DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Intelligent Flight Battery Hack

Reaction score
Hi, im Wolfinze in Portugal.
Just made some test around the Intelligent Flight Battery, and found that is possible to recharge battery while flying....
I just connected two thin wires to the battery connected to the drone, and then i take the recharger, found where was the +12volts pin and connected to the thin wires + to + and - to - !
The drone was able to do all things, with no problem while recharging ! This tell us that is possible to connect a extra 12volts battery and connected directly to the DJI battery.
See the foto, if any more information please ask !!

Paulo Lobo

Attachments

• Flying and Charging at same time.jpg
    Flying and Charging at same time.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 2,147
Due to the amount of current required by flying, it's likely that you weren't so much recharging the battery as you were supplementing it.
I'd suspect that if you did this continually, the battery would still run down, though at a slower rate than normal.
(I don't know what the actual current draw is for hovering vs. what the charger supplies; charging is only possible if the charger supplies
more current than required for flying.)

Yes, that is true, but if it was flying for sure it will give more than 25 minutes, the recharger is DJI charger, 4 amp !
Instead of the charger if you use a 10ampere 12volts battery i think it will give us at least 50 minutes fly for the drone !!

What do you think ?

Another test i want to make is to use a solar power cell, i have one of 12volts 1ampere, it will help to keep battery longer life...

I have tried this but found out that the circuit board inside the battery measures current drain. Once it has seen 5400mah drained it reports back to the phantom that the battery is empty even though the secondary pack has been feeding power. So I found that piggy backing extra lipos did not extend flight times.

But if you connect a extra battery of 12volts 10amperes to the DJI battery it will keep charging the DJI battery and it will take longer flight durattion !
Its almost like in your car, while driving you have a alternator that charges the car battery and its always recharged unless the alternator is damage !

A extra battery of 12volts with 6,7,8,9,or 10 or 20amperes will recharg the DJI battery and the drone will fly more this is 100% for sure.
Im going to test this and will insert here the fotos to prove it.

Paulo Lobo

Soon i will show you a drone that is able to fly with no discharge, i will take some months to build it, but its easy to do this !

My Future Projects :

1 - Autonomous Drone.
2 - Follow me Drone.
3 - No battery drone ( working with fuel misture combustion ), well battery only for electronic control.
4 - Super Drone - Drone that will take 10kgs to the sky.

Just remember another thing, if you connect your Intelligent flight battery to the drone but disconnect the pins that has the +12 volts just keep the comunication pins connected, and you give 12volts to the power pins of the drone with another battery the DJI battery will tell the drone :

Drone, im here, im fully recharged, even if im not giving you power im fully recharged !
Drone will fly with the extra battery but sure it can come down because you can not know when the spare battery is empty...but if you have a battery with 6,7,8,9,10 or more amperes you know that you can fly more than 25 minutes...

As a electronic engineer its possible to build a circuit that measures the voltage when the voltage is low will activate to the drone the DJI battery and the drone will keep flying...

So many things we can do !! But carefull dont burn the drone with your experiences !!!

Regards,

Paulo Lobo

Wolfinze said:
Soon i will show you a drone that is able to fly with no discharge, i will take some months to build it, but its easy to do this !

My Future Projects :

1 - Autonomous Drone.
2 - Follow me Drone.
3 - No battery drone ( working with fuel misture combustion ), well battery only for electronic control.
4 - Super Drone - Drone that will take 10kgs to the sky.

Just remember another thing, if you connect your Intelligent flight battery to the drone but disconnect the pins that has the +12 volts just keep the comunication pins connected, and you give 12volts to the power pins of the drone with another battery the DJI battery will tell the drone :

Drone, im here, im fully recharged, even if im not giving you power im fully recharged !
Drone will fly with the extra battery but sure it can come down because you can not know when the spare battery is empty...but if you have a battery with 6,7,8,9,10 or more amperes you know that you can fly more than 25 minutes...

As a electronic engineer its possible to build a circuit that measures the voltage when the voltage is low will activate to the drone the DJI battery and the drone will keep flying...

So many things we can do !! But carefull dont burn the drone with your experiences !!!

Regards,

Paulo Lobo

I applaud your creativity and curiosity.

First, what do you mean by 'fly with no discharge'?

As you know- engineering requires trade-offs. As you add these high capacity batteries you add weight. Weight reduces control system 'headroom' or it's dynamic range to be able to perform flight control and make attitude corrections, maneuverability due to increased inertia from the added mass, and of course more energy to keep the weight aloft.

Just keep in mind that some of your ideas have been tried before and there are issues created by the proprietary design found in some of DJI's products. Some have already spoken before me. Look around to see what might have already been tried. I think you'll find some of your assumptions may be incorrect.

I wish you success and I'll be looking to see what you come up with.

"Fly with no discharge"

I want to build a drone able to fly 24hrs/day, controlled by a computer via gsm network.
Even if i have to use a small combustion motor to produce electric current.

The problem here is money investment... if this was not a problem and i was able to give birth to all my ideas, at this moment our planet was something different and better to live in !
1% ideas are drone ideas 99% ideas are life ideas...

PL

Wolfinze said:
Another test i want to make is to use a solar power cell, i have one of 12volts 1ampere, it will help to keep battery longer life...

I have a 12 volt 15 watt solar cell. No way could a Phantom carry it.

Hi, do you know that the weight of a solar cell is very small ?
The problem is in the solar cell structure some have aluminium around and glass...

Solar cell is almost as thin as a paper sheet ! And its extremely light !!!

I do realize that. My panel is at least a foot wide and about two feet or more long. Even without a frame, how could this be attached to a Phantom. In bright sun it will put out a little over 1 amp at 12 volts. You can't put anything on top of Phantom that would block the GPS and underneath its output would be lower. If it maxed at 1 amp output the charge would still be very slow.

Take it easy !!
So many ways !
Why use 4 or 8 motors ? Why not only one with mechanical and electronic selectors ?
Why use electric motor and not gasoline small motor ??
Why dont we use a small gasoline motor and produce 12v 10amperes for the drone ?
Why dont we use jato and not propellers motors ??

We need to test.

Wolfinze said:
Take it easy !!
So many ways !
Why use 4 or 8 motors ? Why not only one with mechanical and electronic selectors ?
Why use electric motor and not gasoline small motor ??
Why dont we use a small gasoline motor and produce 12v 10amperes for the drone ?
Why dont we use jato and not propellers motors ??

We need to test.

None of your questions are new or novel BTW.
They've all been answered.

I reached my 'tipping point' somewhere around 'jato'.

Can't take you seriously anymore.

Cheers.

Your missing the point.

The cap on the battery meassures drain. Once it has meassured 5200ma it tells the phantom controller that the battery is empty. The phantom then triggers an autoland. The batterires might still have charge in them but thr cap will tell the phantom it is empty. I have removed the cap of a battery from a fully charged battery that has all the lights on. I then transplanted the cap into a pack that was empty (lipo cells were 3.2v) and when I pressed the switch it showed full capacity!! The lipo cells were so empty not one light should have lit up. Instead it showed 100% full. If I gave that battery to somebody they wouldn't be able to fly the phantom for less than a minute.

The cap has a circuit that meassures current drain and remembers last capacity level. This is probably why some people have flown with a full battery and crashed as if the cells go bad the cap still reports full charge as it has not seen the drain.

Wolfinze said:
But if you connect a extra battery of 12volts 10amperes to the DJI battery it will keep charging the DJI battery and it will take longer flight durattion !
Its almost like in your car, while driving you have a alternator that charges the car battery and its always recharged unless the alternator is damage !

A extra battery of 12volts with 6,7,8,9,or 10 or 20amperes will recharg the DJI battery and the drone will fly more this is 100% for sure.
Im going to test this and will insert here the fotos to prove it.

Paulo Lobo

How do you explain when i do the first step in the top, where it as a foto, in my first topic when i connect that way i can see in the mobile phone connected with vision plus that the battery is really recharging, for what i saw it was 87%, them after some minuts 88,89,90%....

Another question, i can not find the translation for "CAP" what is that ?
Im Portuguese.

Wolfinze said:
Just made some test around the Intelligent Flight Battery, and found that is possible to recharge battery while flying....
Think about it.
It takes how long for the charger to fill the battery?
It takes how long for the Phantom to empty the battery?

The Phantom uses a lot of electricity quickly.
You can't supply as fast as it wants it.
You can't carry a solar cell big enough to provide the electricity you want.

For all the rest I suggest studying some basic physics.
To fly longer needs more fuel/electricity.
To carry more fuel or bigger batteries makes your Phantom fly poorly and/or for less time.

DJI engineer designers already made a quadcopter and propulsion system that is right at the sweet spot that gives the best performance/flight time compromise.
Unless there is a huge breakthrough in battery technology, that's about what we're stuck with for now.

Reactions: Nerius
Meta4 said:
Wolfinze said:
Think about it.
It takes how long for the charger to fill the battery?
It takes how long for the Phantom to empty the battery?

The Phantom uses a lot of electricity quickly.
You can't supply as fast as it wants it.
You can't carry a solar cell big enough to provide the electricity you want.

For all the rest I suggest studying some basic physics.
To fly longer needs more fuel/electricity.
To carry more fuel or bigger batteries makes your Phantom fly poorly and/or for less time.

DJI engineer designers already made a quadcopter and propulsion system that is right at the sweet spot that gives the best performance/flight time compromise.
Unless there is a huge breakthrough in battery technology, that's about what we're stuck with for now.

+1 :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4