DJI Phantom 4 controller doesn't start charging an iPhone 7

Reaction score
Hi guy's, get new P4 (before fly with P3P, all ok) after first use I'm confuse. P4 controller does not charge an iPhone 7 (try more original cables and three same phones). When connect phone first two sec phone start charging, then stop. Use Google for answer, but don't find answer for this bug. Also try with iPhone 4s - with this phone all ok.

Last edited:
Hi guy's, get new P4S (before fly with P3P, all ok) after first use I'm confuse. P4S controller does not charge an iPhone 7 (try more original cables and three same phones). When connect phone first two sec phone start charging, then stop. Use Google for answer, but don't find answer for this bug. Also try with iPhone 4s - with this phone all ok.
HI I not think control (remote) is sup posed to charge iPad,,phone,,,,,is this what you mean

HI I not think control (remote) is sup posed to charge iPad,,phone,,,,,is this what you mean

Before I use P3P, and this RC charging my phone when I fly. With new P4 RC it does not happen with iPhone7. I have iPhone4s and this iPhone still charge new RC...

Last edited:
Before I use P3P, and this RC charging my phone when I fly. With new P4S RC it does not happen with iPhone7. I have iPhone4s and this iPhone still charge new RC...
OK with you now,,,I didn't even know that could be done....thanks for teaching me something new...maybe some setting in iPhone,,,if it works with others ...bit odd :)

Reactions: tonicinside
OK with you now,,,I didn't even know that could be done....thanks for teaching me something new...maybe some setting in iPhone,,,if it works with others ...bit odd :)

No settings on phone or dji go app. I need compare with guys here, who use same gadgets. I have bug, or it's as a standard on new gen of dji drones.

Choice good to know i use 10/1 samsung tablet..i try mine bit later..bloody working..aaarrrgggg..happy flying

I don't own an iPhone, but it's my understanding that you may get the indication on an iPhone that it's charging from some controllers, but the iPhone has circuitry that rejects charging unless an acceptable level of current is available. Given the small current level from the RC, the iPhone doesn't charge, but gives an indication it is. If you observe the iPhone percentage level while flying with P3P (GL300A and GL300B early controllers) I think you'll find that it discharges while you fly, even though the iPhone says it's charging. I believe this changed with the GL300C which doesn't provide a charge line in USB, or charge indication on the iPhone. I assume it was removed because it was confusing too many people.

This is the reason I fly with an iPad, the larger battery lasts a long time.

BTW, there's no such model P4S. It's just P4.

Last edited:
I don't own an iPhone, but it's my understanding that you may get the indication on an iPhone that it's charging from some controllers, but the iPhone has circuitry that rejects charging unless an acceptable level of current is available. Given the small current level from the RC, the iPhone doesn't charge, but gives an indication it is. If you observe the iPhone percentage level while flying with P3P (GL300A and GL300B early controllers) I think you'll find that it discharges while you fly, even though the iPhone says it's charging. I believe this changed with the GL300C which doesn't provide a charge line in USB, or charge indication on the iPhone. I assume it was removed because it was confusing too many people.

This is the reason I fly with an iPad, the larger battery lasts a long time.

BTW, there's no such model P4S. It's just P4.

That's correct - the iPhone charging circuitry attempts to pull current and the USB output voltage on the controller drops too low in most cases, leading to the iPhone charging input shutting down - certainly in all the combinations that I've measured.

It is conceivable that some controllers will provide more current than others, or that there is some variability in the threshold voltage that the iPhone will accept, but I'm still surprised that an iPhone 7 would charge from any of the Phantom series controllers.

However, having just run a few more tests with my current P4 controller, I get quite different results. I tested an iPhone 7 running 10.3, another one running 10.2, an iPhone 6 running 10.1 and an iPhone 4 running 7.1. All were connected via a USB diagnostic that passes intelligent charging negotiations.

All four iPhones pulled current, dropping the 5.2 V USB output on the controller to between 4.5 and 4.7 V, but none of them shut down. The two iPhone 7s charged at 4.6 V, 0.8 A, the iPhone 6 charged at 4.55 V, 1.0 A, and the iPhone 4 charged at 4.5 V, 0.7 A.

So it seems like it is more controller dependent than phone or iOS version dependent. Very interesting.

But wait, there's more. Just out of curiosity I connected my iPad Pro, and that started charging at 4.56 V, 0.8 A. I know that shouldn't happen, so I removed the USB diagnostic from the line and tried again. No charging. Same, it turns out, with all the iPhones too - they charge when I have the diagnostic inline, but not if I remove it. Very strange. I'll have to look further into this.

Reactions: tonicinside
But wait, there's more. Just out of curiosity I connected my iPad Pro, and that started charging at 4.56 V, 0.8 A. I know that shouldn't happen, so I removed the USB diagnostic from the line and tried again. No charging. Same, it turns out, with all the iPhones too - they charge when I have the diagnostic inline, but not if I remove it. Very strange. I'll have to look further into this.

Thank you for answer. Can you please explain more about USB diagnostic? Is it script for controller or saperate usb gadget?

Thank you for answer. Can you please explain more about USB diagnostic? Is it script for controller or saperate usb gadget?
It's an inline USB "gadget" that is reading charging diagnostics. At least that's my understanding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic