DJI Phantom 4 fall from 500m altitude RAW footage from phone FPV

What is the reason this thing happen on my DJI Phantom 4?

• Vortex Ring State

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Battery Fail

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Electromagnetic Field

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Signal Loss

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Others

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously I hope your Phantom crashes, or flies away, or some misfortune falls upon it.... :mad:
Maybe you can tell me because I have no idea. But why does the video change at the 1:54 to 1:55 mark? Doesn't it look a little strange? Of course, if it had hit a car or person would you be so defensive of the person flying it? And if mine crashes, I will just by another one and violate the cornfields I fly over. I believe there are rules that suggest no higher than 400AGL. But the best defense is common sense. Let me know what you see in the film where it changes. Completely different buildings in the span of one second. As for anyone which ignores the rules, it is called, "karma."

Maybe you can tell me because I have no idea. But why does the video change at the 1:54 to 1:55 mark? Doesn't it look a little strange? Of course, if it had hit a car or person would you be so defensive of the person flying it? And if mine crashes, I will just by another one and violate the cornfields I fly over. I believe there are rules that suggest no higher than 400AGL. But the best defense is common sense. Let me know what you see in the film where it changes. Completely different buildings in the span of one second. As for anyone which ignores the rules, it is called, "karma."

the video change at the 1:54 to 1:55 mark is because lost contact. here its the full footage from the drone

Question for you: have you ever driven a vehicle after one or two beers?
Have you ever, ever used your phone while driving?
Have you ever driven a vehicle lyre when really tired?
As for me, No, I have never driven a vehicle after any alcohol, and why would that be asked to the person?
I see in the paper all the time where people get DUI's or get into accidents drinking. Still against the law, and stupid. But then again, it is still against the law, and they get arrested and prosecuted. So the fact it didn't hurt anyone and landed in the street median makes it okay? What if it did hit a child, or car, startled the driver and they hit a pedestrian? It is all hearsay and subjective. Bottom line is, be an adult, don't drink and drive and stop flying recklessly.

And for the person that replied not everyone has an open field or area to fly, if you don't have a safe area to fly and fly where this guy did, that is as irresponsible and the people you mentioned driving after drinking. Everyone being an apologist to this guy will be put in the same category, as will responsible pilots when someone does injure someone. And what would happen if something does happen, the video is reviewed and shows the pilot ignored all the safety factors, and more restrictions are applied. Sorry, take a look at the video more closely and not seeing how they are not spliced together at 1:54 and 1:55 mark because the buildings magically change.

As for me, No, I have never driven a vehicle after any alcohol, and why would that be asked to the person?
I see in the paper all the time where people get DUI's or get into accidents drinking. Still against the law, and stupid. But then again, it is still against the law, and they get arrested and prosecuted. So the fact it didn't hurt anyone and landed in the street median makes it okay? What if it did hit a child, or car, startled the driver and they hit a pedestrian? It is all hearsay and subjective. Bottom line is, be an adult, don't drink and drive and stop flying recklessly.

And for the person that replied not everyone has an open field or area to fly, if you don't have a safe area to fly and fly where this guy did, that is as irresponsible and the people you mentioned driving after drinking. Everyone being an apologist to this guy will be put in the same category, as will responsible pilots when someone does injure someone. And what would happen if something does happen, the video is reviewed and shows the pilot ignored all the safety factors, and more restrictions are applied. Sorry, take a look at the video more closely and not seeing how they are not spliced together at 1:54 and 1:55 mark because the buildings magically change.

the video change at the 1:54 to 1:55 mark is because lost contact. here its the full footage from the drone
you can see the scene full footage from another video

Totally agree.. I live 5 miles from a major airport so in order for me to fly SAFELY I have to drive an hour away.. But again it's about being responsible and not breaking laws.. And yes malfunctions can happen anywhere but in a open field there are no people and cars to which non of them knew what could have came crashing down on them

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Generally your bird is only grounded within 1-1.5 miles of a major airport. Beyond that there is a "cone" of altitude restriction where your permitted altitude gradually increases until you get out to five miles at which point the restriction is lifted. The Phantom 2s did that automatically. It was built-in to the firmware for the major airports DJI included in the database. No internet connection was necessary it was just built-in & active. If I fly my Vision+ here at my house I fall within the "cone" of BWI. At the house I am limited to 160'. If I head towards BWI my permitted altitude drops & the bird comes down until I reach the point where it prevents me from heading further towards the airport. If I head the opposite direction I can slowly climb until the altitude restriction is lifted completely at 5 miles. Not that my Vision+ would ever make it to the 5 mile out point! :oops:

My Phantom 3s & 4 have no such altitude limitation, though I suspect I would be prevented from starting the motors within BWI's NFZ radius. I suspect also I would be blocked from traveling further towards BWI should I hit the periphery of the NFZ.

Totally agree.. I live 5 miles from a major airport so in order for me to fly SAFELY I have to drive an hour away.. But again it's about being responsible and not breaking laws.. And yes malfunctions can happen anywhere but in a open field there are no people and cars to which non of them knew what could have came crashing down on them

Last edited:
IDK why the video changed? Perhaps he cut out the middle of the video for some reason? The crash was a rather bizarre semi-controlled descent. It wasn't a no power fall, or a single missing prop, or the aircraft would have been tumbling uncontrollably. It was almost like the bird was suffering a massive power loss where the props were still running enough to keep her level but not enough to provide lift. Very strange.

The reason for my not-so-pleasant remark is, generally speaking, these things don't fall out of the sky. I have 6 Phantoms with a thousand flights between them & I've never had one fall from the sky. I don't typically fly at 500m, but I have on occasion. In fact were I able to fly through a low cloud deck I can't say I wouldn't again as that is some cool footage to capture. From what I saw of the flight the altitude doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Phantom crashing like it did, & I don't see what difference it makes where it suffered that failure at 400' vs.1640'. Either way it wouldn't be good if it happened to land on you from those altitudes. I don't know the pilot personally but your comment that "he shouldn't be flying that high anyway" just sort of struck me the wrong way. My eyes sort of glaze over whenever someone starts quoting "the rules" like it's scripture.

I dare say most of us don't live in areas with hundreds of acres of uninhabited land over which to fly. Further I'd say flying over such terrain is pretty damned boring & uninspiring. Most of us fly in the areas in which we live. I fly over buildings all the time. It is actually kind of interesting because you can watch the same video 50 times & spot something new with each subsequent viewing. I personally try to avoid flying over crowds of people for obvious reasons. But if my Phantom falls on a rooftop during a flight for the most part a homeowner is going to hear a thud & I'll make good on any damages.

i second that it resembles a vortex ring state, pretty much to a T

Very little damage considering how high he was. I thought this was a no no when I saw all the other houses round him it don't matter that it was 500m or 50m could still hurt someone or damage property. Too much money and very little sense. If you can afford to go out and buy another you must have a car take it somewhere safe to fly..

Reactions: pomonabill220
IDK why the video changed? Perhaps he cut out the middle of the video for some reason? The crash was a rather bizarre semi-controlled descent. It wasn't a no power fall, or a single missing prop, or the aircraft would have been tumbling uncontrollably. It was almost like the bird was suffering a massive power loss where the props were still running enough to keep her level but not enough to provide lift. Very strange.

The reason for my not-so-pleasant remark is, generally speaking, these things don't fall out of the sky. I have 6 Phantoms with a thousand flights between them & I've never had one fall from the sky. I don't typically fly at 500m, but I have on occasion. In fact were I able to fly through a low cloud deck I can't say I wouldn't again as that is some cool footage to capture. From what I saw of the flight the altitude doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Phantom crashing like it did, & I don't see what difference it makes where it suffered that failure at 400' vs.1640'. Either way it wouldn't be good if it happened to land on you from those altitudes. I don't know the pilot personally but your comment that "he shouldn't be flying that high anyway" just sort of struck me the wrong way. My eyes sort of glaze over whenever someone starts quoting "the rules" like it's scripture.

I dare say most of us don't live in areas with hundreds of acres of uninhabited land over which to fly. Further I'd say flying over such terrain is pretty damned boring & uninspiring. Most of us fly in the areas in which we live. I fly over buildings all the time. It is actually kind of interesting because you can watch the same video 50 times & spot something new with each subsequent viewing. I personally try to avoid flying over crowds of people for obvious reasons. But if my Phantom falls on a rooftop during a flight for the most part a homeowner is going to hear a thud & I'll make good on any damages.

no, I dont edit any footage. The cut is a part of signal loss, on the page 1 I include the full footage of the drone camera
Let see it together and help investigate. Btw I got a new phantom 4 from the local dealer because of that loss.

Im the developer and the owner of the housing complex on the video scene. That manage around 12000 hectare.
So need this drone to make any land survey,etc.

Got a news from my DJI local dealer, one of the rotor one in a hundred probalility voltage depleted to half in around 5 second

Very little damage considering how high he was. I thought this was a no no when I saw all the other houses round him it don't matter that it was 500m or 50m could still hurt someone or damage property. Too much money and very little sense. If you can afford to go out and buy another you must have a car take it somewhere safe to fly..

Yes, I need to fly more than 100mters above, because Im the developer and the owner of the housing complex on the video scene. That manage around 12000 hectare.
So need this drone to make any land survey,etc.

Sometimes I visit UK in a holiday. In UK I buy DJI phantom 3 and cannot hit more than 120meter when I test it, but in india there is no restriction. So automatically can hit more than 300meters above, but I give my phantom3 to my cousin, because I got phantom 4.

My phantom 3 fly around 310X without any crash

i second that it resembles a vortex ring state, pretty much to a T

I agree. The second video from the drone seems to suggest that the aircraft began an increasingly rapid descent under control before you start seeing rotation and landing gear and loss of control. The failure of one motor would have resulted in a tumbling drone, not the flat spinning we see in both videos. The fact that the drone can still fly after the crash suggests that there was no mechanical failure of motors or esc's in flight.

In Sport mode, it is possible to descend fast enough to induce a vortex ring state. To avoid entering VRS in a rapid descent, the drone needs to have some horizontal movement during descent. Flying a reasonably tight spiral during rapid descent is a common way to avoid this. Once in VRS, though, adding power, which is our most common response to seeing our drone falling, just makes it worse. It is *possible* to fly it out of VRS by trying to move laterally (full forward, reverse or whatever) but odds of a successful recovery once the state is well developed are low because the rotors just don't have enough bite.

Reactions: Kima kim
I agree. The second video from the drone seems to suggest that the aircraft began an increasingly rapid descent under control before you start seeing rotation and landing gear and loss of control. The failure of one motor would have resulted in a tumbling drone, not the flat spinning we see in both videos. The fact that the drone can still fly after the crash suggests that there was no mechanical failure of motors or esc's in flight.

In Sport mode, it is possible to descend fast enough to induce a vortex ring state. To avoid entering VRS in a rapid descent, the drone needs to have some horizontal movement during descent. Flying a reasonably tight spiral during rapid descent is a common way to avoid this. Once in VRS, though, adding power, which is our most common response to seeing our drone falling, just makes it worse. It is *possible* to fly it out of VRS by trying to move laterally (full forward, reverse or whatever) but odds of a successful recovery once the state is well developed are low because the rotors just don't have enough bite.

Great explain

400agl is only a suggestion by the faa for non commercial pilots!!

It is not a rule.

No arguing here, but do you guys have any proof on these phantoms entering a VRS. I feel the power to weight ratio exceeds the demand.

I've been flying camera ships for some time and have experienced minor states of VRS. This was flying a 6-7 lbs craft (SR) with 3lbs hanging from the bottom. Once in a great while I could feel and see it, but the overwhelming power that our models have, when compared to real aircraft, always handled it. And this was only coming straight down really fast.

I see a quad losing stability to the point where it tilts and moves off course, before it could enter a VRS, while in a rapid decent......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj