DJI Phantom + Airport Security = ?

Reaction score
Hello friends.

Relatively new phantom pilot (had it for about 6 months), and my family and I are off on a trip from Seattle to Hawaii on Hawaiin airlines tomorrow.

Really would love to take the Phantom along with us to get some airial shots of Hawaii and such, but I'm not sure if there are any special considerations needed for taking the Phantom through airport security as a carry on?

I have it all packed up in the professional case with all the accessories, and it's too much gear to risk checking IMHO, so wondering what other pilots have experience when traveling and taking through the airport as a carry on?

Can't afford to find out the hard way that TSA may not like it and being stuck in a security line trying to figure out what to do...

I'm also wondering the exact same thing. Going back east for Christmas and wanted to bring my Phantom, but I don't want to check it. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be allowed to bring it on board, but with how the TSA is, you never know. There must be someone on this forum who has brought their Phantom as a carry on? Did you have any trouble with the TSA?

I know there are issues with carrying lipo's on planes. The issue I heard about was several batteries not just one. The rest of the equipment is safe for travel but doesn't work too well without batteries. I would check with airline about placing lipo's in fire packs. Containers designed for lipo batteries.

If your case can fit in the overhead bins, you're all set. If you do have to check the case, take out the lipo batteries and carry them on board. Just make sure you take a little extra time to get through security. I've traveled with mine many times, and I din't have any problems. I just go for the early boarding to I make sure I have room.

Send the Phantom by FedEx or UPS. Let the hotel or others know that you have a package coming.

scottscaz said:
Hello friends.

Relatively new phantom pilot (had it for about 6 months), and my family and I are off on a trip from Seattle to Hawaii on Hawaiin airlines tomorrow.

Really would love to take the Phantom along with us to get some airial shots of Hawaii and such, but I'm not sure if there are any special considerations needed for taking the Phantom through airport security as a carry on?

I have it all packed up in the professional case with all the accessories, and it's too much gear to risk checking IMHO, so wondering what other pilots have experience when traveling and taking through the airport as a carry on?

Can't afford to find out the hard way that TSA may not like it and being stuck in a security line trying to figure out what to do...

I got from Denver, CO, USA to Melbourne, VIC, Australia with the GoPro in carry-on and batteries separate in carry-on. No issues, no questions, no blinking.

scott - what case did you use for Hawaiian Airlines? I'm taking Hawaiian this summer and have the same issue.

I've been on flights several times with my Phantom in a Vanguard Uprise II 48 backpack and never even been stopped.

scottscaz said:
update on this:

Back and forth to Maui no problem whatsoever.

They didn't even blink at it.

Thanks for the update.

We're going to Oahu and the Big Island next year.

Got any videos from the trip to show us? :mrgreen:

I'm hoping to capture some of the waterfalls on the Big Island and maybe fly over the lava fields.

OK - to clear this up.

The batteries allowed on commercial flights (and I'm only talking about LIPO's here because that's what we are all interested in) is limited by the amount of Lithium in the pack (all cells combined). The MAXIMUM legal limit of lithium that you are allowed to fly with is 25 grams PER BATTERY/PACK.

A 25 gram pack is the equivalent (roughly) to a 300Watt Hour (Wh) battery. If your packs are over 300Wh then you will not be allowed to take them on the plane.

To determine the watt hour rating of your packs take the voltage of the pack (nominal Lipo pack is 3.7v per cell), multiply it by the capacity (mAh) and divide by 1,000.

If it's more than 300Wh's ...... you're not taking it on the plane !!!

I hope that helps some people!

Thank you.

I was mainly curious as to what cases some people took as carry-ons and if they had any issues.

The standard phantom 2 battery is 57.72Wh (says it right on the battery), so nobody should have an issue with that as it's well below 300Wh.

The Editor said:
OK - to clear this up.

The batteries allowed on commercial flights (and I'm only talking about LIPO's here because that's what we are all interested in) is limited by the amount of Lithium in the pack (all cells combined). The MAXIMUM legal limit of lithium that you are allowed to fly with is 25 grams PER BATTERY/PACK.

A 25 gram pack is the equivalent (roughly) to a 300Watt Hour (Wh) battery. If your packs are over 300Wh then you will not be allowed to take them on the plane.

To determine the watt hour rating of your packs take the voltage of the pack (nominal Lipo pack is 3.7v per cell), multiply it by the capacity (mAh) and divide by 1,000.

If it's more than 300Wh's ...... you're not taking it on the plane !!!

I hope that helps some people!

in some cases it could be less. British Airways has a nice table about what it will or will not carry. http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/Forbidden_Items_List.pdf. Obviously a passenger MUST check with their appropriate carrier.

Additionally, the P2 battery is 57.72Wh

hope this helps

Bmews

kevinmtaylor said:
scott - what case did you use for Hawaiian Airlines? I'm taking Hawaiian this summer and have the same issue.

My wife and I went to Hawaii in March and I took my Phantom v1.1.1. I used the Nanuk 935 case. I am glad I did as one of the airlines between the islands checked every bag to ensure they were true carry on size. My Nanuk 935 slipped right in. The look on the gate agent's face was priceless. She thought she had me for sure! To be honest. Nothing much bigger would have fit in the overhead bin as my Nanuk 935 barely fit and was awarded several scratches for the effort though no big deal. Also, there was not enough room under the seat in any of the small commuter jets we flew between the islands.

As far as the TSA is concerned, I flew through security on all of my flights except one. I had two on the way over, two between islands and three on the way home. The only flight I was stopped on was the one back to the mainland from Maui. The TSA agent just opened it and tested the batteries for residue and then sent me on my way. Pretty painless really!

BTW: I LOVED having a hard case that rolled. I could sit my backpack on top of it and I was able to take both on every plane and keep them both with me. I was pleased to say the least and the video from Hawaii with the Phantom was worth the effort! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31