DJI Phantom 2V+ CRASH INTO POOL!

Reaction score
Oh my. I was flying my DJIP2V+ around my back yard and it literally fell from the sky like a rock from 100' right onto a roof and then into a pool. The crash knocked the battery out of the unit and lost two propellers during the ordeal.

Otherwise the vehicle looks pretty good.

My question now is - what should i do? Obviously wait for it to dry out, but i would love to hear ANY SUGGESTIONS this board has regarding my best next steps!

Thanks - CZ

Hi, sorry about your crash. I just answered this question in the help section under FC 40 Swim. I hope it will help you.

Thanks. I used a blow dryer on low for about 20 minutes. I can't remove the shell because I do t seem to have an Allen wrench that tiny for the outermost screws. I will have to take it to the hobby shop tomorrow and see what they say. I am so tempted to power it up, but know that is a poor idea knowing it could still be a little wet. Me so sad.

Definitely don't power up while it might be damp inside.
You could flush it with alcohol to help it dry faster/better.

You are also going to have to deal with whatever caused your Phantom to fall out of the sky.
That's not normal and sounds like it might have lost an ESC?

every phantom comes with a tool set and the correct allen key (or not? I'm not sure anymore, it's a long time since I unboxed my last phantom). The outermost screws have just the ordinary philips heads (cross) that accept a reasonable size standard philips screw driver. And that one should be in the box, I'm sure, as well as a flat one (the same screw driver, it's reversible). Leave it in a bag of rice for a few days, of course with the shell off, to dry it out completely.

Take out the 4 outer screws first before loosening up the 12 allen screws otherwise you need too much force and you ruin the heads. When assembling back together be sure to screw in the 4 outer screws last.

Get it open. Hex wrench in box will destroy your fingers.
Flip upside down, this allows water to drain away from the electronics.
Place in air tight container with dry rice, this absorbs water, leave for several days.
Pray

lake_flyer said:
every phantom comes with a tool set and the correct allen key (or not? I'm not sure anymore, it's a long time since I unboxed my last phantom). The outermost screws have just the ordinary philips heads (cross) that accept a reasonable size standard philips screw driver. And that one should be in the box, I'm sure, as well as a flat one (the same screw driver, it's reversible). Leave it in a bag of rice for a few days, of course with the shell off, to dry it out completely.

Take out the 4 outer screws first before loosening up the 12 allen screws otherwise you need too much force and you ruin the heads. When assembling back together be sure to screw in the 4 outer screws last.

Nope mine didn't come with anything as far as tools. Its a good idea to buy a set.

Anyone ever pack the quad in rice after a dip in the pool?

RICE! Rice it up good and hope for the best. Then think about selling it.

All I got was a screwdiver with a reversible Philips/flat head. I am going to hardware store today to get a set of small tools just for my quads. Figure its a good idea to have them on hand.

I brought it in to my authorized dealer (Hobby Action, Tempe AZ - they are awesome)

The gimbel and gimble ribbon are destroyed and we are making a warranty claim with DJI as the aircraft was purchased less than 2-months ago and it was clearly a mechanical, electrical or software malfunction.

I have heard pretty bad things about DJI Customer service, but will give them the full benefit of the doubt and keep the board posted on how i am treated throughout this process.

In hindsight, i am very thankful that there was not any real damage to persons or property and that this incident was not brought to the attention of an already hawkish national media. "DJI Drone Malfunctions Again - Falls From Sky Like a Rock - More rules, regulations needed immediately"

Hahaha! The reason I said that was because I wouldn't trust the Phantom after that, even if it flew fine. I'd just say I crashed it so it's best used as spares! :D

rotorwash said:
lake_flyer said:

Nope mine didn't come with anything as far as tools. Its a good idea to buy a set.

Anyone ever pack the quad in rice after a dip in the pool?

Yes. I suggested it in the FC 40 Swim, that I referred to. OP chose not to do so and he got smoke when he turned it on. Others here have suggested the same. I said 24 hours, but longer is better.

PsychopathRC said:
RICE! Rice it up good and hope for the best. Then think about selling it.

Advertise it here if you do! But, hopefully you will not have to do that. If you do, be honest.

PsychopathRC said:
Hahaha! The reason I said that was because I wouldn't trust the Phantom after that, even if it flew fine. I'd just say I crashed it so it's best used as spares! :D

Now, that just isn't right! Plus, I've fully restored every dunked electronic items, with no after effects. Done properly it works. In this case, the battery falling out might have helped. Water isn't as conductive as most people think. If the battery is removed right away, full recovery is very possible.

CaptainZero711 said:
FYI - i sent a follow-up email to DJI today - i still have not heard back.

In the meantime, does it still have water in it? I emailed them twice, three weeks ago with no answer. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj