DJI Phantom 3 crash, but why?

Excuse me, but i dont think it is a compass error. I guess it is more likely to be a "wrong homepoint" problem continued by a "lose of signal between UAV and RC" problem.
Did the Phantom fly towards your last homepoint of your last flight?
Okay, and what can I do about that? No he didn't. He just flew in a straight line frome me away.

Okay, and what can I do about that? No he didn't. He just flew in a straight line frome me away.
"He just flew in a straight line frome me away"
That straight line goes to the last homepoint of your last flight?

Hey guys, seriously … how likely you think that the compass error causes this -> "He just flew full power forward”. DJI’s software designers should be totally idiots if they wrote a clause -> I’m nt sure about my direction … let's full throttle … just in case ...

Or maybe they did, how could I know ...

Reactions: Akrosfer
This is definitely a troll. No video. No pictures. Over dramatic scene. Yep definitely troll. Hello, 3DR sponsor.

While I wouldn't be so bold as to classify him as a definite troll, I'm left with a rather empty feeling for information. Conditions? Data recorded? Video? So many options of typical flight characteristics and technology are left out. I'll eat my words if the OP is actually able to present some factual, hard data. Data is all that I need.

However, too many people believe these things are actually RTF. See my sig line for my thoughts on that.

You see, in 2010 I bought a 2011 Mustang GT with the all new 5.0 Engine and GetRag 6-sp manual gearbox. I have owned a number of Chevy's AND Ford's over the years and this one was, perhaps, one of the most anticipated while being the most adversarial.

Anticipated because many people, such as myself, had stated they wouldn't buy another Mustang until a 5.0 was placed within her fenders. Adversarial because this same Mustang absolutely smoked the Chevy and Dodge competition despite their larger, more traditional push-rod engines.

And I do mean SMOKED. Unmodified to unmodified, there was ZERO comparison. The Mustang won on all fronts, even handling vs. the Camaro's same base set up. The solid rear axle of the Ford, with its rather "simplistic" 3-link suspension, having been its greatest detracting aspect in years past, had been proven to be more than capable of taking on the Camaro once outright performance as put in the mix. All due to technology. Advances in technology negated the "Magnetic Ride" of the Camaro. It took a Camaro of much greater price to exceed the performance of the Mustang with the new 5.0L engine and programming.

Feelings were hurt. Emotions high. Brand loyalty demanded a lack of actual facts being presented. Once modified vehicles had been in play for a couple of years, the fanboy's refused to comment except in their own little worlds. Comparisons were analogous at best. Out right lies at worst.

I will take actual performance over perceived performance any day of the week. This is simply one such example.

BTW OP. I've yet to see a "little three"....I assume you meant little tree, planted in the middle of concrete. Unless, of course, you were flying this quad in a highly populous area where such things are commonplace.

Too little information. Language barrier perhaps? Sure. That's a possibility. I won't begrudge you that. However, even with a Google Translation, the most basic pilot is going to provide SO MUCH more information than what you have here. Hell. I don't even own a P3 and I know what to do in this situation as far as reporting an issue to my fellows.

He is lucky tho, because how many P3's do think could fly forward full speed into a tree and then bounce onto a concrete floor with the props still spinning and still have the gimbal and camera still in tact, Only his props damaged, Whoo lucky boy there.

Hello everybody. I received my DJI P3 Adv yesterday and flew I think five times in total, everything was okay. When I did my first flight (yesterday) I calibrated the drone. Today I didn't, and I flew on different locations and everything was okay. So, a few hours ago I would go for my 6th flight and when the drone was up to 15ft he did some terrible things. He just flew full power forward and I didn't do anything. He crashed in a little three and after that on the concrete floor. He scratched over the floor like a lunatic. So I run to the drone and grab it firm and he was crazy. He would flew away, so I pulled out the battery. My fingers are still bleeding because the propellors hit my fingers. After a few minutes I saw on the screen at the app and there was a red sign blinking with 'ERROR' on it and some other words. I thougt maybe I put the propellors wrong, but they where good (black-black, silver-silver). So does anybody know what this red blinking error means and why my drone did this insane action? I had some luck, because only the props where damaged.

Do you need to calibrate every time you take you drone for a flight?

I am affraid when I go for my next flight the same thing will happen:(

I'm sorry for my English. I'm from Holland.
That's a terrible thing that happened to you. What are your plans? I would call DJI tech support in LA and inform them as to what happened to you. I wouldn't fly again until you check with them. You might void your warranty.

Its a Must to calibrate you drone compass every time before flying. I fly everyday from same spot still calibrate everytime before i start my flight. This clearly compass error since you didnt calibrate compass before you fly. Do the checklist before fly everytime you go out there to fly your drone. Lucky you only props damaged.

COMPLETELY untrue sir. Please do more research before flying again.

I don't even know what my compass numbers mean to verify they look good. My mod is usually around 1900 and I read it's normally around 1400

I don't even know what my compass numbers mean to verify they look good. My mod is usually around 1900 and I read it's normally around 1400

What does the manual say is an acceptable range?

Hey guys, seriously … how likely you think that the compass error causes this -> "He just flew full power forward”. DJI’s software designers should be totally idiots if they wrote a clause -> I’m nt sure about my direction … let's full throttle … just in case ...

Or maybe they did, how could I know ...
A compass error can cause a conflict between gps and compass....compass says its "here doing this" and gps says its "here doing this" and then the bird freaks and tries to correct. What do you think would happen if you travelled let's say 1000 miles away and didn't do a compass calibration......your bird would be confused and act in the same way.... fly hard trying to correct the impossible.

Its a Must to calibrate you drone compass every time before flying. I fly everyday from same spot still calibrate everytime before i start my flight. This clearly compass error since you didnt calibrate compass before you fly. Do the checklist before fly everytime you go out there to fly your drone. Lucky you only props damaged.

You are best to do some more research on this subject, you will do more harm than good doing this before every flight. This has been pointed out a number of times.

That's a terrible thing that happened to you. What are your plans? I would call DJI tech support in LA and inform them as to what happened to you. I wouldn't fly again until you check with them. You might void your warranty.
Well, I was hoping somebody knew what this causes. I appreciate the people who are trying to help. I will read the manual. I didn't receive one, only a quick-start. I will also contact the DJI tech support.

COMPLETELY untrue sir. Please do more research before flying again.
Not COMPLETELY untrue if you read the manual page 45.
image.jpg

The inspire and P3 have a feature if the compass gets bad data then it flicks the craft into P Atti then your on your own flying it, and it does this to prevent such thing as a flyaway. While i do think the P3 has a more sensitive compass maybe than the inspire with this safety feature is another story and topic.
fplvert, while you point out the bit you posted, it has been said again and again by blade that doing a compass cali every flight may do more harm than good.

Oh right cause everyone looses signal 15 feet up.....ok
1. May you please tell me a possible relation between compass (not gps) calibration failure and "go straight and hit a tree" automatical action?
2. As for automatical actions Phantom can do, how many alternatives do we have, except for RTH?

Not COMPLETELY untrue if you read the manual page 45.View attachment 23053

You would need to be hooked to your computer to get those axis readings, am I right?

IF, for some reason, your compass is ALWAYS off before you fly, then you've got an issue well outside of normal and need to return your Quad for service. Compass readings being off so much as to require a recalibration prior to EVERY flight is a hardware issue or, you're failing to properly locate the Quad during calibration. OR, you've gone a few hundred miles between locations.

Please, inform yourself before replying. I'm quite well informed these days. Not trying to be confrontational at all. Just trying to reduce the "perceived" steps needed to have a successful flight.

Reactions: Louis_Eng

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl