello mounts aren't great for crashes as most of them are only held on with very loose rubber grommets.
If you watch the slowmo part you will see the grommets flying into the air as the camera is pulled from the phantom. You can actually see the phantom a bit as well during the flips :0)
No major damage except for a broken carbon fiber prob and the antenna cable snapped.

Who knows what the hell is going with these things :0(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lbPXe1_4A[/youtube]

I see you have different landing gear. Did you use part of the original leg to mount the compass in EXACTLY the right place?

marcus_canada said:
I see you have different landing gear. Did you use part of the original leg to mount the compass in EXACTLY the right place?

Yep, mounted it exactly as is was on the original landing skids. I've also done a advanced calibration and got good figures and always do a compass dance before flying.
I'm just gonna replace the tx and rx with futaba tj8 to take the original tx and rx out of the equation as well as getting some new anti-grav motors for it. I might even go mental and get a Naza M V2 for it.
I just want to fly the **** thing without worrying all the time that its going to head off on its own and crash. Or worse crash into some people :shock:

I had very little control on this flight as you can see. I was really fighting to bring it closer to me for the inevitable crash.

Retroman said:
marcus_canada said:

Yep, mounted it exactly as is was on the original landing skids. I've also done a advanced calibration and got good figures and always do a compass dance before flying.
I'm just gonna replace the tx and rx with futaba tj8 to take the original tx and rx out of the equation as well as getting some new anti-grav motors for it. I might even go mental and get a Naza M V2 for it.
I just want to fly the **** thing without worrying all the time that its going to head off on its own and crash. Or worse crash into some people :shock:

I had very little control on this flight as you can see. I was really fighting to bring it closer to me for the inevitable crash.

That was one twitchy looking flight pre crash... what mode were you in? Didn't look like it was stabilising itself at all if it was in Atti or GPS mode?
Hope it is ok on the whole... sounds like you are not getting much luck :(

DeweyAXD said:
Retroman said:
marcus_canada said:

That was one twitchy looking flight pre crash... what mode were you in? Didn't look like it was stabilising itself at all if it was in Atti or GPS mode?
Hope it is ok on the whole... sounds like you are not getting much luck :(

I was in GPS mode (full gps lock)

Sorry about your trouble. I know this all to well.

To solve the issue with the Anti-Vibration system, most people use a zap strap - or tie the rubber gromets to the two different plates. I have used a rubber band sometimes. It means it won't come off in a crash as they can be hard to find.

If you are serious about replacing the motors, and the controller, you should consider just buying something other than the phantom. You can buy an inexpensive frame, and add the parts you want for less money that upgrading the phantom to what you want. Assuming you can get the phantom to play nice, you can then sell it as a complete unit.

It is what I am considering doings as I have already purchased a superior RX/TX, and have better blades, a gimbal I like and an anti vibration system I like too.

Trusting the phantom is becoming more of an issue for me these days. I have not flown in several weeks as I consider my options.

D

I think I'll stick with the Phantom frame for the moment. Most upgraded parts can go to a new copter at a later stage.
The Phantom is small and easy to transport around (planes, trains and auto-mobiles).
I just wish it'd behave a little better more of the time, it's the ultimate drama queen quad-copter :D

Anyway, I've sourced a Futaba TJ8 in a shop near me so I'll grab that this weekend along with a few other bits. He also has the zenmuse gimbal but cant confirm if its the one with newer motors so I'll prob skip it (wouldn't attach it anyway until I know the Phantom will fly for more than 5 mins without having a heart attack or whatever is going on with all these Phantoms).

Anyone purchased those AntiGrav motors anywhere online in Europe?

I'll be getting a 3D Robotics Iris soon so will be able to compare that with the Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4