DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ and GoPro Silver

Reaction score
What can be done on this field ? Can I use anything from those 3 cables that are left after the original gimbal and camera are removed ? Roll&pitch are not so important but FPV is, can something be done with original cabling ? If not, how can it be done ?

Thanks

What can be done on this field ? Can I use anything from those 3 cables that are left after the original gimbal and camera are removed ? Roll&pitch are not so important but FPV is, can something be done with original cabling ? If not, how can it be done ?

Thanks
You simply cannot use a GoPro camera with either the Phantom 2 Vision or Vision + without spending so much money/time to make it worth your time.

If you want to use a GoPro as an aerial camera, your best option is the get a Phantom 2 with the H4/3D Gimbal and add the DJI iOSD Mini (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKZZQQS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) and Amazon.com: Boscam 32Ch 5.8G 600mw 5km Wireless AV Transmitter TS832 Receiver RC832 for FPV: Electronics

Good luck...

I just want to see what the camera sees so I dont need iOSD Mini with other. I will use 3axis gimbal from Ebay and then what I need to extend video feed.

So there is no possibility to extend the range of the GoPro and iOS app ? Only solution is to buy some small 4,3" screen and this Boscam thing ? Where to take the power for all that ?

Also, I need 2,4 GHz because the remote is on 5,8 GHz.

Thanks a lot

I just want to see what the camera sees so I dont need iOSD Mini with other. I will use 3axis gimbal from Ebay and then what I need to extend video feed.

So there is no possibility to extend the range of the GoPro and iOS app ? Only solution is to buy some small 4,3" screen and this Boscam thing ? Where to take the power for all that ?

Also, I need 2,4 GHz because the remote is on 5,8 GHz.

Thanks a lot
I am not aware of anyone who has done that. I contacted DJI directly asking if they had cabling options and their response was that they don't support it. I had a P2 Vision and got rid of it in favor of the P2 H4/3D option.

As far as a 3rd party 3 Axis gimbal from eBay, not a bed of roses there either. By the time you get everything working you will spend way more than you bargained for. Not to mention the time and frustration.

Good luck...

I have read 90% of very positive experiences for those 2 and 3 axis gimbals from Ebay. I payed for the Phantom 2 Vision+ without camera and gimbal around 250 Euros so only Gimbal for that price is not an option. There must be some other forum for DJI Phantoms, can you tell me what they are so I can search there for some advices ? I know it is the easiest to buy Phantom 3 but I dont have the time or the will to spend that money on a toy, I just want to record some things on the field occasionally.

3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Camera Mount &32bit Storm32 Controller /Gopro 3 4 i UK

Thanks a lot

I have read 90% of very positive experiences for those 2 and 3 axis gimbals from Ebay. I payed for the Phantom 2 Vision+ without camera and gimbal around 250 Euros so only Gimbal for that price is not an option. There must be some other forum for DJI Phantoms, can you tell me what they are so I can search there for some advices ? I know it is the easiest to buy Phantom 3 but I dont have the time or the will to spend that money on a toy, I just want to record some things on the field occasionally.

Thanks a lot
Sorry, I really don't have any other information. This is the only forum I belong to.

So... turns out, I was just about to make a post about this.

I just upgraded my camera from the stock P2V+ (latest/last revision) to a H4-3D Gimbal + GoPro Hero 4 Black.

I actually have a P3P as well, but I got a steal on the GoPro and I wanted a way to bring some life back to my old bird.

At least on Android, it works flawlessly, both with the stock app and with Litchi.

Usual considerations of course.... no control over shutter, ev, etc while in flight, though I'm looking at a way to hack the GoPro's wifi into the existing P2V+ wifi-stream. We'll see how that goes at a future date.

FPV does work though as does control over the H4-3D gimbal.
In fact, you get full 0-90 degree tilt and when enabled, +30 to -30 tilt. Aka, you can look up, and look slightly backwards as well.

~~~

All the instructions you need are here: RC Groups - View Single Post - DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection

No soldering and no additional parts required (though you might wish to purchase a longer 8-pin cable).

~~~

Few notes:

- You might need to get creative with cable routing. I got lazy and removed a single fin from the ventilation hole to route my cable.
- Be careful when moving the single pin on the 8 pin cable. Use a small tool to release it, don't just use force.
- Took me about 3-4 hours from beginning to end.
- After install, you'll need to connect to vision assistant and adjust the gimbal pitch options to fully enable control over the H4-3D.
- It's been reported the H4-3D only works with Android. I don't use iOS products for flying, so can't say myself one way or the other.

~~~

Few more notes:

1) If you're starting fresh, the best option is just to buy a P3A or P3P. Hand's down.
However, if like me, you already have a P3P, swapping for the GoPro is a nice way to extend the P2V+'s service life.

2) While analog video is often more reliable than the WiFi setup in the P2V+, with the Itelite panel, a 3rd party access point (swapped for the stock range extender), and FPVLR's linear polarized bird-side antennas, I get nearly the same FPV range on my P2V+ as my P3P (and that's with FPVLR's antennas and boosters).

The controller-side is admittedly a bit clunky (I carry a power pack in my pocket), but it works well for me.

I also boost the 5 GHz control signal and my replacement access point is slightly higher power than the stock range extender. I've also software modified the P2V+'s wifi module for more power output, tweaked the DHCP server, and changed from "WDS" to regular "Access Point" mode.

3) Finally, I have a "late revision" P2V+, with upgraded ESCs/motors, vented wifi module, and the sticky goop on the motor wires. In addition, I've found the internal wiring has additional interference chokes, glue to hold connectors in, and braided cables in some places where the older P2V+s didn't.

All in all, for a "last generation" UAS, she's still pretty capable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mako79 and Karanba
Well looking at this post on rcgroups it seems to me that this can be done with EVERY gimbal, regarding getting FPV from GoPro ? Am I wrong ?

Since the movement of the gimbal is not usable in DJI app without Quickrelease from Dronexpert.nl then we should be able to get FPV from GoPro somehow. Can it be done ?

So GoPro + Ebay gimbal, what can be done in telemetry and FPV department ? I

I need either GoPro video to see what it is recording or the telemetry, in separate apps. So if I want telemetry I can use DJI app, when I want to see what it records it can be GoPro app or even better DJI app but if it can be done, that Phantom sends GoPro video trough its WiFi module ?

I need either GoPro video to see what it is recording or the telemetry, in separate apps. So if I want telemetry I can use DJI app, when I want to see what it records it can be GoPro app or even better DJI app but if it can be done, that Phantom sends GoPro video trough its WiFi module ?

The video output of the GoPro goes through the regular P2V+ video channel. It shows up just like the stock camera in the DJI app (or Litchi, which I prefer to use).

Again, this is a super simple, no cost, no solder mod. You just need a H4-3D and a GoPro 4 Silver/Black.

The downside is that you cannot control the shutter or video settings while in flight. You could use the GoPro wifi at short range, but unless you ensure it's on a different non-overlapping channel from the Phantom's WiFi, I wouldn't recommend it, as you'll be adding additional interference.

Well it is not simple or no cost when I need this overpriced gimbal :) Does it need then also Quickrelease ??

Can I do it without H4-3D, with any gimbal ? Can I connect GoPro inside the Phantom 2 Vision+ and that it sends video to the DJI app ?

It wont interfere because RC is on 5.8 GHz. Or you mean wifi for telemetry ? How can I change the channel ?

Does this mod work on a P2V+ and H4-3D Gimbal as well ??

I'm running a P2V+ (late model v3) with a H4-3D and a GoPro 4 Black.

After a bit of cable re-routing, all is well, at least on Android.

FPV view through Litchi or native DJI app. Gimbal control from controller. Pretty much everything.

Only thing you lose is control (shutter/ev/etc) over the camera from the app.

I'm running a P2V+ (late model v3) with a H4-3D and a GoPro 4 Black.

After a bit of cable re-routing, all is well, at least on Android.

FPV view through Litchi or native DJI app. Gimbal control from controller. Pretty much everything.

Only thing you lose is control (shutter/ev/etc) over the camera from the app.

Thanx for answer i will do it since all my tabs and phones also is androide :)

Well it is not simple or no cost when I need this overpriced gimbal :) Does it need then also Quickrelease ??

Can I do it without H4-3D, with any gimbal ? Can I connect GoPro inside the Phantom 2 Vision+ and that it sends video to the DJI app ?

It wont interfere because RC is on 5.8 GHz. Or you mean wifi for telemetry ? How can I change the channel ?

Don't get the quick release. Its only good if you want to switch back and forth from the V+ camera to GoPro. You will still need to buy the H3-3D gimbal if you go the quick release.

All you need is a $10 15cm Zenmuse cable and a H3-3D or H4-3D. The mod is easy if you already know how to pull apart the phantom 2 V+. You want to get the zenmuse H3/H4-3D gimbal as it is all plug play and no headache. You can use aftermarkets gimbals but you will need to know how to re-route power and video out and enable tilt. Some of the aftermarkets need refining to get the gimbals to stabilise. You also get more resale value on the DJI zenmuse gear.

Read Pitcher's comments.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 17 - RC Groups

And you don't need to activate the gopro's 2.4ghz wifi as you will be using the DJI app for FPV.
There is very limited range on the GoPro's wifi. It's stated 300ft, but realistically you can only get about 60ft before it gets choppy. And did i mention lag??? The GOpro's wifi is only good for configuring and framing.

Reactions: Shammyh
Wow, what a great answer man ! Well this is my first Phantom in life so I have ordered 3 axis gimbal with Storm32 controller which has great reviews. It is not expensive and also if I crash it I can buy almost every part separately and for a small price.

Regarding this link, I can then get the power to the WiFi inside the Phantom and I get the telemetry just by doing that ?

I would like to connect gimbal movement up&down and that is it for now. I think it can be easily done ?

Later if I decide to buy Zenmuse thing, I can get real FPV and the telemetry on ma iPhone without Ouickrelease, just by connecting it to the right places ? I dont want to cut any wires and burn something.

Don't get the quick release. Its only good if you want to switch back and forth from the V+ camera to GoPro. You will still need to buy the H3-3D gimbal if you go the quick release.

All you need is a $10 15cm Zenmuse cable and a H3-3D or H4-3D. The mod is easy if you already know how to pull apart the phantom 2 V+. You want to get the zenmuse H3/H4-3D gimbal as it is all plug play and no headache. You can use aftermarkets gimbals but you will need to know how to re-route power and video out and enable tilt. Some of the aftermarkets need refining to get the gimbals to stabilise. You also get more resale value on the DJI zenmuse gear.

Read Pitcher's comments.
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus 2.4ghz Wifi Module - wiring diagram / camera connection - Page 17 - RC Groups

And you don't need to activate the gopro's 2.4ghz wifi as you will be using the DJI app for FPV.
There is very limited range on the GoPro's wifi. It's stated 300ft, but realistically you can only get about 60ft before it gets choppy. And did i mention lag??? The GOpro's wifi is only good for configuring and framing.

Exactly, on all points.

So if I buy Zenmuse H3-3D or H4-3D ( whats the difference ? ) I just need one longer cable in order to get it to fully work gimbal movement, telemetry, FPV with DJI App or any other free app ? I need to move one cable from place 6 to place 8 on that link, is that the only hard thing in that ? I dont like to mess with those tiny pins.

Maybe I could do that after I master the use of this ebay gimbal and Zenmuses becomes cheaper once Hero 5 camera is out.

So if I buy Zenmuse H3-3D or H4-3D ( whats the difference ? ) I just need one longer cable in order to get it to fully work gimbal movement, telemetry, FPV with DJI App or any other free app ? I need to move one cable from place 6 to place 8 on that link, is that the only hard thing in that ? I dont like to mess with those tiny pins.

Maybe I could do that after I master the use of this ebay gimbal and Zenmuses becomes cheaper once Hero 5 camera is out.

H3 is Gopro 3 series. H4 is for the Gopro 4 series. 3D refers to 3 axis stabilisation gimbal.
When you redirect the wifi modul cable to the cam port, your simply powering up the wifi module to give you telemetry, radar etc. Some people stop here and fly without the camera and gimbal as they now have data on their screens via the DJI app to assist with flight.

When you plug in the zenmuse cable to the H3-3D + Gopro, you are now giving it 'new' eyes.
This mod is much better than the P2 nonvision system as it gives you 2 way coms. 2 way coms means you ground station, dynamic home point and the ability to use third party apps like Litchi and have Go Pro footage.

saw this today
Phantom 2 with h4-3D | DJI Phantom Forum
if price is right, may help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4