DJI Phantom 3 vs 3DR Solo Specs

I'm personally leaning towards the Solo at the moment.

I'm not bothered by the fisheye look. For the type of close up action sports I want to film with the drone it might actually be beneficial and whichever one I get will be cut in with GoPro footage anyway.

I haven't seen much about the more automated modes of the P3 but am pretty impressed by the looks of them on the Solo. Have a few months til I'll be getting either to see how they pan out anyway.

I also like the look of the Solo controller more with the separate screen and the fact I already have a Hero4 means the price difference is less.

I think the GoPro Fisheye discussion is a moot point, I bought the following lens and never looked back:

http://peauproductions.com/store/in...ct_info&cPath=137_139_156_158&products_id=685

You can get the same lens from China for about $80 but you will be waiting 4-6wks.

Personally I will not buy either the P3 or the Solo for the following reasons:

P3
-- I have too much invested in GoPro with the custom lenses and gimbals. I also want the freedom to move my camera to a new multi-rotor if something better comes along.
--The most important feature the P3 doesn't seem to offer is video+photo simultaneously, this feature is very important to me. It keeps me from making two flights when I need both pictures and video.

Solo
--Wifi?? Need I say more? Great product, horrible frequency choice.
--Range: If the Solo had a range of 3 miles it would be a no brainer.
--Flight Time: I'm getting 18 - 20 min flight time on my P2 with Gimbal, GoPro, FPV, and iOSD installed. The Solo would need at least 30 min to truly interest me.

I agree with everything HereIn2014 said, with one caveat, and that is source of your 5.4mm lens. I have bought 5.4mm lenses from RageCams, overseas, almost Peau (glad I didn't) and OST. OST gets my nod.

Head scratcher to me why GP hasn't offered a 5.4mm lens a year ago. Once they do, they knock $100 off the Solo vs P3 comparison. Neither platform motivates me today to depart from my P2+H4B+Zenmuse+5.8GHz FPV+iOSD+Flytrex. I'll likely skip this wave and drop in on the next set [late this year?].

Kelly

The waypoints capabilities alone are worth it for filming. If I can pre-program orientation, path, speed and gimbal movements and have it repeat the shot until I like it, that would be amazing.

As for GoPro losing quality when you de-fisheye, I'll take that Pepsi challenge. Watch this in full screen and tell me if you see any noticeable loss of clarity on the sides:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(Ignore the over-sharpening you see when it's reduced size. That's my bad.)

Love the video. Nice job. I'm not seeing over sharpening what do you mean by that?

Thank you guys for this great conversation. I just wanted to let you guys know that we have launched a new forum for 3DR Pilots: http://3drpilots.com

There you can post new threads about the 3dr solo and other aircraft and be sure that fellow 3dr pilots will be checking it out. Thanks for helping us kick it off!

Your comparison looks good for the "selective" chart you did BUT the SOLO has many superior bits that DJI will eventually charge you for. As for the camera well IMO nothing DJI offers can compete with a gopro. You should have added the yuneec Q550+ 4K to your comparison too as that package is what I call a "complete" package. Not all of us buy a bird on distance it can travel alone. Some of us fly FOV
As stated above.... what is after sales service worth. DJI has none.
I have 3 x Phantom 2 Version 2 birds that all run a gopro. Its a fantastic setup. There is no way I would even consider buying a P3 UNTIL they give us a much better camera for starters. Just wait till the P3 Version 2 comes out and see what little extras they offer us to upgrade.

what is "the best today" will be a has been tomorrow. Thats just how it goes. I will be sitting on the fence for a few months to see what gopro have hidden up thier sleeve as a pay back for the DJI split that was probably caused by greed more than anything else.
I will say this though, Whatever gopro introduces as thier bird will be something they want DJi to cringe about as a payback.
I got 3 P2's to keep me occupied until that happens.

As for the camera well IMO nothing DJI offers can compete with a gopro.

There is no way I would even consider buying a P3 UNTIL they give us a much better camera for starters.
Have you actually experienced the P3 in real life? I can see why you'd say that if you've never flown a P3. If you had I doubt you'd say what you are saying.

The P2 is not a good indicator of the P3, the P2 has been eclipsed in nearly every capacity by the P3. Anybody can discuss what may or may not be coming in the future but right now there's no drone in this market that has a better package with a more functional camera than the P3. Gopro vs P3 camera is a very debatable topic because there is no clear winner both have their own pros and cons.

The p3 is far better than the solo, rock solid, full camera control from the ground, amazing gimbal, amazing range and yet amazing price, can't beat that... Solo has some critical flaws... I would avoid it.

When you look at the cost of the 3DR, plus gimbal, plus camera your getting close to the cost of an inspire,,I haven't flown one (3DR) , but I just don't see it being twice as good as a P3A or in the same class as an inspire,,,

It will be interesting to see what gopro comes out with next year for a quad, but at this time the Phantom seems to be the best bang for the buck, or if your serious about photo/video the inspire

Reactions: GhostMaster

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic