DJI Phantom 3 4k Range Extender

Reaction score
Hello pilots! I'm glad to be here. I have a P3 4k and I want to extend the range of my Phantom, cause I lost the wifi signal on my mobile and I need more distance to fly . What is the better antenna/system to do that? Itelite DBS02 Antenna System? Does it works properly? I asked DJI support and they wouldn't recommend to modify the RC. Is that right? Any help? Please! I do appreciate !

dbs mod is great due that one

Reactions: BRdroidPilot
Well worth the effort i did DBS mod now flying well over 2000 mtrs + here in the United Kingdom and thats on
ce mode model.

DJI would never recommend you alter their design.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hexagon
Nah. I'm happy. When I drop more money for a new one it'll be an Inspire. 4K is my practice/starter bird. I did buy a second controller so I could mod one and still have my stock one.

mod 1 (3) by Tim Robinson, on Flickr

mod 2 (3) by Tim Robinson, on Flickr

Mod successfully completed - can't really test it until this weekend but it appears to be functional. I did fly it around my back yard at a low altitude in both DJI go and Litchi and so far so good but I need to take it out somewhere away from my house to really test it out....

Reactions: jointeffort
difficulty level of mod?

difficulty level of mod?

Wasn't terrible....I have a background in electronics tho so that helps. Just had to take it slow and be very very very careful, especially removing the original cables and antennas.

I ordered DBS mod for my 4K too. Changed from CE to FCC and got a good video signal with stock antenna.

@jonahex2099 Can I pm you later if I want to install the DBS mod? That seems like a cleaner setup than drilling holes on top of the RC.

PS: That's a loooooot of batteries back there. :grin:

Last edited:
I ordered DBS mod for my 4K too. Changed from CE to FCC and got a good video signal with stock antenna.

@jonahex2099 Can I pm you later if I want to install the DBS mod? That seems like a cleaner setup than drilling holes on top of the RC.
how due you change from ce to fcc thought it was where your located depends on your signal

Reactions: francesco1525
This thread. Changed the Tx-power from 15dbm to 27dbm. But have to be careful 'cause some people already bricked their rc and bird. It's for P3S and 4K only.

I'm not sure I understand what CE and FCC mode is, or how to change it. Explain please.

I'm not sure I understand what CE and FCC mode is, or how to change it. Explain please.

For P3S and P34K, In CE mode, the tx(transmission)-power is limited from 15 to 17dbm. In FCC mode, the tx-power can go to 27dbm. If we increase the tx-power for both drone and rc, we will get better signal at long range. In stock mode, I think it depends where you use the drone. If you used it in the US, it should switch to FCC automatically, if in Europe or the rest of the world it automatically use CE. I heard people who have P2, have a button on the back of their rc, that can change the mode manually. But in P3, that button was gone. However, there are some people here who changed to FCC manually by running a script through their computer to force the drone and the rc to use 27dbm tx-power. See the link to the thread that I provide in my previous post.

Oh and this is to change the tx-power of the video signal only (2.4Ghz). The rc signal is using 5.8Ghz frequency.

Sure but the overall mod is pretty simple. I just drilled the holes for the connectors on the front so it looked cleaner. I also grouped the 2.4 ghz connectors on one side and the 5.8 on the other to satisfy my OCD.

The other thing I noticed is the external cables only go on one way in that the ends are pinned differently.

I have four batteries right now. Debating two more but four is good for now. The other batteries are for my DSLRs and flashes and other cameras.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4