DJI Phantom 2 Vision, Prop Guards ? Y or N ?

Reaction score
2 x questions.."..

Would you recommend having them?

Will the DJI still fit into the hard case supplied by BuzzFlyer with the guards fitted?

I'm new and learned from my first landing to value of prop guards. For now, I'm leaving them on. If I get better at flying, I will decide then if I want to keep them.

I kinda like them unless it's really windy, feel it protects the blades incase of a tip over and anyone should it ever hit them or obstacles (not that I fly near either) I have wide landing gear on my plus too but to give extra height to the new camera but I'm getting tempted to put the standards back on

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk 2 Pro

I don't think there's any case designed to fit the Phantom with the PROPS attached, much less the guards... and honestly you don't want to be traveling with props or guards attached anyway.

I got prop guards at first but after a few flights I don't use them anymore for a few reasons:
1) they make a vortex ring state more likely
2) they add weight
3) I don't fly near people or obstacles often
4) proper takeoff and landing

1) Vortex Ring State or VRS: look into this more yourself there are TONS of discussions around here about it but basically if you descend too quickly straight down you're descending into your own disturbed air or "prop wash", the props can't maintain lift and the Phantom falls from the sky. it's quite easy to NOT have this happen by simply having lateral movement as you descend and don't just descent straight down, especially quickly. anyway people say that prop guards cause more disturbed air under your phantom so it's easier with guards than without to experience a vrs.
2) simple. more weight = less flight time
3) I'll put on prop guards if I'm going to be doing low level flying or there's obstacles nearby... trees, buildings, whatever... but most of the time I'm plenty high up where there aren't any obstacles so the prop guards are pointless
4) takeoff and landing are where most people experience tipovers and broken props. Takeoff is easy.. don't be gentle and slowly raise the throttle. when you're ready to take off do a full power, authoritative takeoff until you have at least 1-2 meters altitude.
landings are a bit more tricky, I'm going to just copy/paste one of my prior posts about it:
catching is easier than landing. I found myself tipping and/or breaking props trying to land so I said screw this, I see guys in videos all the time catching their phantom instead of landing how hard can it be? and it isn't. just be safe obviously, keep it higher than you, don't have it moving quickly and reach up and grab the landing gear. make sure to hold it in the proper position horizontally while you bottom the left stick for 3 seconds to shut off the props.
also you feel like a badass :)
there is an absolutely perfect catch (imo) at the beginning of this video. notice he has the phantom facing away from him so the right stick movements are "normal"
a lot of people around here agree as long as you take proper care, catching is better/easier/less prone to problems than landing

I bought a pair of prop guards, but they were not very well made, The props would touch them, I had to bend the guards a little.
After a few flights I dont need them, Like the previous poster said, If your able to make a proper landing and takeoff, and you are aware of your surroundings, prop guards are not needed to much.

I've had mine for two months and they're still brand-new in the box I have no use for them. It really is a personal preference.

I ordered my guards after a couple of months of burning through props (I have a LOT of trees around my house). I also felt it would be a little safer in case it ever did go down around people. Furthermore, I saw this You Tube video titled "apartment tour" where the guy had a original phantom flying around his loft apartment. A couple of times he veered a little close to a wall or ceiling beam and the thing bounced right off.

They do change the performance though...you really need to pay attention to wind speeds as they do make it harder to get back to you in a breeze. Don't know if they cause a ring vortex state any easier as I've experience that with and without them--always best to descend slowly or while moving horizontally (zig-zagging) anyway. I did have a flight a couple of nights ago where I was in between t-storms with lightning all around me. Had to get down in a hurry as the winds picked up again and you could tell the rains were coming, so I put down pretty hard on a slight grade and the thing tipped. Save me at least a couple of props there!

Oh...and here's my case.

Attachments

• IMG_20140514_081823084_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140514_081823084_HDR.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 624
QYV said:
I don't think there's any case designed to fit the Phantom with the PROPS attached, much less the guards... and honestly you don't want to be traveling with props or guards attached anyway.

I got prop guards at first but after a few flights I don't use them anymore for a few reasons:
1) they make a vortex ring state more likely
2) they add weight
3) I don't fly near people or obstacles often
4) proper takeoff and landing

1) Vortex Ring State or VRS: look into this more yourself there are TONS of discussions around here about it but basically if you descend too quickly straight down you're descending into your own disturbed air or "prop wash", the props can't maintain lift and the Phantom falls from the sky. it's quite easy to NOT have this happen by simply having lateral movement as you descend and don't just descent straight down, especially quickly. anyway people say that prop guards cause more disturbed air under your phantom so it's easier with guards than without to experience a vrs.
2) simple. more weight = less flight time
3) I'll put on prop guards if I'm going to be doing low level flying or there's obstacles nearby... trees, buildings, whatever... but most of the time I'm plenty high up where there aren't any obstacles so the prop guards are pointless
4) takeoff and landing are where most people experience tipovers and broken props. Takeoff is easy.. don't be gentle and slowly raise the throttle. when you're ready to take off do a full power, authoritative takeoff until you have at least 1-2 meters altitude.
landings are a bit more tricky, I'm going to just copy/paste one of my prior posts about it:
catching is easier than landing. I found myself tipping and/or breaking props trying to land so I said screw this, I see guys in videos all the time catching their phantom instead of landing how hard can it be? and it isn't. just be safe obviously, keep it higher than you, don't have it moving quickly and reach up and grab the landing gear. make sure to hold it in the proper position horizontally while you bottom the left stick for 3 seconds to shut off the props.
also you feel like a badass :)
there is an absolutely perfect catch (imo) at the beginning of this video. notice he has the phantom facing away from him so the right stick movements are "normal"
a lot of people around here agree as long as you take proper care, catching is better/easier/less prone to problems than landing

+1
Sticky candidate!

I have prop guards fitted and after this flight today I have just ordered another set. On bringing the Phantom back home the only damage was that one of them had cracked. A small bit of super glue and it is fixed. However I will be replacing it a soon as I get the new ones. It was a very tight space as you can and my piloting was the error. But after resetting the Phantom it worked perfectly to get both the church and the tower. It is for a History project the tower at the end was built in 1194 if anybody is interested.

http://youtu.be/OH4iqNQYaqU

IMHO,
For begining are great. No prop damage on take off, trees, bumps, etc.
For free flight, a mess.
* Speed with prop guards: 32 mph
* Speed without prop guards: 56 mph
* With prop guards, very unestable while filming.

They have their purpose and associated risks.

Add to the 'cons' list: they add drag.

Never got them because they were out of stock when I picked up my P2V. Never felt like getting them later. Catching/Hand-landing is the alternative for me to the most likely risk of prop damage. In the unlikely event of hitting something with turning props I figure they will not help much anyways. My P2V fits into my case with props attached. Would not fit with guards.

Summary: superfluous, learn hand-landing.

Daniel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31