DJI Phantom 4 fall from 500m altitude RAW footage from phone FPV

What is the reason this thing happen on my DJI Phantom 4?

• Vortex Ring State

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Battery Fail

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Electromagnetic Field

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Signal Loss

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Others

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I need to fly more than 100mters above, because Im the developer and the owner of the housing complex on the video scene. That manage around 12000 hectare.
So need this drone to make any land survey,etc.

Sometimes I visit UK in a holiday. In UK I buy DJI phantom 3 and cannot hit more than 120meter when I test it, but in india there is no restriction. So automatically can hit more than 300meters above, but I give my phantom3 to my cousin, because I got phantom 4.

My phantom 3 fly around 310X without any crash
You can change 120 meters to 500 meters in the app on the p3a.

No arguing here, but do you guys have any proof on these phantoms entering a VRS. I feel the power to weight ratio exceeds the demand.

I've been flying camera ships for some time and have experienced minor states of VRS. This was flying a 6-7 lbs craft (SR) with 3lbs hanging from the bottom. Once in a great while I could feel and see it, but the overwhelming power that our models have, when compared to real aircraft, always handled it. And this was only coming straight down really fast.

I see a quad losing stability to the point where it tilts and moves off course, before it could enter a VRS, while in a rapid decent......

Previous versions were very prone to VRS. My P2s would enter VRS with relatively little provocation, no doubt exacerbated by being at an elevation of around 7500 ft. In contrast, my P4 has never given a hint of it, although I haven't tried to trigger it.

Either way - these quads unquestionably can enter VRS, and it's not a question of power-to-weight ratio if the props stall out in the disturbed air below them.

I'm no expert but agree with the loss of voltage (1 battery cell maybe) or power to one motor via the speed controller circuit failure that in turn has caused the initial rotation when the controller tries to stabilise the drone by matching prop speeds, this may have caused the quick decent due to all motors running slower to kept it stable. Only DJI would know how their software compensate for this type of fault.

Interesting crash. I've never seen a Phantom come down that controlled. Usually they tum
Then none of us should ever fly because there is always the possibility of a malfunction... :rolleyes:
No, there are always risks. But a good pilot will look to minimize them. We see lots of UAV pilots doing inherently foolish things (flying over roads). Likely without a care in the world because they are not thinking of what could go wrong. Sure, you 'probably' won't crash but what happens if you do? Useful to think about consequences. It's not like we all think that Phantoms are particularly reliable.

Yep, it sucks to live in civilization because there really aren't all that many completely open spaces anymore. But the OP is a baseline idiot for 1) flying to 500 meters and 2) flying over a heavily congested area. Hell, the thing could have flipped over from a wingtip vortex on a small plane flying a couple hundred feet away. You'd never see it and you'll never know.

Personally, I think it was aliens.

Reactions: snerd
Interesting thread. What's especially interesting to me is that it's not until post # 61 that anyone even mentions the flight logs. In every other crash thread I've seen, viewing the flight logs is usually mentioned/requested within the first few responses. Strange.

IDK why the video changed? Perhaps he cut out the middle of the video for some reason? The crash was a rather bizarre semi-controlled descent. It wasn't a no power fall, or a single missing prop, or the aircraft would have been tumbling uncontrollably. It was almost like the bird was suffering a massive power loss where the props were still running enough to keep her level but not enough to provide lift. Very strange.

The reason for my not-so-pleasant remark is, generally speaking, these things don't fall out of the sky. I have 6 Phantoms with a thousand flights between them & I've never had one fall from the sky. I don't typically fly at 500m, but I have on occasion. In fact were I able to fly through a low cloud deck I can't say I wouldn't again as that is some cool footage to capture. From what I saw of the flight the altitude doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Phantom crashing like it did, & I don't see what difference it makes where it suffered that failure at 400' vs.1640'. Either way it wouldn't be good if it happened to land on you from those altitudes. I don't know the pilot personally but your comment that "he shouldn't be flying that high anyway" just sort of struck me the wrong way. My eyes sort of glaze over whenever someone starts quoting "the rules" like it's scripture.

I dare say most of us don't live in areas with hundreds of acres of uninhabited land over which to fly. Further I'd say flying over such terrain is pretty damned boring & uninspiring. Most of us fly in the areas in which we live. I fly over buildings all the time. It is actually kind of interesting because you can watch the same video 50 times & spot something new with each subsequent viewing. I personally try to avoid flying over crowds of people for obvious reasons. But if my Phantom falls on a rooftop during a flight for the most part a homeowner is going to hear a thud & I'll make good on any damages.
It might be boring to you, but I will take woods and fields over concrete jungle any day of the week. And it may not always land on a roof, but that is a topic for another discussion.

Interesting thread. What's especially interesting to me is that it's not until post # 61 that anyone even mentions the flight logs. In every other crash thread I've seen, viewing the flight logs is usually mentioned/requested within the first few responses. Strange.
I asked that in post #13 and commented on the HealthyDrones report as well.

It might be boring to you, but I will take woods and fields over concrete jungle any day of the week. And it may not always land on a roof, but that is a topic for another discussion.
no, I dont edit any footage. The cut is a part of signal loss, on the page 1 I include the full footage of the drone camera
Let see it together and help investigate. Btw I got a new phantom 4 from the local dealer because of that loss.

Im the developer and the owner of the housing complex on the video scene. That manage around 12000 hectare.

no, my phantom still can fly, but the compas and camera is broken, here its footage after it crash

This thread and video is deeply concerning. First you fly arguably too high and in a built up area, seemingly either unaware of the potential for catastrophe or worse. Then you have, or possibly cause, said catastrophe and the p4 'mysteriously' falls out of the sky, nearly causing a potentially fatal accident. Following this you take the damaged p4 outside in the same built up area, with a live animal a few feet away, and power it on. Being known to damaged the p4 could easily have behaved unpredictably and anything could have happened at this point; it could have killed the dog, flown down the road into the nearest moving vehicle, gone through someone's window, hit a power line, etc., and only you would be to blame.

You consider traversing a road "particularly risky" flying? I don't know about where you live but here, short of flying over water or a long drive to the sticks, you won't be doing much flying if a road is to be considered a boundary. Similarly I imagine passing over a building, house, or boat might be particularly risky & taboo?

I recall back when I first got my Vision+. I took her to Fort Armistead & managed to fly out & over the Key Bridge which, for a Vision+, was quite an achievement. The video looked amazing & I proudly posted it online.

One day an unremarkable & wholly forgettable chap aptly called "Crash Hancock" (Gee I wonder how he picked up that swell nickname?) stumbled across my video & gave me grief for "flying over the bridge." Then he had all his Rump Ranger buddies visit & parrot his drivel. What I found laughable was, in a flight that lasted around 17-18 minutes, the actual crossing of the bridge lasted perhaps 2-3 seconds.

My point being I wouldn't fly down a busy highway for an extended period of time. But to simply cross one lasts a second or two & doesn't impart much risk.

Interesting crash. I've never seen a Phantom come down that controlled. Usually they tum

No, there are always risks. But a good pilot will look to minimize them. We see lots of UAV pilots doing inherently foolish things (flying over roads). Likely without a care in the world because they are not thinking of what could go wrong. Sure, you 'probably' won't crash but what happens if you do? Useful to think about consequences. It's not like we all think that Phantoms are particularly reliable.

Yep, it sucks to live in civilization because there really aren't all that many completely open spaces anymore. But the OP is a baseline idiot for 1) flying to 500 meters and 2) flying over a heavily congested area. Hell, the thing could have flipped over from a wingtip vortex on a small plane flying a couple hundred feet away. You'd never see it and you'll never know.

Personally, I think it was aliens.

No arguing here, but do you guys have any proof on these phantoms entering a VRS. I feel the power to weight ratio exceeds the demand.

I've been flying camera ships for some time and have experienced minor states of VRS. This was flying a 6-7 lbs craft (SR) with 3lbs hanging from the bottom. Once in a great while I could feel and see it, but the overwhelming power that our models have, when compared to real aircraft, always handled it. And this was only coming straight down really fast.

I see a quad losing stability to the point where it tilts and moves off course, before it could enter a VRS, while in a rapid decent......

I have never had any vrs, and most times I am descending from 300ish at full throttle down, but I am moving forward at the same time, which is supposed to help not entering vrs!

Reactions: Suhail78
You consider traversing a road "particularly risky" flying? I don't know about where you live but here, short of flying over water or a long drive to the sticks, you won't be doing much flying if a road is to be considered a boundary. Similarly I imagine passing over a building, house, or boat might be particularly risky & taboo?

I recall back when I first got my Vision+. I took her to Fort Armistead & managed to fly out & over the Key Bridge which, for a Vision+, was quite an achievement. The video looked amazing & I proudly posted it online.

One day an unremarkable & wholly forgettable chap aptly called "Crash Hancock" (Gee I wonder how he picked up that swell nickname?) stumbled across my video & gave me grief for "flying over the bridge." Then he had all his Rump Ranger buddies visit & parrot his drivel. What I found laughable was, in a flight that lasted around 17-18 minutes, the actual crossing of the bridge lasted perhaps 2-3 seconds.

My point being I wouldn't fly down a busy highway for an extended period of time. But to simply cross one lasts a second or two & doesn't impart much risk.
I watch this guy every now and then. Watch this video starting around 1:50. He is or was a radio personality, and it appears that he uses his drone as an extension of his "zany" personality. His latest video is doing a max altitude with his P4...just a little over 400'...just a little.

I saw a video of this guy the day his P4 arrived. He kissed the UPS guy. Think I'd have to deck him! ;)

I just flew directly across the bridge. For this guy at least there wasn't much traffic.

I watch this guy every now and then. Watch this video starting around 1:50. He is or was a radio personality, and it appears that he uses his drone as an extension of his "zany" personality. His latest video is doing a max altitude with his P4...just a little over 400'...just a little.

This thread and video is deeply concerning. First you fly arguably too high and in a built up area, seemingly either unaware of the potential for catastrophe or worse. Then you have, or possibly cause, said catastrophe and the p4 'mysteriously' falls out of the sky, nearly causing a potentially fatal accident. Following this you take the damaged p4 outside in the same built up area, with a live animal a few feet away, and power it on. Being known to damaged the p4 could easily have behaved unpredictably and anything could have happened at this point; it could have killed the dog, flown down the road into the nearest moving vehicle, gone through someone's window, hit a power line, etc., and only you would be to blame.

While I agree with the point you're trying to make. The melodrama imparted to your diatribe is a little over the top. Suffice to say an accident could have happened although probably not fatal. And an animal could possibly have been hurt, but probably not killed. You seem to have a flare for the sensational, are you a reporter perhaps. That being said, it is not the wisest thing flying over busy streets.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

no, I dont edit any footage. The cut is a part of signal loss, on the page 1 I include the full footage of the drone camera
Let see it together and help investigate. Btw I got a new phantom 4 from the local dealer because of that loss.

Im the developer and the owner of the housing complex on the video scene. That manage around 12000 hectare.

Not sure where you're located but in Canada that would be considered commercial use. Don't know about the regs where you are but here, you'd need to be certified. Even if your a farmer/rancher inspecting your own fences.

Not sure where you're located but in Canada that would be considered commercial use. Don't know about the regs where you are but here, you'd need to be certified. Even if your a farmer/rancher inspecting your own fences.

The OP clearly stated that he is in India.

I asked that in post #13 and commented on the HealthyDrones report as well.
Yes, you did but usually the OP is hounded until he/she posts them. In this thread, I don't see this. Just thought it strange and stranger still that I still don't see the logs.

Reactions: DeadGrunt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20