DJI Phantom 4 (Auto Exposure Problem) **Video Attached**

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out why the auto exposure is causing the video to flicker.

I am using a PolarPro ND16PL lens on auto mode (1080p @ 120fps) and when I installed the lens, the shutter speed dropped to 240fps so it was a perfect match for the amount of sun.

Also, the sun was high in the sky (12:00 noon).

I'm certainly no expert on photography / video. But I don't think using a polarizer lens while in auto mode is going to give you the desired results.

Auto mode in general is something I personally try to avoid using on the P4.

I had those Polar Pro "vivid collection" filters as well but quickly exchanged them for their "shutter collection".

The vivid collection certainly have their strengths (over water), but I find the non-polarized lenses so much more "user friendly". You don't have to worry about the location of the sun nearly as much.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest filming in manual mode. It may take a wee bit longer to get the proper settings, but the end results are well worth it...

With regular cameras, I am always in manual mode. The only reason I selected auto was because when you do a POI (point of interest) shot, you are circling the subject and the exposure would be different depending on the direction of the camera relative to the sun.

With regular cameras, I am always in manual mode. The only reason I selected auto was because when you do a POI (point of interest) shot, you are circling the subject and the exposure would be different depending on the direction of the camera relative to the sun.

And with a polarized filter, you're really going to run into issues while circling an object (unless you are directly under the sun).

And what are the chances of that?

I'd try the same shot with a regular filter, shooting in manual mode. I think you may be surprised...;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub